Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AP use side cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In discussing the current supercharging transfer offer with a colleague, I was wondering if simple AP would be noticeably different (I’d lose FSD in the process). This colleague was of the opinion that basic AP doesn’t use side cameras as EAP and FSD do.
Does anyone know if this is accurate ? I’m assuming this could affect the capacity to react to neighboring cars drifting towards the car.

There are no "Side" labeled cameras. There are Repeater/Fender cameras (Tesla seems to have changed the nomenclature from Repeater to Fender) and B-Pillar cameras on the sides and AP definitely uses uses the Repeater/Fender cameras and likely also uses the B-Pillar cameras.

Reactions: drtimhill
In discussing the current supercharging transfer offer with a colleague, I was wondering if simple AP would be noticeably different (I’d lose FSD in the process). This colleague was of the opinion that basic AP doesn’t use side cameras as EAP and FSD do.
Does anyone know if this is accurate ? I’m assuming this could affect the capacity to react to neighboring cars drifting towards the car.

EAP/FSD use repeater and B-pillar cametas to change lane.

Autopilot does not allow that feature so there's no need to use those code lines. That means those cameras are active but ignored.

Just like older cars with a radar, but switched to Vision-only FSDb, is still on but ignored by the codes.

Just like older cars with a radar, but switched to Vision-only FSDb, is still on but ignored by the codes.
That would surprise me. FSDb must be using either the B-pillar or Repeater cams for lane intrusion.

Reactions: drtimhill
EAP/FSD use repeater and B-pillar cametas to change lane.

Autopilot does not allow that feature so there's no need to use those code lines. That means those cameras are active but ignored.

The 11.x stack uses ALL the cameras ALL the time to build its view of the cars surroundings. How much it uses this data to make driving decisions is based on the choice of AP vs EAP vs FSDb.

Reactions: Tam
FSDb must be using either the B-pillar or Repeater cams for lane intrusion.

Correct. Tesla Radar is not used for lane change. Cameras are. There are no radars on Tesla's sides.

Reactions: KArnold
That would surprise me. FSDb must be using either the B-pillar or Repeater cams for lane intrusion.

That’s what I’m wondering about. I’ve had FSD/EAP react to lane intrusion or close call at getting side swiped and while I’d miss the convenience of automatic lane change , FSD’s general awareness of what’s around the vehicle I’d be more disappointed in losing.

So it sounds like standard AP would not react to another vehicle encroaching in its lane ?