Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does HW4 matter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why the sarcastic comment. Seems pretty common on Tesla forums not sure why. If you don't have a useful answer, just pass. Clearly am not an experienced Tesla owner/fan and just trying to figure it all out and learn about Tesla's stuff. If my question seems a bit ridiculous or silly to you, that's fine.

I asked because I thought there might be some articles or leaked info somewhere. Being new to Tesla stuff in general, there is no way I could tell without asking before I start to figure it out all myself as to what kind if info might already be there vs impossible to get.
Sorry pal. Nobody knows. You can listen to folks wild ass speculation. There are dozens of threads on the topic.

HW4 could be the greatest thing next year or more of the same. Nobody knows.

Reactions: CTruck_BMW
Sorry pal. Nobody knows. You can listen to folks wild ass speculation. There are dozens of threads on the topic.

HW4 could be the greatest thing next year or more of the same. Nobody knows.
I agree. But my point is, why would anyone need a better hardware for FSD if the HW3 yet with a non-final beta FSD is able to do all the below (see link below). It is just mind blowing ... to me this is enough, I don't care of they make FSD any better, it is already too good with the recent 11.4.6 from a few days ago ...and this is even still opened for further refinement with H3.... again I am a newbie so I might be just too excited not knowing what am talking about. I get the rain and low resolution thing under snow/rain conditions, but am sure at some point we can also get updated camera for HW3....

Reading more about it, in predilection is that HW3 will easily reach Level 4 FSD.... whereas HW4 will reach level 5 FSD in a couple years in the future (of course the only difference between L4 and L5 self driving is that L5 can drive under all and any condition, whereas L4 needs some conditions like no heavy snow or rain. Elon himself said that current Tesla's on the road will reach L4 soon.... L4 is more than enough for me I guess... If there is ever heavy rain or snow, I would rather drive anyway.

Last edited:
[...] why would anyone need a better hardware for FSD if the HW3 yet with a non-final beta FSD is able to do all the below (see link below).
  1. Tesla has admitted they overfit to the areas where Whole Mars drives. FSDb sucks where I live. It can't even drive me to the grocery store and it is often unsafe. It was a big relief to go back to basic Autopilot last week. I use Autopilot for most of my driving.
  2. If HW4 can get to level 4 or 5 while HW3 can't then this is a huge difference. For example, You can have the car pick you up or go park itself or drive your kids to school. It's like having a 24-hour chauffeur at your beck and call. This changes everything. I think it's unlikely that HW4 will get to level 5 while HW3 can't but it is possible. My bet is it will take HW5 or HW6.

I agree. But my point is, why would anyone need a better hardware for FSD if the HW3 yet with a non-final beta FSD is able to do all the below (see link below). It is just mind blowing ... to me this is enough, I don't care of they make FSD any better, it is already too good with the recent 11.4.6 from a few days ago ...and this is even still opened for further refinement with H3.... again I am a newbie so I might be just too excited not knowing what am talking about. I get the rain and low resolution thing under snow/rain conditions, but am sure at some point we can also get updated camera for HW3....

Reading more about it, in predilection is that HW3 will easily reach Level 4 FSD.... whereas HW4 will reach level 5 FSD in a couple years in the future (of course the only difference between L4 and L5 self driving is that L5 can drive under all and any condition, whereas L4 needs some conditions like no heavy snow or rain. Elon himself said that current Tesla's on the road will reach L4 soon.... L4 is more than enough for me I guess... If there is ever heavy rain or snow, I would rather drive anyway.

Yes, all of that sounds like you are extremely new to all of this FSD stuff, especially when you quote Elon's promises as gospel.

A great example of the tricks they are playing is currently offering free FSD for 3 months as part of the referral program. WTF? FSD is so gimped on the HW4 cars you aren't getting much more than AP anyway. What a scam! So give me 3 months if you want, but let me choose when I want them. For example, when HW4 is sorted out and not worse than HW3... Another brilliant marketing move by Tesla. Which brings us back to the question, when, if ever, will HW4 be better than HW3 and full FSD functionality restored?
So true.

I traded in a 2019 X that had enhanced AP that was far superior than what I have now with 3 month FSD on a 2023 X with HW4.

As a tech person, if you can get the latest hardware and ok with waiting for 100% compatibility, then get HW4
HW4 will enable the most advanced functionality vs HW3 for a longer period of time
Be don’t wait too long, HW5 is coming…
And right after that, HW6

I think what we are seeing is what happen in the past when Tesla went from AP1 to AP2. The hardware was in place but the software wasn't. FF to today and look at the software improvements that allow AP2 to do what it does. Now the timeframe of HW4 software being fully implemented will be the underlying question.

As I indicated, I am in the process of buying a 2022 or 2023 MS or maybe MX. How important is it that I go for a new or fairly new 2023 to get the HW4? Will I regret it in the future if I get HW3? What really am I losing by just having HW3 instead of HW4?

I envision that I will be on a subscription model and be a user for the FSD.... is the HW3 really as good as HW4... why the change if HW3 was already good?
Hi,

I think I'll share a little bit of a different perspective. What if you do wait for HW4, then HW5 comes out. Will you feel the same way you do now? Ultimately, it's a car and unless you're willing to replace it every so often when new hardware comes out, you will end up behind. While it is wise to go with the latest hardware you can, I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the thought.

If you find a deal on a model you really like that fits your budget and has was you want, go for it! Regardless if you wait or get one now, you'll be 'stuck' at that point in times hardware until you trade-in.

Reactions: kpanda17
I agree. But my point is, why would anyone need a better hardware for FSD if the HW3 yet with a non-final beta FSD is able to do all the below (see link below). ...

Reading more about it, in predilection is that HW3 will easily reach Level 4 FSD.... .
Elon himself said that current Tesla's on the road will reach L4 soon.... L4 is more than enough for me I guess... If there is ever heavy rain or snow, I would rather drive anyway.
I will just echo some other comments.

1) Don't take promises from ANYONE (even Elon) about when "FSD will be ready and approved for use."
2) I would not expect that any vehicle that Tesla sells today will be Level 4 or 5 capable. That might happen (and HW4 should have a better chance), but it might not. Even if the hardware is capable...it may be years before the software is good enough for regulatory approval.
3) I am *hopeful* that HW3 and HW4 will allow for Level 3 at least on interstates and major US highways. That is, "hands off and eyes off" driving while I'm in the driver seat...ready to take over when the car requests it.

To me, level 3 on all highways is a more reasonable expectation for "near term" capability...within the next year or two. Even that is not guaranteed.

Reactions: BitJam
My slight off topic Q.

About to subscribe to FSD, currently running 26.1. After the purchase, what happens next and how many hours or days until I can use?
1. FSD
2. FSDb

To get beta, do I select advanced and I will be moved to thst vs keeping me on non beta FSD?
Question is because, I’m about to take a long trip and want to use FSD.

My slight off topic Q.

About to subscribe to FSD, currently running 26.1. After the purchase, what happens next and how many hours or days until I can use?
1. FSD
2. FSDb

To get beta, do I select advanced and I will be moved to thst vs keeping me on non beta FSD?
Question is because, I’m about to take a long trip and want to use FSD.
A few comments:
1) Does 26.x even support FSD Beta? (I did not think it did, but could be wrong.)
2) Do you currently have EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) for your car?
3) Do you have HW3 or HW4 ?

At the end of the day, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it or sell theirs for. There is always going to be a cheap one out there if you are willing to drive far enough to get it.

So many factors that go into this. Higher miles, wear, add-ons, smoking or not. I saw some Plaids that were lower priced but after looking at some of them I could see why they were that low.

I could have found one less than what I paid but I got a very clean one and had the upgrades I wanted. There is a running change that I value in the 2022 model year that you won't have earlier 2022 for less than a later one.

There will always be a cheaper one after you buy yours so. Spend the money you want and don't look back. Use autotempest and set up a search. Worked well for me. I didn't buy the cheapest and found what I wanted at a fair price. No issue with my car.

500 mile search showed cheapest Tesla on car gurus $17K
I could not confirm it has FSD and not salvage
You would figure people understand new and short term potential with a salvage Tesla with FSD, but maybe not.

Enhanced AP (EAP) was on a car that had USS. So he was able to do things like summon, smart summon and autopark. Currently HW4 doesn't support any of that (lack of USS or equivalent) and nobody knows when it will be available, if ever. It should be, but with Tesla, it could take a year. Nobody knows.