Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't buy FSD for $2k more. [from 2019 - FSD upgrade not available for 2k at this time]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incorrect. With FSD, at least option code APF2 is supposed to be set; so that if any new FSD-only features DO come, I would get them. With APF1, that won't happen. It's a matter of provisioning, even if there are no active features.

People who order the FSD upgrade at least get their car flagged as having FSD; for eligibility for "Whatever that means in the future". This is done by changing Option Code APF1 (EAP) to APF2 (FSD).

I fully understand that there are no new features. But yes, provisioning DOES happen to allow the car to get any FSD features that do happen in the future, and that IS by changing this option code - and in my case, that is not happening. (The service center has confirmed that FSD is not showing as being provisioned as an option on the car.)

@michidragon are you pulling your option codes from Tesla API? On my account I can see both EAP (purchased back in Dec with the car) and FSD (purchased last night), but when I use the Tesla API to pull a list of option_codes I see APF0.

In fact according to the option codes I have a black rear wheel drive if I map the codes against Option Codes, but my car is a blue performance model

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
So basically your response is "Be cynical, like I am."

So in other words I should sit down and shut up because you feel like no features will ever come, so why complain?

Something went wrong with the upgrade - on their end. All this "But there aren't any features yet!" is irrelevant. My point is, in the state my account and car is in now, *if any do come, I will not get them*, because the option was not provisioned.

If they push, say, traffic light recognition, in two months, on AP 2.5, I will not get it. Because it has not been attached to my car or account as an option that I have purchased.

But I suppose it's OK because some people here just say "there are no features yet".

Because down the line, when a whole lot of other things change yet again, it's gonna be even harder to explain to the black hole that is CS that something is wrong. Right now at least I have a recent transaction to point to. Down the line when it all gets shuffled again - who knows. It's better to get it squared away now when it's at least explainable.

THANK YOU. This. Let's say they DO upgrade people to HW3, and they go through batches of people who have "APF2" (FSD option code) on their car to set appointments. If that were the case, mine would never come.

Having it unprovisioned is not an OK thing. Yes, $2000 for a promise. But at this point I'm not even getting the promise, because the purchase of the promise, or whatever you want to call it, isn't even registering in their freaking system.

i'm not talking about your specific situation. i'm just saying in general people who are buying this for 2k are buying an empty promise. the ones who aren't buying buy actual materialized goods/services. not a dream.

i'm not talking about your specific situation. i'm just saying in general people who are buying this for 2k are buying an empty promise. the ones who aren't buying buy actual materialized goods/services. not a dream.

All I really want out of it would be traffic light recognition, stop sign recognition - and on the outside possibility, HW3 that'll possibly make existing features perform better - if not only due to a faster framerate and the ability for more processing power to track more obstacles/vehicles at once. (I'm getting less and less confident about HW3 being a thing as time goes on though. A lot of murmurings lately seem to indicate that they just might be backtracking on the 'FSD gets HW3' "promises", err, I mean tweets.) I'm not really in it for the "your car will drive while you sleep" pie in the sky stuff. I never thought that would happen, and still don't. The most I'm hoping for is sort of "Enhanced Enhanced Autopilot". Basically I want to get the new AP features they release as time goes on. True "FSD" isn't a must for me, and honestly I think it's many years away. Things like traffic light and stop sign recognition would be nice, though.
@michidragon are you pulling your option codes from Tesla API? On my account I can see both EAP (purchased back in Dec with the car) and FSD (purchased last night), but when I use the Tesla API to pull a list of option_codes I see APF0.

In fact according to the option codes I have a black rear wheel drive if I map the codes against Option Codes, but my car is a blue performance model

I am pulling them from from the API, yeah. Though a guy from "Technical Services" also says he went into the car and couldn't see the FSD flag. -- Now, you purchased FSD last night, and see APF0 … Did you ever get a touchscreen confirmation about the FSD update? Most folks who purchased say that they have. A pop-up that confirms that the upgrade is complete. I'm betting if/when you do see that box, when you pull from the API, it'll say APF2 not APF0. That is really, really strange though that you have EAP and the API returns APF0.

(You say the codes indicate black RWD but its a blue P3D - Does the phone app show your car the correct color? I thought these option codes determined all of that stuff.)

I guess your other mismatches give me some hope … sorta … but also, this whole thing just feels like a big mess where most of Tesla has no idea what's going on...

...Except for billing. That system, of course, is flawlessly on point. Isn't that always the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elixir

All I really want out of it would be traffic light recognition, stop sign recognition - and on the outside possibility, HW3 that'll possibly make existing features perform better - if not only due to a faster framerate and the ability for more processing power to track more obstacles/vehicles at once. (I'm getting less and less confident about HW3 being a thing as time goes on though. A lot of murmurings lately seem to indicate that they just might be backtracking on the 'FSD gets HW3' "promises", err, I mean tweets.) I'm not really in it for the "your car will drive while you sleep" pie in the sky stuff. I never thought that would happen, and still don't. The most I'm hoping for is sort of "Enhanced Enhanced Autopilot". Basically I want to get the new AP features they release as time goes on. True "FSD" isn't a must for me, and honestly I think it's many years away. Things like traffic light and stop sign recognition would be nice, though.

I am pulling them from from the API, yeah. Though a guy from "Technical Services" also says he went into the car and couldn't see the FSD flag. -- Now, you purchased FSD last night, and see APF0 … Did you ever get a touchscreen confirmation about the FSD update? Most folks who purchased say that they have. A pop-up that confirms that the upgrade is complete. I'm betting if/when you do see that box, when you pull from the API, it'll say APF2 not APF0. That is really, really strange though that you have EAP and the API returns APF0.

(You say the codes indicate black RWD but its a blue P3D - Does the phone app show your car the correct color? I thought these option codes determined all of that stuff.)

I guess your other mismatches give me some hope … sorta … but also, this whole thing just feels like a big mess where most of Tesla has no idea what's going on...

...Except for billing. That system, of course, is flawlessly on point. Isn't that always the way.

Ignore the API, I've seen a ton of posts about bad info from it. Log into your account on tesla.com Does your config list FSD?

If so you're good. If not they need to fix that.

A Recap my 2016 S75D December Build with AP2 and enhanced autopilot showed FSD option as 3K (Should be 2k) in my tesla account. Yesterday spent 1 hour on the phone with customer support (mostly in queue) gave them screenshot and said they would fix it. Logged in today in the same boat went to service center where they spent 3 hours trying to work with corporate with no luck. Said corp will fix it and if not done my Monday will just adjust price for me. Left with a headache..argh

Just ordered the FSD option for $2600 Canadian dollars!

After viewing the underwhelming Tesla Y presentation, I realize I love the Tesla 3 even more!

Thx @S4WRXTTCS
Totally agree with your opinion

So what does paying $2K get you?

It's get you the HW3 upgrade.

So what does that do for you?

Under normal driving it gives you better neural network accuracy, and faster detection. The means the car will be able to better detect vehicles, and pedestrians. This is going to happen practically out of the gate as they already have the NN for it.

So you're already getting something even if no FSD features are released. Odds are feature will get released as there are a lot of neat things you can do with large neural networks like the HW3 is capable of. Basically you're going from something that was at it's limits to something Tesla has a lot more room to grow with.

What happens if you don't?

You'll see the HW3 people getting features that you don't get. The HW2 people have already experienced this as they don't get Dash Cam, or Sentry Mode.

My advise is to upgrade because you don't want to be stuck in limbo land when TMC is full of adult kids opening their Christmas present, and your stuck with "I decided not to on principal so no fun toy to play with today".

Disclaimer - I would have said to buy at $3K, and now it's $2K. So my timing can't be trusted on this kind of thing. Take my advice at your own risk

Last edited:
Reactions: fseir
Counter to OP advice: I'm planning to buy the 2k upgrade for both of my Teslas

Here's Why:

1. I believe the upgrade to AP 3.0 hardware alone is worth 2k. For this price Tesla will install their new HW3 custom ASIC solution which has 10x the processing power in the same or less power envelope.

2. At some point in the future the existing HW 2/2.5 cars will stop receiving new features as Tesla focuses on development efforts that exploit the HW3 custom ASIC HW. Besides paying for this upgrade the other option to get these features will be trading in your car and buying a new Tesla, which will cost quite a bit more than 2k.

Put my orders in today. :cool:

Just ordered the FSD option for $2600 Canadian dollars!

After viewing the underwhelming Tesla Y presentation, I realize I love the Tesla 3 even more!

Thx @S4WRXTTCS
Totally agree with your opinion

So what does paying $2K get you?

It's get you the HW3 upgrade.

So what does that do for you?

Under normal driving it gives you better neural network accuracy, and faster detection. The means the car will be able to better detect vehicles, and pedestrians. This is going to happen practically out of the gate as they already have the NN for it.

So you're already getting something even if no FSD features are released. Odds are feature will get released as there are a lot of neat things you can do with large neural networks like the HW3 is capable of. Basically you're going from something that was at it's limits to something Tesla has a lot more room to grow with.

What happens if you don't?

You'll see the HW3 people getting features that you don't get. The HW2 people have already experienced this as they don't get Dash Cam, or Sentry Mode.

My advise is to upgrade because you don't want to be stuck in limbo land when TMC is full of adult kids opening their Christmas present, and your stuck with "I decided not to on principal so no fun toy to play with today".

Disclaimer - I would have said to buy at $3K, and now it's $2K. So my timing can't be trusted on this kind of thing. Take my advice at your own risk
Do you get a commission from FOMO? ;)

Do you guys think this would increase value much in terms of trade in a few years down the line? Like would Carmax (or even Tesla) give me $2000 more in a few years, considering this could be “worth” $4000, a few years from now? Or is this in the bucket of premium features that more quickly depreciate?

Have a 2016 X with ap2 so thinking could be worth it if this gets me HW3 on it... but I think there is a real possibility I might rather save that money and put it towards model y in a few years (depends on whether the 3rd row is actually usable at all in the Y).

Edit: I posted this here because also considering buying on my model 3.

I was ambivalent until I made 2 calls to Tesla today. Spoke with a guy in SLC named Cody. The call blew me away -- now there is zero chance I will shell out another $2k to Tesla. First, Cody said he had no information that buying FSD would involve HW3. I asked him about Elon's tweet, etc, and he said that his managers have told him there is no expectation of HW3. He said it is possible, but it is very uncertain. Kudos for his honesty, but really, would anyone spend $2K for some vague set of promises that are not in writing. Remember, those of us who purchased EAP were told it will be cheaper to purchase at the point of sale that upgrade later. Second, I asked him why my neighbor, who I referred to purchase her car, is getting the equivalent for EAP+FSD for $5000. This or course hurts given that I was told that I would pay less. His explanation: it cost less to send a full software update to my neighbor, then to do a piecemeal update to my car with EAP. Talk about crazy explanations. All I can say is that Tesla is digging there own grave with responses like this. I have sadly already dissuaded two friends from purchasing a Tesla. Just too much uncertainty and smoke and mirrors.

Do you guys think this would increase value much in terms of trade in a few years down the line? Like would Carmax (or even Tesla) give me $2000 more in a few years, considering this could be “worth” $4000, a few years from now? Or is this in the bucket of premium features that more quickly depreciate?

Have a 2016 X with ap2 so thinking could be worth it if this gets me HW3 on it... but I think there is a real possibility I might rather save that money and put it towards model y in a few years (depends on whether the 3rd row is actually usable at all in the Y).

Edit: I posted this here because also considering buying on my model 3.

It depends on whether the features it enable are ones that people find desirable down the road. In general, car options are worth almost nothing on the used car market... but tesla is not like a regular car. It wont be the hardware that causes any sort of value in the car, it would be whatever features it may or may not enable.

Example: If HW3 ends up enabling all 8 cameras to be on in sentry mode, but HW2.5 doesnt, in addition to enabling in town autopilot features that can only run on that hardware, it might end up with a little extra value. With that being said, I doubt it will ever have the amount of value it actually costs right now (2k) let alone more, so.. dont buy it because it might have value later.

Buy it or not based on whether you think you will want features it is going to provide, because its not going to give you enough resale value to justify purchasing it (my opinion only).

Reactions: Terthen