Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the door that’s used the most so that makes sense it’s the first to fail.

I now have the gear, microswitches and a rebuild service available.

Door Handle

Nice. Quite possible I might buy some of these in another 6 months or so.

I don't know the difference between the 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc. Which ones will they work with? I'm not even sure which ones I've got. My S is a mid 2014 model, pre-AP.

My 3rd door handle broke yesterday. This time the motor keeps making sound as if it wants to push out or pull in the handle. Doesn’t this (eventually) drain the battery? Currently on vacation and no service center close by...

My 3rd door handle broke yesterday. This time the motor keeps making sound as if it wants to push out or pull in the handle. Doesn’t this (eventually) drain the battery? Currently on vacation and no service center close by...
It will eventually time out and stop. It’s not a noticeable amount of power that you’ll come back and your car is missing 10-15 miles overnight or something.

I've just had a broken door handle a week for 3 weeks. First, the right rear was repaired, the day after the repair the left rear broke. Two days after that was repaired, the driver's door broke. One of the rear doors was whirring away for 4 days, even when the key hadn't been near it for >24 hours. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed, especially as I live 300km from the service centre. I didn't wait for the fourth one to break, I had them replace that one anyway

You would have gen 2-2.5 handles.
It might be too new to tell, but any idea if the 3rd gen ones actually improve reliability?

I've just had a broken door handle a week for 3 weeks. First, the right rear was repaired, the day after the repair the left rear broke. Two days after that was repaired, the driver's door broke. One of the rear doors was whirring away for 4 days, even when the key hadn't been near it for >24 hours. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed, especially as I live 300km from the service centre. I didn't wait for the fourth one to break, I had them replace that one anyway
Did they just replace it with the same gen or did they retrofit the 3rd gen parts?

Did you only check it when you had your FOB on you? It should time out and the car shut down so long as you don’t come near it with the key.

Without fob: both broken door handles continue making sound 24h+. Indeed, my first broken door handle last year did time out after 5mins or so. NB my third broken door handle is the same one as my first broken handle they replaced last year. Apparently no improvement.

My third handle just broke. The first was slightly out of warranty and Tesla fixed it at no charge. The second I fixed using EV Tuning Solutions' wonderful kit that includes a stainless steel paddle gear and superior microswitches. Another replacement kit is due to arrive tomorrow so the third I'll fix this weekend, possibly, if I'm inclined to brave the incredible heat that's even made my garage intolerable.

Surprisingly, the only one that hasn't yet broken is the driver's handle (which will probably break next Wednesday now that I've jinxed it).

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW
It might be too new to tell, but any idea if the 3rd gen ones actually improve reliability?

The third gen parts are somewhat more reliable and somewhat not. The microswitches are now a hall effect sensor but even that appears to crap out. The new stand alone module also craps out. Still too soon for many to have gear failures but even the new redesigned gear with all the windows in the metal is cast so it'll eventually break as well.

Did they just replace it with the same gen or did they retrofit the 3rd gen parts?

3rd gen have a different plastic housing. They're now offering the Gen 2.0 handle housing but iwth gen 3 hall effect sensor and module. It's still going to fail it's just a question of how and why. It's really wierd the modules keep shorting out.

• Helpful
Reactions: MIT_S60