Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So an update from the San Francisco Service Center today. I spoke to one service rep on the phone about the fact that I had heard that some people on TMC had finally resolved their ghosting issues with a new windshield, and that I was interested in finally doing the same. He said that he was not aware of any new windshield, so a replacement would be unlikely to resolve the problem.

When I got to the SC to pick up my car, I was speaking to a different rep and inquired again about the ghosting issue and a potential fix. She seemed much more knowledgeable about the issue and had the following points to say:
  1. Tesla had changed windshield suppliers and according to customers this new windshield did not have the ghosting issue to nearly the same degree.
  2. This windshield is being put on all new Model X's coming off the line in Fremont currently.
  3. If they were to order a new windshield for me, it would be unlikely to be one of these new ones as that supply was being used exclusively for new production and there was some remaining stock of the old windshields that were being sent to the SCs whenever they requested one.
I pointed out that (3) must not be absolutely true as there were some people on TMC who had received this windshield (P/N 1106012-00-A ?) and it has solved their problems. She told me that they would try get the factory to supply this particular P/N for me and they would call when it comes in to install it. Fingers crossed...

Here is the invoice for my replaced windshield if it helps your case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 6.03.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 6.03.38 PM.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 166
Here is the invoice for my replaced windshield if it helps your case.

My 2016 X is in the shop, and they told me they have a "test" to see if the windshield was "in spec"... Came back as "in spec" and they won't do a replacement.

This is my post (#127) from 2016 about the issue when I first brought it to Tesla's attention: Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

I'm very disappointed and not sure where to go from here...

My 2016 X is in the shop, and they told me they have a "test" to see if the windshield was "in spec"... Came back as "in spec" and they won't do a replacement.

This is my post (#127) from 2016 about the issue when I first brought it to Tesla's attention: Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

I'm very disappointed and not sure where to go from here...

Mine was "in spec" and I kept pursuing the issue and I mentioned how other owners were getting their windshields replaced and they finally replaced it. Got tired of me calling them, I think. My service manager was quite frustrated with Tesla engineering. He took my car home for the evening to see if he could see the ghosting and agreed that it was unacceptable even though the test said it was fine. In the end, they did the right thing.

Reactions: Fiddler and Cowby
Been awhile since I posted on here and surprised folks are still seeing issues. Tesla changed manufacturers back in July last year. I got my new windshield early Aug 2017. Mine was within spec but ghosting was seen. Service was able to send me photos of the refract test they do. The laser was within a green box but not dead center which measures the so called ghosting. They tested three new windshields and all showed the laser dead center. After my windshield was changed zero ghosting.
Here's item from my invoice...

Verified "ghosting" on current windshield. Replaced windshield with new assembly and verified "ghosting" no longer present.
PartQuantityMX WSHLD ASSEMBLY HW2.0 LHD HWA K4D-3 WEDGE (1105964-00-B)

I’ve been watching this thread with interest ever since I got my X (early build signature), but didn’t raise the concern with service since I thought I could live with it. After all, in the daytime it’s not an issue and the thought of replacing the windshield seems like waste. But it finally got the best of me after a road trip at night. Eight hours straight hours of looking at taillights doubled on on top of the other.

The service center I dealt with is awesome, but the advisor apologized and said that it was in spec. Thing is the new model X loaner I had didn’t have this issue, so clearly they’ve resolved the issue with new new builds.

If anyone wants to call them and advocate on my behalf please feel free!

02BD5D7F-0896-4AF7-86A1-78A7F16D7A8A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
It’s likely in spec of whatever tolerances ( leeway ) Tesla gave to their supplier. Can’t change that on already produced screens, that would be expensive
I would say vision clarity expected out of glass, that too the one on the windshield should be 99.99%.
Since people who have this issue are seeing double tail lights, I don’t think Tesla should take this lightly and just say, “it is within spec”.

Reactions: KrisB and Cowby
I spoke with my service center about it again yesterday after I told them I didn't accept what they said about it being "in spec" and no one had gotten back to me about it previously. They called me back and left a message saying that they could "meet me half way" on the issue. I'm planning on calling them back today to find out what that means, but I'm not willing to pay anything for this, I see 3! images of stop lights, tail lights, head lights, and 2 images of stop signs and speed signs in my windshield.

I spoke with my service center about it again yesterday after I told them I didn't accept what they said about it being "in spec" and no one had gotten back to me about it previously. They called me back and left a message saying that they could "meet me half way" on the issue. I'm planning on calling them back today to find out what that means, but I'm not willing to pay anything for this, I see 3! images of stop lights, tail lights, head lights, and 2 images of stop signs and speed signs in my windshield.
Can you take pictures of these double visions and post them here just for others’ reference? You might also want to take those pictures with you when you go to the SC next time to show them how bad it is. Might help in convincing them to fix it free of charge.
Hope it goes well for you. Drive safe.

Can you take pictures of these double visions and post them here just for others’ reference? You might also want to take those pictures with you when you go to the SC next time to show them how bad it is. Might help in convincing them to fix it free of charge.
Hope it goes well for you. Drive safe.

I actually already posted pictures in this thread back in 2016 and linked to them again in a post on this page. I'm on my phone now, but take a look at post #127 in this thread to see how it looks. And look at #983 to see where I already linked back to these photos.