TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by rmiggins, Jan 19, 2016.

1. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Here is the invoice for my replaced windshield if it helps your case.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

I think that you may be forgetting that Tesla doesn't having any outgoing phone lines. :(

• Funny x 1
  3. Keith

Keith Member

My 2016 X is in the shop, and they told me they have a "test" to see if the windshield was "in spec"... Came back as "in spec" and they won't do a replacement.

This is my post (#127) from 2016 about the issue when I first brought it to Tesla's attention: Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

I'm very disappointed and not sure where to go from here...

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Mine was "in spec" and I kept pursuing the issue and I mentioned how other owners were getting their windshields replaced and they finally replaced it. Got tired of me calling them, I think. My service manager was quite frustrated with Tesla engineering. He took my car home for the evening to see if he could see the ghosting and agreed that it was unacceptable even though the test said it was fine. In the end, they did the right thing.

• Like x 2
  5. rgadue

rgadue Member

Been awhile since I posted on here and surprised folks are still seeing issues. Tesla changed manufacturers back in July last year. I got my new windshield early Aug 2017. Mine was within spec but ghosting was seen. Service was able to send me photos of the refract test they do. The laser was within a green box but not dead center which measures the so called ghosting. They tested three new windshields and all showed the laser dead center. After my windshield was changed zero ghosting.
    Here's item from my invoice...

Verified "ghosting" on current windshield. Replaced windshield with new assembly and verified "ghosting" no longer present.
    PartQuantityMX WSHLD ASSEMBLY HW2.0 LHD HWA K4D-3 WEDGE (1105964-00-B)

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Would you mind posting those pictures?

• Like x 1
  7. Paul8810

Paul8810 Member

#987 Paul8810, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    I’ve been watching this thread with interest ever since I got my X (early build signature), but didn’t raise the concern with service since I thought I could live with it. After all, in the daytime it’s not an issue and the thought of replacing the windshield seems like waste. But it finally got the best of me after a road trip at night. Eight hours straight hours of looking at taillights doubled on on top of the other.

The service center I dealt with is awesome, but the advisor apologized and said that it was in spec. Thing is the new model X loaner I had didn’t have this issue, so clearly they’ve resolved the issue with new new builds.

If anyone wants to call them and advocate on my behalf please feel free!

02BD5D7F-0896-4AF7-86A1-78A7F16D7A8A.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  8. ModlS3XY

ModlS3XY Member

I would consider this a safety issue. Can’t believe they’re calling something like this as “in spec”.
    I think you should call Tesla Customer service and complain.

• Like x 1
  9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Same here, early build, terrible ghosting, but “in spec”. Had them check it when the testing first started and again just a week ago at the 50k mi service in case they had adjusted the tolerance, but no.

• Informative x 1
  10. MasterT

MasterT Member

I would suggest taking it to a different service center or talking to another service adviser

• Like x 1
  11. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

It’s likely in spec of whatever tolerances ( leeway ) Tesla gave to their supplier. Can’t change that on already produced screens, that would be expensive

12. ModlS3XY

ModlS3XY Member

I would say vision clarity expected out of glass, that too the one on the windshield should be 99.99%.
    Since people who have this issue are seeing double tail lights, I don’t think Tesla should take this lightly and just say, “it is within spec”.

• Like x 2
  13. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

It's not relevant to the customer though. And a premium manufacturer should always have customer satisfaction in mind.

14. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Not really an option when the nearest center is 4.5 hours away and the next one farther than that again.

15. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

This is absolutely right

16. ModlS3XY

ModlS3XY Member

Yep. Ideally, this should be a safety recall and they should be replacing the windshield if that's the only fix.

• Like x 1
  17. Keith

Keith Member

I spoke with my service center about it again yesterday after I told them I didn't accept what they said about it being "in spec" and no one had gotten back to me about it previously. They called me back and left a message saying that they could "meet me half way" on the issue. I'm planning on calling them back today to find out what that means, but I'm not willing to pay anything for this, I see 3! images of stop lights, tail lights, head lights, and 2 images of stop signs and speed signs in my windshield.

• Like x 1
  18. ModlS3XY

ModlS3XY Member

Can you take pictures of these double visions and post them here just for others’ reference? You might also want to take those pictures with you when you go to the SC next time to show them how bad it is. Might help in convincing them to fix it free of charge.
    Hope it goes well for you. Drive safe.

19. Keith

Keith Member

I actually already posted pictures in this thread back in 2016 and linked to them again in a post on this page. I'm on my phone now, but take a look at post #127 in this thread to see how it looks. And look at #983 to see where I already linked back to these photos.

• Like x 1
  20. MasterT

MasterT Member

Or post #19 of this thread