Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps 1/4 and year. 4th quarter of 2015 would be "....15", second quarter of 2016 would be ".. 16"

Good code breaking! I think we are getting somewhere, now if we could get some more MX owners to post their windshield numbers, we may be able to narrow down the production batch. When you post your windshield number, please indicate whether you have double imaging or not.

I was contacted by my DS today to find out how I like my MX (I love it!) I mentioned the double vision issue and he said it was the first he had heard of it... sigh..:confused: I sent him 5 articles about it and a link to this thread. I pasted his reply below. He mentions contacting the Rocklin SC, which I already have done and they also said they know nothing about it. Sometimes I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing in the Tesla chain of communication.

Thank you for enlightening me on this issue. I’ve already begun forwarding these links to people in the company. I also contacted the service department who told me that the problem is almost certainly in the design of the windshield itself and we are currently looking at getting replacements from our supplier. I would still reach out to Rocklin service but I wanted to give you what information I can find.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Sierra

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Gwgan
I was contacted by my DS today to find out how I like my MX (I love it!) I mentioned the double vision issue and he said it was the first he had heard of it... sigh..:confused: I sent him 5 articles about it and a link to this thread. I pasted his reply below. He mentions contacting the Rocklin SC, which I already have done and they also said they know nothing about it. Sometimes I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing in the Tesla chain of communication.

Thank you for enlightening me on this issue. I’ve already begun forwarding these links to people in the company. I also contacted the service department who told me that the problem is almost certainly in the design of the windshield itself and we are currently looking at getting replacements from our supplier. I would still reach out to Rocklin service but I wanted to give you what information I can find.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Sierra

You got a good DS

Sometimes I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing in the Tesla chain of communication.
The thing that drives me nuts is that this seems so easily solved with software. Here's the status, here's what we now know. Push changes to all customer-facing personnel. When they show up at work, they update themselves on what's new since yesterday. Am I oversimplifying?

The thing that drives me nuts is that this seems so easily solved with software. Here's the status, here's what we now know. Push changes to all customer-facing personnel. When they show up at work, they update themselves on what's new since yesterday. Am I oversimplifying?
They don't even need to write new software. Just set www.teslamotorsclub.com as their homepage, and they'll be pretty much up to date.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 107
I have ghosting . Birthdate 1/7/16

Ok, here is the tally so far: (first number is the number of dots, second number the 2-digit number after dots).

Ghosting: 3/15, 4/15, 2/16
No ghosting: 5/15, 4/16

I'm not sure what members are referring to when they mention A-batch and B-batch?

I just noticed that the letters after TESLA also vary, Chloedog has A-K, Gwgan has A-J and mine is A only.

Interesting, you have the similar numbers as someone else who reported no ghosting. When you look at the string of letters (a b c d etc.) to the right of the Tesla "T" which letter is the last letter in the string?

It appears to be the letter J...So I have 5 dots(.....), the number 15 and the last letter is J. All the ones I have seen thus far has ended in the letter J though.

Tesla replaced my windshield as a goodwill gesture 10 days ago. The double /triple vision and ghosting effects did not vanish, what was noticeable was the fact that I didn't experience distraction/ headaches/ daytime glare and night time magnified scattering of the light that I had to deal with while driving the car. Also the break lights of other cars at night are not as disturbing as it used to be. Other than my personal experience, I couldn't find any tangable characteristic difference between the two windshields until an accidental discovery recently. With the original windshield the effect was at all angles and distances from the dashboard. One could put one's head on the dash and the problem persisted. With the new windshield, it stops at a foot or so above the dashboard (tint level). No ghosting of any kind occurs at that level. The new windshield is a HUGE improvement compared to the original one, it just takes a bit of getting used. I drove it last night on a two lane windy road with no problem at all. I now understand why some owners won't notice it. Again, the 'ghosting" effect is not gone, but there is very little distraction. I get why it is what others call the new "normal" and I am Ok with it.
OK, so we now know there are "bad" windshields with some sort of manufacturing defect. If there's some imprecision in the lamination process, it would be very easy to get much worse ghosting than expected. We wouldn't expect this to be consistent from one windshield to the next off the line, since it's actually a manufacturing issue. Perhaps a random X% are sufficiently out-of-spec to cause the problem. Obviously Tesla needs to get its supplier to improve QC on their production line. :-(

So I just got my car back from the SC today and was able to look at the ghost image issue some more.

This problem is definitely observer height related.

While I had the car parked at the SC, I looked out at a glaring specular reflection on a car maybe 50-75' away where I could see additional bright images above the primary image.

I lowered my seat as low as I could and the images began to draw together. I lowered my head some more (like an old lady hunched over the steering wheel) and the images completely merged. Then I started moving my head up and down and found that there is a "sour spot" where the images are maximally spread, close to where my eyes are when I have the seat at a higher setting. Lower or higher than that and the images are closer together. Only at the very low height do they completely merge. Higher and you are also starting to get into the tinting gradient which isn't a great place to be.

Try it for yourself in a parked situation and tell me what you see.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
All, so I'll admit to not having read the entire thread -- will do that next. But I did read the first few pages some weeks ago. I have a Model S, not X, picked up in April. It has the windshield ghosting issue. After taking care of many others, having an "engineering ticket" open, the service center replaced the windshield. The new one is worse than the first (slightly), or maybe just as bad. When I called to report that, my service advisor and the service manager essentially said there is no resolution for this issue, all the new windshields are like that, and there is nothing further he can do. I told him I consider this a serious issue, and I could just sense him shrug on the other end of the phone.

How can this be? Have anyone here actually had this issue corrected for the Model X?