Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
My MX is at the SC for several issues, mostly minor but I did notice report a ghosting problem with my windshield. Attached is a photo from my invoice and their solution (or lack thereof), but they claim that they're working on it.

It's funny but when I watch the video I did see ghosts. I rubbed my eyes and they went away.:)

The problem with the video is that it is two wide of an angle to really tell. The headlamps are just too small even at full zoom on my display.
I think you have to watch that video at least 5-6 times before you see the ghosts...
Captain Sunshade, you're welcome. We should share any YouTube revenue you get for that video. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Roentgen and ohmman
I think you have to watch that video at least 5-6 times before you see the ghosts...
Captain Sunshade, you're welcome. We should share any YouTube revenue you get for that video. ;-)

I didn't monetize the videos so no $$$ for me, as it ask for my SSN to sign up and I am to paranoid to submit it online after I had to deal with an identify theft situation. But if I happen to get a referral and win a MX, I will send you a sunshade

And folks in this forum are vouching for HUD in the M3? You've got to be kidding.
HUD wouldn't be affected by this specific issue, because it's not coming through the glass. That's not to say there couldn't be another windshield-related HUD issue, but the Model X glass issue is about refraction of light coming through the particular slope, curve, and/or sandwiched material in the glass.

View attachment 191317 My MX is at the SC for several issues, mostly minor but I did notice report a ghosting problem with my windshield. Attached is a photo from my invoice and their solution (or lack thereof), but they claim that they're working on it.

This is literally the same text I received, so they have enough people reporting to have a boilerplate response.

Dang. Was hoping a real fix was happening.
I'd say having a canned response is a good sign that headquarters knows about it. Now, if they are actually trying to fix, or just brush customers off, is anyone's guess. Honestly I feel like the tone of the canned response -- a small number of customers, and you're one of those weirdos... implies the latter. As a software engineer that's pretty much exactly how I would talk about a bug that only a few customers see, and only happens in weird circumstances, but I'm either unable to reproduce or is difficult to fix. But I would never communicate like that directly to customers. Downplaying a customer pain point to them is a sure way to piss them off.

Explaining this issue to my Service Center today was like talking to a cricket. They seemed unaware of any the specifics of the issue, which I have a hard time digesting. I mean, it's one of the busier Service Centers in the country.

Just catching up on the forums. I tried explaining this to a tech at the same service center two days later (on the 24th), and they acted like they had never heard of the issue! I also experience the problem on overcast mornings when the overall light level is low. Here in the bay area those mornings are common, so even though the SC is not open late at night, they should still be able to reproduce the problem on an overcast morning. I did say that I didn't want them to replace my windshield until they have a known fix for the issue though, for fear of getting a replacement that's even worse like @EV-lutioin.

I got my HT replacements as the X went into the Service Center (where it still graces the parking lot, unmoving). Once I get it back, I'll definitely try.

BTW, another Maui Jim repair score. $10 resulted in a replacement pair of shades.

Well your X can say hi to my X. :p It's been sleeping there for the last week. Glad to hear Maui Jim has such great customer service, since I have a pair I still need to send in. Let us know what you find once you get a chance to test them!

@Pandamoanium, Curious to hear your elaboration..

Well your X can say hi to my X. :p It's been sleeping there for the last week. Glad to hear Maui Jim has such great customer service, since I have a pair I still need to send in. Let us know what you find once you get a chance to test them!

@Pandamoanium, Curious to hear your elaboration..
That's absolutely a shame that your car has been at the service center for over a week.

That's absolutely a shame that your car has been at the service center for over a week.

I don't want to side track the thread too much, but I feel compelled to reply, since your signature doesn't show that you actually own a Tesla yet. Honestly, I don't really mind. Tesla Service has treated us well, far better than any other car manufacture we've ever dealt with. I gave them a pretty long list of items, they had to order some parts, our service advisor was out sick for a few days, and our local service center is one of the busiest in the country. They simply have more cars then techs. They're working on opening more service centers, but these things take time. I'd rather they keep my car long enough to fix the problems the right way, then rush through everything. Plus they gave me a P85D S to drive in the meantime!

Quick question, who here see's ghosting and has astigmatism? Also anyone see it and does not have astigmatism?

Intersting idea, and one that I've considered myself. I do have a slight astigmatism, but I have lenses that correct for it. I have the ghosting with and without the corrective lenses. My husband does not have an astigmatism and he sees the same effect. Plus, neither one of us sees the same effect to such a degree in any non-Tesla car.