Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the latest from Tesla about my ghosting. My windshield was replaced in July and the ghosting was worse with the new windshield. Since then, I have had an ongoing discussion with Tesla about solving this problem. They contacted my in September saying they had a solution and would replace my windshield in late October and then changed the fix date to early December. The text below in reply to my email in late December about the issue. My questions are italicized, Telsa's response is in bold.

I am checking in on the status of my new windshield since it is now late December. Also, I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about the process?

Thank you for being so patient.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything new except that it was releasing this month. I have reached out last week for any update but have not heard back. On the questions you asked, I really wish I knew the answers.

It sounds like Tesla has acknowledged that ghosting is an issue in some Model X windshields, but I am wondering why some MX’s have it and some don’t?

From what I have been told the area is in one location on the glass and it depends on the drivers line of sight. In other words if one person was sits higher or lower that one other they might not see the area affected.

And what specifically is being considered in the manufacturing process to prevent the double/triple images from occurring?

I have not been told what would be different

Is Tesla developing an entirely new windshield or are they just trying to prevent the current design from creating double/triple images?

This again was not communicated to me. They only told us that a new release windshield would coming soon.

As I understand it, Tesla is now producing glass in-house, so maybe that is a factor in the solution?

This has not been communicated to me personally that we make our own glass now.

I really do apologize I do not have anything more, hopefully we will resolve this very soon.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Here is the latest from Tesla about my ghosting. My windshield was replaced in July and the ghosting was worse with the new windshield. Since then, I have had an ongoing discussion with Tesla about solving this problem. They contacted my in September saying they had a solution and would replace my windshield in late October and then changed the fix date to early December. The text below in reply to my email in late December about the issue. My questions are italicized, Telsa's response is in bold.

I am checking in on the status of my new windshield since it is now late December. Also, I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about the process?

Thank you for being so patient.

Unfortunately I have not heard anything new except that it was releasing this month. I have reached out last week for any update but have not heard back. On the questions you asked, I really wish I knew the answers.

It sounds like Tesla has acknowledged that ghosting is an issue in some Model X windshields, but I am wondering why some MX’s have it and some don’t?

From what I have been told the area is in one location on the glass and it depends on the drivers line of sight. In other words if one person was sits higher or lower that one other they might not see the area affected.

And what specifically is being considered in the manufacturing process to prevent the double/triple images from occurring?

I have not been told what would be different

Is Tesla developing an entirely new windshield or are they just trying to prevent the current design from creating double/triple images?

This again was not communicated to me. They only told us that a new release windshield would coming soon.

As I understand it, Tesla is now producing glass in-house, so maybe that is a factor in the solution?

This has not been communicated to me personally that we make our own glass now.

I really do apologize I do not have anything more, hopefully we will resolve this very soon.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Thanks for the update @EV-lutioin. Wish it was more helpful though. :/

Hey all, for what it's worth, I picked my X up yesterday, and I did indeed notice the ghosting- but not too severe in my opinion. My wife hardly notices it.

I suppose I'll complain if it really bothers me with extended night driving.

I took delivery on 12/31 - have had my Model X for 3 weeks. At first I thought this was fatigue or age (43) or bad vision, but it's not.

At night, when looking through the front windshield straight ahead, I see two sets of brakelights on cars in front of me - one set low and the other set slightly higher. In other words, this is a high/low effect not left/right, where the lower lights are brighter and the higher lights are dimmer - but still visible. Same is true of headlights if a car is driving towards me.

This has something to do with the windshield slope, glass type or tinting. I am 6'5" so I am probably looking forward towards the top of the windshield. I don't wear glasses or contacts and have great vision.

I have found that if I crouch down about 3 inches and look forward it goes away. This is not only super annoying but a serious safety issue.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Can it be explained and fixed?

I looked about 50% of the way through this forum but couldn't see this topic posted.

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: ccutrer
I took delivery on 12/31 - have had my Model X for 3 weeks. At first I thought this was fatigue or age (43) or bad vision, but it's not.

At night, when looking through the front windshield straight ahead, I see two sets of brakelights on cars in front of me - one set low and the other set slightly higher. In other words, this is a high/low effect not left/right, where the lower lights are brighter and the higher lights are dimmer - but still visible. Same is true of headlights if a car is driving towards me.

This has something to do with the windshield slope, glass type or tinting. I am 6'5" so I am probably looking forward towards the top of the windshield. I don't wear glasses or contacts and have great vision.

I have found that if I crouch down about 3 inches and look forward it goes away. This is not only super annoying but a serious safety issue.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Can it be explained and fixed?

I looked about 50% of the way through this forum but couldn't see this topic posted.

Thanks

I am noticing the exact same problem. Very frustrating. Double vision through the windshield with brake lights and oncoming lights but not through the side windows. Definitely a problem with the windshield. Very disappointed.

Thanks for posting. I am 5'10" and have had my Model X for four months (took delivery on 8/26/2016) and have had double vision since taking delivery.

Unfortunately after a lot of research on this issue, I cannot seem to find a remedy. Not only will tinting not work, there are no local after market shops in the Bay Area that have the equipment to install a tint that doesn't have lines given the size of the windshield. At night polarized sunglasses do the trick...though who wants to wear sunglasses at night? Additionally, there are no known optical remedies for daytime lens with polarization that do not have some sort of tint to it.

I have my seat set at the lowest position and reclined to the point where I feel safe driving and my line of sight is six inches from the top of the steering wheel. Double vision persists.

The service center I am visiting with quite a bit of regularity is aware of the issues. I am on my third windshield (original windshield + two replacements), and according to the SC manager Tesla is awaiting a production refresh on the windshields that will "hopefully fix the issue" (SC Manager quote). Best recommendation I have is to continue to bring this issue up to your SC Manager so that it's properly logged.
I'm in the bay too. What shop having you've been going too? I just received my X and it still has the ghosting.
We received our X on 20-Dec. It has no ghosting, VIN 31085.

However, now that you mention the waves, I do notice it at the extreme left side of the windshield if inspecting it from all angles. But this does not affect driving at all.

Hopefully Tesla is starting to reduce the occurrence of the problems and start to fix/replace those that currently exist
Curious, do you wear prescription glasses?

I have easily visible triple images from bright sources at night and it is driving me nuts. My prescription sunglasses seem to solve the issue but my clear prescription glasses do not. Definitely going to complain at my service center.

My wife sees no ghosting with anti-reflective coated glasses. I wear polarized sunglasses in the day time, so no ghosting then. But I see some ghosting at night. Thinking that while Tesla sorts this out I will get a pair of clear non-reflective glasses to try at night.

I took delivery of my MX 75D VIN 277XX on 12/5/16 at the Factory. I noticed this "ghosting" issue right away. I have always had this issue. It never bothered me till the MX. It is extremely worse than any other car. I will make a complaint tomorrow when I take it in for some other issues.

Just received this from a Tesla Service Center manager:

"I have heard back [from Tesla] and I have to do tests to your Model X windshield.
...these at [sic] tests per engineering. We will need to inspect the windshield with a light ray gage [sic] tool. Then they will review the results and make the best decision per the results."

In doing some research on this issue, I found an interesting article about ghosting from a 1973 report by the Air Force on F-111 aircraft. http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/767203.pdf
Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 10.31.31 AM.png

Just received this from a Tesla Service Center manager:

"I have heard back [from Tesla] and I have to do tests to your Model X windshield.
...these at [sic] tests per engineering. We will need to inspect the windshield with a light ray gage [sic] tool. Then they will review the results and make the best decision per the results."

In doing some research on this issue, I found an interesting article about ghosting from a 1973 report by the Air Force on F-111 aircraft. http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/767203.pdfView attachment 208459

Interesting. It also mentions that a metallic coating intensifies the images.

Model S has a metallic coating on the front windshield to aid in heat rejection. I presume Model X does as well?