Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. 2016 AP1 early build with ghosting, brought it in two years ago they it was within spec. Yesterday, I had the windshield replaced by a third party Tesla certified shop due to a rock, they replaced with Tesla part 1066747-01-C. So far, it appears ghosting is gone.

EDIT: Actually I HAVE come across this part number = that's my windshield, has full on ghosting. When they replace mine I was going to insist on a different part number.

Tesla showed me the test results - light shining on a circle printed on a card. If light falls within circle = "within regulatory tolerance". For my windshield, light is on the edge of the circle. Asked to redo the test - they insisted no because it is not physically possible to get a different result (really? - I'm an engineer). Asked to show documentation regarding the regulatory stuff they hide behind - crickets. Their patronizing is very frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and mikevbf
It’s about $1100 (parts and labor) to replace the windshield. If yours fails the “laser” test for warranty replacement, it’s EASILY worth $1000 to be able to drive at night and not see double tail lights, stop lights, street lights, etc. The new windshields do not have the issue.

Reactions: Cowby
So....Haven't been on here for a long time. I have a 2016 AP1 that had a badly ghosting windshield. Finally had it replaced under warranty in Feb 2018 after much persistence on my part.

Fast forward to last month...dang rock chip to the bottom right corner of my windshield now warrants replacement of my non-ghosting windshield...cue the scary, foreboding music. Will I get a non-ghosting replacement part?! I let them know my concerns and specifically asked for the SAME part number...but lo and behold I get this text from the SC "Had some issues with the windshields that were in stock. One was cracked so we had to find a new one." Despite being told that they had the correct part on order. Ughhh.

The new part is 1106012-00-B which is one revision newer than the "A" production line. The tech believes they will have identical characteristics. I've quickly perused this thread and saw that at least one owner had this same part number installed with no ghosting issues so my fingers remained crossed...and teeth clenched much to my dentist's dismay. I'll let you know how things go.

On another note, I need to get back on this forum to check for suspension issues as I am now being told I need work done that's not covered by the extended warranty plan I purchased. Great. Merry Xmas to me.

Reactions: derkan
Why would an extended warranty plan not cover an item that was originally covered by the initial warranty? except perhaps batteries?

The tech said it was "normal wear and tear" after I complained about a clunking noise when turning the wheel. I actually never noticed it until a friend riding in the passenger seat mentioned it. I could have had that noise from delivery day. I need to look for the proper thread to discuss the issue--front control arms and bushings. Wattzen has 66k miles. Wompy wheels?

The new part is 1106012-00-B which is one revision newer than the "A" production line. The tech believes they will have identical characteristics. I've quickly perused this thread and saw that at least one owner had this same part number installed with no ghosting issues so my fingers remained crossed...and teeth clenched much to my dentist's dismay. I'll let you know how things go.
So what happened?
When my ghosting windshield finally got a rock chip, I had it replaced with 1106012-00-B. Except, they installed 1106012-00-A. So I took it back and they replaced it with 1106012-00-B today. I think have no ghosting now. They did, however mess up 3 other things, check for these:
- windshield wipers overshoot the windshield
- cruise control would not engage. Perhaps the camera wasn't calibrated or recognized
- inside trim around the windshield was not properly clicked in (clips loose)
- they damaged the lower B pillar trim

So what happened?
When my ghosting windshield finally got a rock chip, I had it replaced with 1106012-00-B. Except, they installed 1106012-00-A. So I took it back and they replaced it with 1106012-00-B today. I think have no ghosting now. They did, however mess up 3 other things, check for these:
- windshield wipers overshoot the windshield
- cruise control would not engage. Perhaps the camera wasn't calibrated or recognized
- inside trim around the windshield was not properly clicked in (clips loose)
- they damaged the lower B pillar trim

Ghosts be gone! Now I'm just waiting for my reimbursement check from Allstate... minus my $50 deductible.

New builds are fine as far as I know.
Our 2021 Model 3 ghosts pretty bad. We took deliver of our Model 3, 2021-2Q and we drove it at night for the first time last night and noticed it immediately. I thought it was a tint issue but I guess not. What's the process of getting this fixed like? I was told that we had to notify Tesla of any issues within the first 100 miles of ownership and we're at 600 miles now. This, on top of the ridiculous panel gap issues that are "within spec" is pretty ridiculous for a car that's been in production since 2016-2017.

Our 2021 Model 3 ghosts pretty bad. We took deliver of our Model 3, 2021-2Q and we drove it at night for the first time last night and noticed it immediately. I thought it was a tint issue but I guess not. What's the process of getting this fixed like? I was told that we had to notify Tesla of any issues within the first 100 miles of ownership and we're at 600 miles now. This, on top of the ridiculous panel gap issues that are "within spec" is pretty ridiculous for a car that's been in production since 2016-2017.
That's odd. Ghosting was seen on early MX's potentially attributable to early manufacture of its 5 1/2 foot wind shield. Thus the thread was "dead" for nearly five years. May I suggest cleaning your windshield (outside) with rubbing alcohol and using a single edge razor blade (sliding as if shaving, not scraping) to remove the film and residue left over from the plastic protection film. I had to do this on my 2019 X, and was astonished at the amount of residue that was removed.

Reactions: 9uns and croman