Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys, after reading this thread my right FWD started snapping intermittently on open. You jinxed me.
;-)

Just a note actually to say thanks for the posts on this issue, anytime I have an issue with the X I know I can typically find someone who has experienced it also and maybe has a fix, or at least knowledge about a SC fix. Great community!

I had a ranger out who took off the moulding. Its the pinch guard sliding and looks like it can be fixed with a slight tweak of the plastic. Not a huge issue. It occurs on only one of my doors, not the other.

How easy is it to remove the moulding? SC is far away and I might just attempt to fix it myself.

Is it the bottom or top arrow illustrated in this picture?
hinge.JPG

Mine is actually the slider inside of the door. It's the hard plastic piece between the two arrows in your photo. Did you watch my slow-motion video? It shows that slider catching and popping.

My Service Center tech told me they'll put friction tape on it. He said lube also works but you want to be careful to use lube that won't harm the plastic. He suggested furniture polish, oddly. But I think friction tape would be a good start for you, and I don't think you need to remove any moulding to get to it.

How easy is it to remove the moulding? SC is far away and I might just attempt to fix it myself.

Neither. It's the rubber strip that is shown with yellow arrows below. The area that completely tore off (due to friction) is the yellow circle.
I think there are 2 separate FWD "snapping" problems. Mine involves the pinch sensor, and @oohman is describing the area between the red arrows that snaps when the door opens/closes.

Thanks for your replies.

Plasmo: just checked my door again and no issues with the rubber strip. I think it's the same issue as ohmman.

Ohmman: Apologies. I've watched your slo-mo video many times and the sound is exactly the same but I cannot seem to see where slider is catching and making the noise.
This is a snapshot of your video. Can you point me where to look precisely?
IMG_0381.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

Plasmo: just checked my door again and no issues with the rubber strip. I think it's the same issue as ohmman.

Ohmman: Apologies. I've watched your slo-mo video many times and the sound is exactly the same but I cannot seem to see where slider is catching and making the noise.
This is a snapshot of your video. Can you point me where to look precisely?
View attachment 202456
Sorry for the delay in response. I somehow missed this. Check out the attached edit of your screenshot, and let me know if you have questions.

IMG_0381.jpg

Yesterday the guys at Tesla fixed our door while also putting on winter tires and fixing the wind noise. We got a Model S 85D loaner and after two hours we got the car back. Wind noise has improved by a lot.
I also noticed that Model S next gen seats are terrible to say the least.

Forget about snapping/cracking sound of FWD. Check out the attached pictures of the totally wild incident re my FWD. When 2nd row passenger opened the FWD by pressing the button manually, it extended more than its usual 90 degree and hit the garage door above. I have about 12” clearance from the garage door to the fully extended FWD. Since 3-month ownership of MX, FWD is a super-big pain. It usually never extends all the way, but now extending more than its normal range is unfathomable. Has anyone experienced this type of a malfunctioning FWD? View attachment 201747 View attachment 201748 View attachment 201749

This Model X Christmas video shows falcon wings going past 90 degrees.

I'm having the same exact issue. There's a snapping noise when opening driver FWD. I didn't worry too much since it opens fully and latches BUT now, it only opens 1/3 the way and still making the snapping noise. It looks like there's something wrong with the slider where the joints are located. Calling SC tomorrow to fix that and the driver side door thinks something is close so it doesn't open all the way. Geez, smh

That same little spring loaded piece was hanging on my passenger side door then snapping, making a loud pop noise also. Did it a few times for a while. I manually moved it back and forth a few times and it hasn't done it since. It's going to be different for everyone but perhaps either a hard move of it, or even some lubricant (spit of WD40?) could help behind it on tracks?

I was just happy to know its a little plastic cover piece popping and not any actual important door hinges/parts. ;-)

I had a rush visit to the SC last week for a flat tire, so I had them look at the things that have been cropping up. This is what the invoice said about the FWD snapping:

Concern: Customer states: Driver's falcon door makes a snapping noise when opening.

Corrections: Closure Assist Mechanisms and Hinges General Diagnosis Confirmed customer's concern. Insulating and lubricated hinge hiders.

This was a warranty issue, so no cost.