Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving style...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, range is significantly impacted in cold conditions even if you do not use the heater. When you first power up a cold-soaked car, it will consume 6 kW for the pack heater alone. Once the pack is warmed up, though, there is still significant impact.

Yea thats what I've found as well. In these cold temps, not only do I "prewarm" the car by turning the heater on, but I also flip it to "range charge" mode so that I can start up the charging to pre-warm the battery pack up. Using the cabin-heater doesnt warm up the battery or anything. Only "charging" the car will warm up the battery pack as well as make sure I have full regen ready. If you can time your charges to complete every morning at the time you leave for work that would work too, but it varies too much for me. When I wake up, I turn on the heat and switch to range charge mode (note: I don't actually range charge the car, I only charge to 80% daily and having 40 amps for 30 minutes is only going to get me a 1-2% up to 82%, but its way more than enough to warm up the battery pack and not have limited regen either.) So the other result is obviously I don't consume that 6kW of energy either as soon as I leave the house. That was always a killer that annoyed me until I found that if I started charging first for 30 minutes that went away.

I didn't buy a P85 to go 60mph in the slow lane.

I did.

Just another data point. If anything, every once in a while and mostly to extricate myself from a dangerous situation caused by crazy drivers; I'll use the power of the P85. I've only been over 100mph once (very briefly) in 7000 miles. That was to prove to my wife (who drives it more like yobigd) that it could go that fast. :smile:

I did.

Just another data point. If anything, every once in a while and mostly to extricate myself from a dangerous situation caused by crazy drivers; I'll use the power of the P85. I've only been over 100mph once (very briefly) in 7000 miles. That was to prove to my wife (who drives it more like yobigd) that it could go that fast. :smile:

Drove 80mph back from Hartford airport last night with a brief jaunt to 97 for just the reason noted above. Two cars were actively blocking the highway. I passed in the truck lane on an uphill and had to compete with one who tried to out accelerate me. That was definitely fun.

I live 30ml outside Munich/Germany at an Autobahn (no speed limit :love:). I am selfemployed so that I do not have to drive during rush hours. If I am heading for Munich I stay at 110-115mph. Max. speed of my nonperformance Model S is 127mph. Elon said at a talk in Munich, that there will be a speed package for Germany. I do not think, that I will need it. Up to 115, the car feels quite comfortable and stable. Above this speed, energy consumption is awfully high (power of 3). My Mercedes CLS drives much more stable up to 160mph (totally legal) but has more energy on board.

If I go on longer trips, I reduce my speed to 85-90. The next Superchargers are in distances of 75ml. In Nov. I was one of the very first who used a new SC between Munich and Stuttgart. Driving home with 110mph I imagined, that Elon was sitting at his desk and looked at the data coming out of my car (grin...).

Despite having the faster and sportier CLS I prefer to use the Tesla for all the trips. Even if that means, that I have to pause for half an hour at a SC.