Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No facts to support this
[instability of console].

True, yet it makes engineering and financial sense to use the existing support structure in the vehicle to reduce material requirements, manufacturing complexity and cost at the expense of utility and installation requirements.

So, it's not designed to screw in because it's unstable but it's unstable on its own because it's designed to screw in.

I think as others have said, that it would come down to a safety issue. Which is why they have to bolt it down. If you want remove-ability then I would strongly suggest you consider the CCI. From what I hear, it is a really solid product, and can be removed and/or inserted in 5 minutes.

I already have a Custom CCI in Tan/Obeche, and I love it. But I would like to explore and compare the Tesla offering, in case I like it even better, in terms of form and function. Ease of removeability is a key factor in that comparison.

My wife wants a place to put her purse and that's what she loved about the center console spot. She doesn't like putting her purse on the passenger seat. I like a place to put my phone and stuff to charge. I'll be the primary user but yes having the ability to remove the console is useful for me in my mind currently.

4SUPER9 said:
Another explanation is that the design of their center console turned out to be inherently unstable.
No facts to support this.

Correct. My statement is an hypothesis only. There are pretty much no facts to support either stability or instability. I am offering just one theory as to why a drop-in console would have to be permanently mounted. There are also no facts to support that it is mounted in order to prevent it flying around in an accident, though that also makes good sense.

Given the nature of our ability to accelerate so intensely, would it be possible that if one was to hit the pedal, that the whole console could lift up? A couple of simple screws would solve that, and they would not want the consumer to do that themselves. Does anyone know how the console is secured?

I had mine installed at the Raleigh Service center last week. So far I definitely like it, especially the iPhone Dock.

@Cadester, how do you like yours? Also, I heard that the 8-pin iphone male is too short for iphone5 with a case (that's what I have) and someone said he ordered the micro usb instead so he can use the micro usb to 8-pin adapter. What is your experience on this?

Given the nature of our ability to accelerate so intensely, would it be possible that if one was to hit the pedal, that the whole console could lift up?

I have a bit of difficulty imagining that. There's tons of loose stuff in the empty area and none of that moves much when I floor it. I'm more inclined to think its about rollover protection.

@Cadester, how do you like yours? Also, I heard that the 8-pin iphone male is too short for iphone5 with a case (that's what I have) and someone said he ordered the micro usb instead so he can use the micro usb to 8-pin adapter. What is your experience on this?

Would love to know the answer to this.

I have a case on my 5S and find it annoying that all the Lightning docks don't work with the case on. We had a micro USB plug laying around, so picked up a micro USB to Lightning adapter and that works great at home. Would be good to know how that works with the Tesla console... Might be a good workaround...

It does look like a nice clean design. I'm going to get one.

- - - Updated - - -

@4SUPER9 I noticed you got the extended napa leather option. I could not find even one car that has that option in my last three trips to the Santana Row store. It must not be a very popular option. Could you describe it a little and tell us what you think about it? It will be a great help for me since I'm going to place my order of MS in the next day or two.

When we first got our Tesla a year ago, my wife and I liked the idea of the open space for the purse. Over that time, lots of little items have made a home in our center and now it looks a bit chaotic - and the purse almost always ends up in the passenger floorboard. So I'm thinking the organization and extra cup holders would be nice.

Quick question for anyone who has it installed:

Can two phones be charged at once? I think there can only be one "dock" but could a second phone hang out in that area and be plugged into the USB? We have an iPhone 5 and samsung S4 and use the two USB ports to provide a lightning and micro USB charger for them.

I would also appreciate any close up photos of the phone dock area.

Thanks!!

When we first got our Tesla a year ago, my wife and I liked the idea of the open space for the purse. Over that time, lots of little items have made a home in our center and now it looks a bit chaotic - and the purse almost always ends up in the passenger floorboard. So I'm thinking the organization and extra cup holders would be nice.

Quick question for anyone who has it installed:

Can two phones be charged at once? I think there can only be one "dock" but could a second phone hang out in that area and be plugged into the USB? We have an iPhone 5 and samsung S4 and use the two USB ports to provide a lightning and micro USB charger for them.

I would also appreciate any close up photos of the phone dock area.

Thanks!!
I will try to take photos tomorrow. I had my console installed today. It is fantastic.I have the micro usb jack with the console, and it won't work with my Nokia 920 with a case on it. I will try it with the case off. I had been using a cable to charge it, and may still need to do the same. 2 phones will fit in the space. If the phone was docked you could not close the cover.

I had no real issues of using the open space prior to the console, but the space looked cluttered. Now the space looks complete.