Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been over a year now since this thread started. I just checked the accessories store online and the Premium Center Console is listed as "coming soon". It's kind of a joke now, yes? Tesla built a an entire electric car that is pretty awesome. What the deal with the center console? It's a plastic hole with cup holders.

The first quarter of this year has been painful. Nothing interesting is happening anywhere. CRS-3 isn't launching, there is no Model X updates, very little Supercharger news, can we at least get a center console? lol. Come on! Okay, I did like the underbody shielding addition. That was nice.

Or, give them time, and they will correct the situation and come away with a better solution than was originally presented. Same ole Tesla.

I don't think I'm unreasonable for expecting communication on a product I've been asked to pay for. I was told to pay, asked where to have it shipped to, then left in the dark. It took 2 emails before someone eventually responded.

Very reminiscent of trying to get info while waiting for the car. So, yes, same olé Tesla.

Oh no, I don't think you are unreasonable to point out the fact that they *always* omit the communication part. Which stings especially when you have already paid for the product. I am just saying that it will likely be a better product, and hence worth the wait...like the Titanium Deflector shield and restored air suspension height, or like 120kW superchargers, etc.

Reply from Tesla ([email protected]) - The rear console product should be available in the future. However, we do not have any specific information available at this time.

This looks pretty fantastic, and easily removable. I am guessing they are using the little hooks in the seat that are normally for child seats to put it in the car! Seems like a pretty fantastic product idea!

With regards to the Center Console, just got this from Tesla:

Dear Tesla Customer:

Thank you for your patience regarding the Premium Center Console development and availability. As you may be aware, Tesla is committed to achieving the best customer experience with our products as possible. Consistent with that mission, we have added improved parts to the center console. The updated estimate for resuming the shipping of the consoles is currently slated for early June. When that occurs, we hope to provide you with better delivery timing estimates as we work our way down the waitlist. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the delays and we continue to appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,

Shop Tesla Gear Welcome

p 510.249.3718 | e [email protected]

Three weeks ago I was told it would ship again within a couple of weeks. Now we are over two months away from that date promised three weeks ago. Why can't Tesla be realistic with their dates, and why are they having such a difficult time procuring reliable suppliers?

Emailed OnlineOrders@ last night; received this today:

Thank you for your interest in the Tesla Model S Premium Center Console. We have added you to the waitlist for a console with the Obeche Wood Matte décor to match your interior. We estimate that the console will become available to those recently added to the list in December.

Depending on décor choice, the Premium Center Console ranges from $600-$800 as an option with new vehicle orders, and from $800-$1000 as a service installed aftermarket accessory. The difference in price is due to increased expense related to shipping and installation time at the local Tesla service center.
We recognize that the Premium Center Console option was not available at the time you ordered, therefore we are offering you the Premium Center Console at the new vehicle order price. Shipping and service installation are complimentary.

Detailed North America pricing for each décor style:

An iPhone 5/s Lightning Cable Dock Kit or a micro-USB phone dock kit is also available at no additional charge.

While we are experiencing a hold on shipping and installing the consoles at this time, we expect to resume in early June and stay on track with your current estimated delivery time. You will be contacted once we reach your position on the waitlist and a console is ready to ship to your local service center.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Three weeks ago I was told it would ship again within a couple of weeks. Now we are over two months away from that date promised three weeks ago. Why can't Tesla be realistic with their dates, and why are they having such a difficult time procuring reliable suppliers?

Probably because manufacturing in the US has been decimated by the goldrush to China and good reliable manufacturers are not as common as they once were.

Tesla is a small company. It has a limited number of engineers and limited management attention to projects. They need to concentrate on major projects, projects that ares critical to user satisfaction and safety. They are growing fast which adds to the problem because recruiting top notch employees to do the design and manufacturing isn't easy. This is compounded by Tesla desire to do far more in house manufacturing than is typical for big auto companies. That will allow for quality control as the product is built rather than finding out only after defective items are in service, items built by companies that may only care about profit and are more than willing to cut corners and hope they don't get caught.

Be patient, things like the console will show up eventually, they just aren't high priority. I'm waiting for an extra UMC cable set, also unavailable. The Tesla "soon" is a euphemism.

Tesla is a small company. It has a limited number of engineers and limited management attention to projects. They need to concentrate on major projects, projects that ares critical to user satisfaction and safety. They are growing fast which adds to the problem because recruiting top notch employees to do the design and manufacturing isn't easy. This is compounded by Tesla desire to do far more in house manufacturing than is typical for big auto companies. That will allow for quality control as the product is built rather than finding out only after defective items are in service, items built by companies that may only care about profit and are more than willing to cut corners and hope they don't get caught.

Be patient, things like the console will show up eventually, they just aren't high priority. I'm waiting for an extra UMC cable set, also unavailable. The Tesla "soon" is a euphemism.

Tesla needs to stop setting expectations higher than they can fulfill.

Before I got my car, I was positive that I needed the console. I read online about 3rd party consoles, and other alternatives. One of the things I read about was this little $13 item (including shipping): Amazon.com: McGuire-Nicholas 22565-1 Mighty Bag Compact Tool Storage Tote, 7-Inch, Gray: Home Improvement

By moving less used items to a bag in my trunk, and using this storage container that fits under the dash in the center console area, I have organized all my needs, and have lots of room for bags/passenger purses etc. in the open console area (wasn't that an advantage of the Tesla to begin with? No transmission, therefore no big bulge between driver and passenger.) I have decided I don't need a console and will save some money.

I sent an email to [email protected], since I had received their previous emails stating the same June timeframe for an update:

As June is rapidly approaching an end, I was hoping for an update on where you are at in the progress of fixing your design issues and getting this rolling off the lines again? I am pretty eager to get this as soon as you have it ready and appreciate any update you have on this front. Thank you.

I will let you know if I get any response!