Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
KRB/Dukecat - Wow, that was quick. Would either of you be so kind to share photos of the center console once it is installed please? Thanks in advance! I am hoping the carbon fiber version isn't too far behind.

Well, there are several others who paid some time ago and are still waiting for theirs, so I'd imagine that they'll be ahead in terms of install. Fingers crossed that at least the fact that they're taking orders again means that we'll be seeing some activity soon.

Dear Customer,

One of the most requested accessories for Model S has been a center console to increase storage options in the front of the cabin. Today, we're happy to let you know that we have started shipping these consoles for customers who ordered them in Piano Black. All those orders will be fulfilled in the coming weeks.

Center consoles in other décor finishes will be available in limited quantities starting early 2015. As with all Tesla products, we want to make absolutely sure that customers get the best-possible product we can provide. With that in mind, we have spent more time than anticipated re-engineering the center console so that it meets our exacting standards. Specifically, we have added a sliding cover latch, engineered a new sliding cover handle, and inserted a structural cross brace into the console. These changes have delayed our ability to fulfill deliveries until this point.

If you have ordered a center console in another décor option but would like to take delivery as soon as possible, we encourage you to change your order to Piano Black. To change your order, simply contact [email protected]. We will be able to fulfill such orders by fall.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you for being a Tesla customer.

I asked for a refund. They've already got my X deposit, I'm not giving them more cash to sit on interest free for 6 months.

I'm sorry but Tesla should really be doing better than this! After asking here back in 2012 they spent more than a year developing the insert and now the following series of messages:

Tesla 11/29/2013 said:
When production has ramped up we expect to have consoles available to order for everyone on the wait list by January and February of next year.

Tesla 4/17/2014 said:
Unfortunately, there has been a hold on shipping and installing the consoles for the past several weeks. Tesla has identified additional parts that need to be fitted to the Premium Center Console to further improve the product.

Tesla 5/2/2014 said:
The updated estimate for resuming the shipping of the consoles is currently slated for early June.

Tesla 8/1/2014 said:
Center consoles in other décor finishes will be available in limited quantities starting early 2015.

I love driving electric and I love my cars but the company really makes themselves look incompetent when they can't deliver on something this simple.:rolleyes:

[/rant]

P.S. Offering me Piano Black to clash with my CF interior trim does not feel like a good compromise.

As someone who has the black trim in the car, I will say, I wish I had spent a little money a on a different finish because the black really shows dust and fingerprints super easy and has to be constantly wiped down. Having been in loaner cars with the wood finish and having seen people with the carbon fiber finish, it just looks better overall. So I would not compromise here on the console, you might not like what you get.

I am on the waitlist for piano black but have not submitted an order. I got the same email referenced above; it's not clear to me whether I am supposed to actually order the thing now or what.

Regardless, I don't think I will. I've gotten used to having no console and I kind of like it.

I agree with you completely, Nigel. I'm really disappointed that Tesla could not do better than this. They've designed a wonderful car, but can't seem to deliver a simple accessory like this for over 2 years! 2015??!! :mad: What timetable are we looking at for the rear console? 2016? 2017??

Fortunately, I didn't put down a deposit. I didn't realized they even asked folks for a deposit on something like this. I'm sure it'll be a very nice item when it's done, Tesla's stuff almost always is. As usual, the negatives are on the multiple delays and communication because of those delays.

I've gotten really used to the open space. Stuff my jacket in there or my gym bag. Chinese takeout sits nice in it :). I'm at the point where with the way I use that space, I might feel like I'm losing functionality rather than gaining it. I'm sure, had the console been available initially, I would have gotten it and been very happy, but having gotten used to the space the way it stands I don't see myself feeling much desire to add the console 2.5 years after getting my car.

It's not that they are encouraging you to switch, they were just stating if you wanted the black you would get it soon, the rest... later.

Also, they didn't ask for a deposit, there were people who were given a link to order (back before they stopped delivering them) and then right after they ordered, they pulled the product back to redesign it with the new changes. So there are people who have now paid for a product and not yet gotten it. That is the group that AnOutsider happens to be in.

For the Black orders, you will get an email when you can actually order it. This email was just stating that they are resuming with shipping them out. They will still go down the list in order, so if you are farther down it could still be a couple months before you get told to pay for the product and actually order it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would add, re: "It's not that they are encouraging you to switch"

Even if you DID switch your reservation to a black, you would get dropped to the end of the list... depending on how long that list for black already is, it might actually take until 2015 before you would get to order one... so switching might not actually make you get one sooner... I would just be patient and get it for the trim you actually wanted, and one that matches your car... otherwise it will just look out of place anyway, and really just satisfy your impatience... but then irritate you more that it doesn't match.

If you already paid and never got the product, I understand you wanting to get your money back (especially if you didn't order a black), if you are still just on the waiting list, and you aren't satisfied with waiting until your non-black style becomes available, you can easily just pull your name from the list (or not order one when they call your number).

Other than that, this is all just complaining (and rightfully so, I am not hating on you all for it), and other than voicing your frustrations, I don't know that there is much more that can be done. I do agree, this is pretty bad, even by Tesla standards...