Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tesla web site, though, the other bits around the console are rendered with the same stitching as the console, so everything looks like it matches. The difference in stitching visible on these photos is quite glaring. It jumps out at you.

This is a sad day. I've waited over a year for this product and was ever hopeful. Now, after seeing the screw up on the stitching, there's no way I can put this in my car. WTF Tesla?

Based on all the recent loaners I've had from the Service Center (35000+ VINs) the stitching in new cars is much lighter than the stitching in my car (7000 VIN). So it appears if you have a new Model S, your stitching will match, and if you have an old one, it will be off.

On the Tesla web site, though, the other bits around the console are rendered with the same stitching as the console, so everything looks like it matches. The difference in stitching visible on these photos is quite glaring. It jumps out at you.

This is a sad day. I've waited over a year for this product and was ever hopeful. Now, after seeing the screw up on the stitching, there's no way I can put this in my car. WTF Tesla?

I mentioned above using shoe polish. I was not joking. This actually works. You can even dilute it a bit, wipe in on, then quickly wipe it off before it dries. It will not affect the leather, and should readily be soaked up by the stitching.
IF you really, really want this product, I wouldn't let this bother you too much.

Oh wait. I should not be so emphatic. I do not know what material is used in this stitching. If cotton, this is a no brainer. If vinyl, it may not absorb at all.

It is so. It appears that white stitching was also used in the photos of the console on the Tesla site.
Yep.

center_console_images_closeup_w_iphone_v14.009_1024x1024.jpg

Based on all the recent loaners I've had from the Service Center (35000+ VINs) the stitching in new cars is much lighter than the stitching in my car (7000 VIN). So it appears if you have a new Model S, your stitching will match, and if you have an old one, it will be off.
Yep. Checked it on the way home this afternoon: the stitching on the raised center area in my car is white.

Yep. Checked it on the way home this afternoon: the stitching on the raised center area in my car is white.

Same here. Vin 40xxx

Or actually it is like this.
Black stitching: Seats (cloth seats), dashboard (incl lower parts around screen), armrests (the sliding ones covering the cup holders), door armrests, steering wheel.
White (or light grey, hard to tell): Raised center parts, doors lower stitching (the one at the window controls).

So for me the center console will match just fine but why on earth have they different colors and changed along the way?

Same here. Vin 40xxx

Or actually it is like this.
Black stitching: Seats (cloth seats), dashboard (incl lower parts around screen), armrests (the sliding ones covering the cup holders), door armrests, steering wheel.
White (or light grey, hard to tell): Raised center parts, doors lower stitching (the one at the window controls).

So for me the center console will match just fine but why on earth have they different colors and changed along the way?

Same here, VIN 25XXX.

VIN 43XXX. There's all kinds of stitching colors in my MS (tan leather).

Upper dash: black with black stitching
Lower dash: tan with tan stitching
Seats: tan with tan stitching
Upper door panels: tan with tan stitching
lower door panels: black with white stitching
Center floor: black with white stitching
Steering wheel: black with black stitching

Please send Tesla feedback on stitching

Tesla has already received complaints regarding the stitching color. They are tracking complaints, hopefully with the end result being that additional stitching colors may be provided at some point. Here is the email I received:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. The stitching across the top is lighter and this is something that I have recently heard some complaints about. It is unlikely that there will be a change to a darker stitching, however, I am keeping track of the customers who are expressing this as an issue so I can forward this information on.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Krista

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.896.6417 | e [email protected]

Woah. I wonder if this will happen to my all black interior. I hope not.

VIN 43XXX. There's all kinds of stitching colors in my MS (tan leather).

Upper dash: black with black stitching
Lower dash: tan with tan stitching
Seats: tan with tan stitching
Upper door panels: tan with tan stitching
lower door panels: black with white stitching
Center floor: black with white stitching
Steering wheel: black with black stitching

Can anyone comment whether one can connect a phone (e.g. iphone) with a minimal case or must it be completely case-free? Mine extends about 1-2mm below the phone bottom. (this case, in particular)
Also, what occupies the space under the current "cubby shelf"? Is this space accessible?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just had the new console installed yesterday - and it doesn't work with the case on my Galaxy S5. So, I removed the microUSB connector from the console and replaced it with a blank plate that came with the console.

I probably wouldn't have used the built-in charging anyway, because the cable provided with the console is very short and only reaches one of the car's USB ports - which are limited to 450mA charging. My GS5 can charge much faster using a charger plugged into the DC outlet - so that's what I'll be using - and still use the tray to hold the phone, connected to the charging cable, when I'm in the car.

Though, I might make a pass at trying to get one of my microUSB cables to fit into the console and get it to protrude far enough so it will work with my phone in its protective case.

So the connector +plate assembly is removable? That's good. IS the cable permanently attached to the plate?
-Tom
Just had the new console installed yesterday - and it doesn't work with the case on my Galaxy S5. So, I removed the microUSB connector from the console and replaced it with a blank plate that came with the console.

I probably wouldn't have used the built-in charging anyway, because the cable provided with the console is very short and only reaches one of the car's USB ports - which are limited to 450mA charging. My GS5 can charge much faster using a charger plugged into the DC outlet - so that's what I'll be using - and still use the tray to hold the phone, connected to the charging cable, when I'm in the car.

Though, I might make a pass at trying to get one of my microUSB cables to fit into the console and get it to protrude far enough so it will work with my phone in its protective case.

Last edited: