Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eap 2.5 vs 2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they did state as one of the specs for hw2.1 that radar unit had a lot more definition. this is why i was expecting much better behavior under bridges, around trucks. so if you have some experience, chime in.

i do agree that between 2.0 and 2.1 the differences are minimal but could it be what makes all the difference in the world?! :) probably not. question still stands.

From Elon:

"Once you solve cameras for vision, autonomy is solved; if you don’t solve vision, it’s not solved … You can absolutely be superhuman with just cameras."

That's not really relevant in present day when AP2 is suffering day to day from a lot of false radar-triggered phantom vehicle / overpass braking events. And in the last 4 updates, seeing Tesla play a lot with turning on and off two-vehicle-ahead radar distance control. And the predominant change in AP2.5 was the switch from Bosch to Continental radar which led to deactivation of AEB temporarily.

I find it curious too whether or not the Continental radar behaves any differently from the Bosch units we have. It's curious that they switched suppliers especially considering Bosch is one of the biggest suppliers of automotive radar and Tesla was only using their medium line product.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
HW talk? I'll bite.

It's curious that they switched suppliers especially considering Bosch is one of the biggest suppliers of automotive radar and Tesla was only using their medium line product.

I've wondered about that too, but then I came over this Nvidia PX2 info:
HW2.5 capabilities

Remember HW2.5 isn't just new radar, e-fuse and backup-cam wiring: There's a new autopilot ECU ("supercomputer") as well. We have some info from @verygreen on this, but not enough to conclude wrt exact product, this we need another @kdday-style teardown for

HW talk? I'll bite.

I've wondered about that too, but then I came over this Nvidia PX2 info:
HW2.5 capabilities

Remember HW2.5 isn't just new radar, e-fuse and backup-cam wiring: There's a new autopilot ECU ("supercomputer") as well. We have some info from @verygreen on this, but not enough to conclude wrt exact product, this we need another @kdday-style teardown for

FWIW, I'd take that with a grain of salt (regarding specific radar models). After all, Tesla has clearly gotten the PX2 platform to work with the Bosch MRR14 even though it's not listed as a supported model. If they are buying radar units for at least 25k cars per quarter (not counting the model 3 at all), the engineering cost of writing a CAN-BUS driver for Autopilot is trivial. Every manufacturer expects some reference code to get started and do proof of concepts, but I wouldn't read too much into reference code supported peripheral models …

But yeah, I agree, HW2.5 has additional hardware, but it doesn't seem as likely that they play as much of a role in deactivation of AEB compared to the radar.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Die anyone know if any members here with hw2.5 mS or mX, who upgraded from hw2.0?

It seems like there is definitely some interest in this area. I'm not holding my breath though as hw2 and 2.5 were released with just 1 years in-between.