Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and HOV lanes changed behavior in 42.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I mentioned this change I noticed in 42.3 vs 39.7 in a previous thread, but now had a chance to pull some dashcam footage from the model 3 showing the concern. Unfortunately my widefield dashcam died and I'm waiting for a replacement so I only have the zoomed in tesla cam, but it still shows the issue.

Basically what happens is when you are riding in the HOV lane the car centers itself nicely when it has the double line divider (indicating you can't exit/enter the HOV). Every few km this changes to a dashed line so people can enter/exit, and as of 42.3 when you get to that section the car pulls off to the right rather quickly and really 'hugs' the right side of the lane. It actually makes a pretty dangerous situation because often you are passing traffic that is stopped and you are going 80km/h at this point, and there is ~ 1-2 feet of clearance between you and the stopped cars....hopefully this is something that gets fixed ASAP.

I'm also wondering if those of us on 42.4 have the same behavior. I've attached the video as well as some screenshots. In the video look at the yellow line to the left of the frame at around 11 seconds to appreciate just how much the car moves over when the lane widens, and then about 15 seconds later watch the car move back. The video doesn't really do justice to just how much of a gap it leaves on the left, but it is massive. Probably big enough that a motorcycle could easily fit by.

Has anyone else noticed this? It almost makes me not want to use EAP on my commute until its fixed...

Before entering merge area and car is centered nicely, if anything its more to the left of the lane:

upload_2018-11-6_19-33-4.png

After entering the merge area, and car is significantly more to the right. Almost on top of the dashed line. The red line on the left is approximately the old location of the yellow line before the merge area:

upload_2018-11-6_19-35-25.png

Coming up to the end of the merge section and the car is still significantly to the right:

upload_2018-11-6_19-37-28.png

A few seconds later, and the car shifts back to the left and 'safely' away from the right side:

upload_2018-11-6_19-38-30.png

I'm uploading the whole video to youtube and will post here once its done processing (its taking forever for some reason, its only a 17 mb file, but the forums wont let me add something that large). The screenshots above are from approx 11 seconds in up until around 30 seconds in.

I'm on 42.2 and I drive on 404 HOV a few times every week. The car behaves the same for me in v8 and v9 in HOV lanes. It moves slightly and smooth to the center of the lane when it becomes wider for merging, but it does it smoothly, so it doesn't feel unsafe or anything.
So, it can be a 42.3 "feature"...

I noticed that behaviour in the HOV but not as serious.

The more annoying development has been the car’s strange following behaviour where at times it’ll will start slowing down slowly as if Autopilot notices something, but after a few moments it quickly catches up to the car in front of you and gets back to the set follow distance. I’ve noticed this mostly approaching highway exits.

On the other hand, Autopilot sticking to the highway when approaching an exit “fork” (that doesn’t have lane markings but instead opens up to what Autopilot would see as a widening lane) has become much better.

I noticed that behaviour in the HOV but not as serious.

The more annoying development has been the car’s strange following behaviour where at times it’ll will start slowing down slowly as if Autopilot notices something, but after a few moments it quickly catches up to the car in front of you and gets back to the set follow distance. I’ve noticed this mostly approaching highway exits.

A bump in the road does that to the radar. I've had many experiences where there's nothing in front of me and the car brakes firmly for no reason and then speeds up to the speed setting.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I thought it was just me - but you have described the issue perfectly. That's exactly whats happened since going to 42.3. The car hugs that dotted line and goes way too close to the cars on the left lane. There were a few times where I had to take over and guide the car back, At first I thought it was EAP re-adjusting after the upgrade but so far it hasn't changed the behaviour at all.

Even the sensors of the car don't like how close the car gets - i see the indicators show up as yellow as I'm passing those cars. I hope there's a quick fix to this soon.

Good to know its not just me :)

I did send an escalation through my tesla account and got a canned response about how auto steer is a beta feature and may not always work due to things like weather conditions, poor painted lines, etc. I replied back saying this isn't whats happening. The car is doing the same thing consistently, and the rules it is using to decide how close to go need to be changed. Will update when I hear more.

Youtube upload finally completed....deleting the version from google drive as its much easier to view on youtube....

I tried to capture the behaviour of my M3 in the 404 NB HOV. Autopilot reacted to the traffic on the right and moved over on 3 separate HOV merges. Here is the clip of the corrections below.

Autopilot was engaged at the 5 second mark:

Perhaps the mapping/autopilot data from Teslas that take the 404 HOV assisted my M3 to react as expected? Not sure.

Along with clips of the videos, I've attached pics of the console screen showing the car over to the left while in the HOV lane at the merge sections.

(Centred)
Autopilot HOV - Center 1.jpg
(Centred)
1 IMG_5381.JPG
(Moved to the left)
Autopilot HOV - Moved Over 2.jpg
(Moved to the left)
2 IMG_3023.JPG
(Centered)
Autopilot HOV - Centered Back 3.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to capture the behaviour of my M3 in the 404 NB HOV. Autopilot reacted to the traffic on the right and moved over on 3 separate HOV merges. Here is the clip of the corrections below.

Perhaps the mapping/autopilot data from Teslas that take the 404 HOV assisted my M3 to react as expected? Not sure.

Along with clips of the videos, I've attached pics of the console screen showing the car over to the left while in the HOV lane at the merge sections.

(Centred)View attachment 350673 (Centred)View attachment 350675 (Moved to the left)View attachment 350676 (Moved to the left)View attachment 350677 (Centered)View attachment 350678
Interesting. Are you also on 42.3? There is definitely something different between our experiences. Tonight on the way home some dude in a pickup truck started honking at me when the merge lane came up because to him it looked like I was about to side swipe him when my model 3 moved over to the right. He started giving me dirty looks and kept pace with me for a few hundred meters he was so pissed at me.

Or maybe he was just jealous of my model 3 and the fact that he probably needs to stop and get gas every day since his truck gets 10 mpg, while I literally couldn't tell you how much gas costs (and I haven't known that for over 4 years :cool:)....but I do remember hearing something about it being $0.10 cheaper now....what was that again? :rolleyes:

Reactions: corlaandstan

(Centred)View attachment 350673 (Centred)View attachment 350675 (Moved to the left)View attachment 350676 (Moved to the left)View attachment 350677 (Centered)View attachment 350678

Your video is unavailable: youtube says it's a private video.

Interesting. Are you also on 42.3? There is definitely something different between our experiences. Tonight on the way home some dude in a pickup truck started honking at me when the merge lane came up because to him it looked like I was about to side swipe him when my model 3 moved over to the right. He started giving me dirty looks and kept pace with me for a few hundred meters he was so pissed at me.

Or maybe he was just jealous of my model 3 and the fact that he probably needs to stop and get gas every day since his truck gets 10 mpg, while I literally couldn't tell you how much gas costs (and I haven't known that for over 4 years :cool:)....but I do remember hearing something about it being $0.10 cheaper now....what was that again? :rolleyes:

Ohhhhh you must have heard about the fairytale gas savings that was told by the buckabeer premier. Yeah......it made for a cool campaign promise.

I’m on 42.3. I will keep a look out for any changes in behaviour but gonna be without the car for a bit. Getting some warranty work, (panel and paint issues). Hopefully it won’t be in the shop too long.

Last edited:
I had my car in for service yesterday, on my way home I hug the right side of every lane I am in (HOV, standard lane, and exit ramp). The screen clearly indicates that I am not centered in the lane.
I upgraded to 42.4 a couple days prior to my appointment and I had not problems. While in for service I received a notification on my app that my software update was complete. When I look at TeslaFi tracking of my software updates, there is no indication of a software update.

I like the way @Techniques snapped pictures of what the HUD shows in terms of where the car is in the lane. I took a few images this morning, and a video. Unfortunately the video is all shakey as I wasn't doing a good job of holding the phone still, so it doesn't do much good. However, the image below shows another example of this phenomenon:

upload_2018-11-8_17-5-11.png

Note the location of the car in front of me (its fuzzy), but it is pushed all the way to the left of the lane, and note where the HUD shows it in the lane....all the way to the left. Now, look at where my car is all the way to the right, and you can appreciate just how close I am to the dashed line.

Also note that the proximity sensors are going off like crazy on my model 3 as I fly past the stopped cars. In this situation, even the slightest nudge to the right by me, or someone entering my lane a bit too much, will end very badly.

I like the way @Techniques snapped pictures of what the HUD shows in terms of where the car is in the lane. I took a few images this morning, and a video. Unfortunately the video is all shakey as I wasn't doing a good job of holding the phone still, so it doesn't do much good. However, the image below shows another example of this phenomenon:

View attachment 350900

Note the location of the car in front of me (its fuzzy), but it is pushed all the way to the left of the lane, and note where the HUD shows it in the lane....all the way to the left. Now, look at where my car is all the way to the right, and you can appreciate just how close I am to the dashed line.

Also note that the proximity sensors are going off like crazy on my model 3 as I fly past the stopped cars. In this situation, even the slightest nudge to the right by me, or someone entering my lane a bit too much, will end very badly.
This could be a long shot, but try taking over autosteer and steer the car closer to the left line when you are near the merge sections in the HOV and in AP. I remember when I first got the car I did that a few times as I felt the car was too close to the cars to the right of me. I left the car in TACC but was steering manually through the merge sections.
Might be worth a shot because there could be a chance after a few manually overrides of autosteer the car adapts to how you navigate certain stretches of road/highways especially when you kick it out if autosteer.

Could be worth a try to test for a few days.

Yay, Nay?

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC
C
This could be a long shot, but try taking over autosteer and steer the car closer to the left line when you are near the merge sections in the HOV and in AP. I remember when I first got the car I did that a few times as I felt the car was too close to the cars to the right of me. I left the car in TACC but was steering manually through the merge sections.
Might be worth a shot because there could be a chance after a few manually overrides of autosteer the car adapts to how you navigate certain stretches of road/highways especially when you kick it out if autosteer.

Could be worth a try to test for a few days.

Yay, Nay?
Can't hurt to try it out. You never know....I'm actually bringing the car in to Tesla Oakville tomorrow to adjust some panel gaps, so will likely not be until next week when I can test it again.

Reactions: Techniques