Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP and HOV lanes changed behavior in 42.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got 42.3 today and indeed encountering the same issue when I’m driving on 403 HOV today.

42.2 is fine

model x

But when activating during the dot line, the car centers good until next dot line session

It's weird - I find that the 403 Westbound HOV lane the car will either stay in the middle now (when driving alongside the dotted lines) or hug the solid yellow line on the left until it centers itself again past the merger lanes.

The QEW HOV lanes (Both Eastbound and Westbound) continue to exhibit the same behaviour. I am keeping EAP on in the hopes that the data gathered is sent to Tesla HQ and a fix issued based on the data.

Weird, I've noticed the opposite. Before 42.2 I was riding middle of the lane, and during the merge sections it would center again, causing it to do a hard left back into the centre of the lane when the double-line started.

But now on 42.2 and 42.2.1 I see it stays on the left side, about a foot from the line, and just rides it through, even when the merge lane opens and closes again.

Driving in the HOV on the 417 in Ottawa (both directions)

This must be something with how tesla has tagged HOV lanes. Seems most people report on the 403 through Burlington and Mississauga it hugs the right lane as I've reported. On the 404 it stays in the centre, and 417 on the left.

At least reading through the posts that's what the trend seems to be.

For the last 2 days I tried enabling EAP and it still does the same pull to the right. Though now I jerk the wheel back and break out of autosteer every time it does this in the hopes it will 'learn' to stay. Hasn't made any changes yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
Had a chance to try 44.1 on the HOV in Oakville/Burlington today. No change in the behaviour I am seeing in regards to hugging the right of the lane in merge areas. My workaround is to disable auto steer by jerking the wheel when approaching the merge area and then re enabling when the double line appears. Kind of annoying, but better than not using EAP at all.

I'm also on 44.1 and the other behaviour I've noticed is that the follow distance is off -- it seems to be slowing in situations where it doesn't need to and leaving way more space than it should be. This is much more pronounced when a car you're following is tailgating the car in front of him.

Anybody else find this?

Resurrecting this old thread a bit because this morning I was driving to work, and halfway through the drive I realized EAP was no longer 'hugging' the right side of the HOV lane as it has done since I took delivery. This is with the latest software update 2019.5.15 (sentry mode, etc). Maybe I'm crazy, so I'll pay more attention on the way home with baited breath. I've gotten used to it, but passengers in my car are very nervous when it starts swerving back and forth during the HOV entry/exit points.

Hello All,

I found this thread because of the title, but I don't have the exact same issue. I am on 2019.20.4.4.

Yes, I agree that the car wants to centre itself during the double and the single dash lines. You do move over and it is a bit scary as you get closer to all those slow or stopped moving cars.

My issue is that when on EAP on in the HOV lanes, the car wants to change out of the HOV lane as soon as the dashed lines show up. I hit the ignore button but it just keeps on wanting to do it. This has been happening for awhile so it is not the latest update.

Its so annoying I take it out of EAP and leave it in TACC.

Anyone else have this and a fix for it?

Also, I do have the feature "allow HOV lanes" in the on position.

Thank you,

Vin

My issue is that when on EAP on in the HOV lanes, the car wants to change out of the HOV lane as soon as the dashed lines show up. I hit the ignore button but it just keeps on wanting to do it. This has been happening for awhile so it is not the latest update.

You don't have to switch to TACC. You can also disable Navigate on Autopilot and keep using autopilot itself. Then it won't change lanes automatically, but will keep you centered within the current lane.

Hello All,

I found this thread because of the title, but I don't have the exact same issue. I am on 2019.20.4.4.

Yes, I agree that the car wants to centre itself during the double and the single dash lines. You do move over and it is a bit scary as you get closer to all those slow or stopped moving cars.

Its so annoying I take it out of EAP and leave it in TACC.

Anyone else have this and a fix for it?

Also, I do have the feature "allow HOV lanes" in the on position.

Thank you,

Vin
This is a logic error in how EAP/NoA handles HOV lanes...apparently its everywhere. I previously thought it was limited to the HOV stretches I frequent. There is nothing you can do other than submitting a bug report when this happens (I hit the voice prompt icon and say 'Bug report, Navigate on autopilot tried to remove me from the HOV lane'. In addition I disable NoA at the same time in the hopes that the log files on the car will correlate with the bug report. If enough people do this, it will hopefully get fixed in a future software update.

You mention that you see the car move over when the dashed lines area shows up. Be thankful you didn't have the earlier builds that caused me to start this thread. Back then the car would literally 'hug' the right side of the lane so you would be < 1 foot away from all the stopped cars, and have 4 feet of space on the other side of the lane. That was scary, and it would happen with Autopilot as well as NoA.

There is nothing you can do other than submitting a bug report when this happens (I hit the voice prompt icon and say 'Bug report, Navigate on autopilot tried to remove me from the HOV lane'. In addition I disable NoA at the same time in the hopes that the log files on the car will correlate with the bug report. If enough people do this, it will hopefully get fixed in a future software update.

Glad that I am not the only one. Well, not so glad I guess that we have this issue. I really like NOA but not in the HOV lanes.

Good idea on the Bug report. Will start to log when this happens.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Vin

20.4.4 and don’t have this issue. Mine centres in the HOV lane, adjusting when it gets wider or narrower.

I think HOV behaviour might be location-specific - maybe they literally have to program HOV dimensions and locations into the nav data. That would explain the issue I have that nobody else does - in Ottawa my 3 brakes hard for any vehicle in the “normal lanes” if I’m going faster than them and pass one of the entry/exit sections. Annoying since this is the entire attraction of using the HOV lane. It’s a phantom braking nightmare for me, every time. From other posts, it seems it’s just the Ottawa 417 that has the issue.