Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Class Action Settlement 7-26-18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious.
Did you have to apply for this?
Or did purchasing EAP prior to the September 2017 automatically get you in the class...?

It is automatic. Tesla likely shared information to formulate a class. Tesla also promised to pay international purchasers just because they were sorry about the delay. The EAP litigation and settlement was solely for US purchasers during set times. If you bought EAP you will get a check for an amount set by schedule.

The only actions required were those who wanted to opt out or object to the terms of the settlement.

It is automatic. Tesla likely shared information to formulate a class. Tesla also promised to pay international purchasers just because they were sorry about the delay. The EAP litigation and settlement was solely for US purchasers during set times. If you bought EAP you will get a check for an amount set by schedule.

The only actions required were those who wanted to opt out or object to the terms of the settlement.
Thanks,
I don’t recall any correspondence on this.

You probably should've received a postcard concerning the lawsuit. Oh well.

We have one car that would've been eligible for $280 and another for $200 but we opted out of the settlement.

Did you opt out because you want to pursue a remedy from tesla separately? Or because you feel like you got what you were promised.

I got my check today for ~$172... Kind of a joke if you ask me given that it was a $5000 option and just now (years later) is starting to get some of the features that were promised... but I guess it’s better than nothing *shrug*

Well, I just got my class action settlement check for $76.13.

The lawyers got $961,018.00 plus their expenses of $14,981.95, so $976,000 total.

The 5 people that brought this lawsuit get $4800 each as a “special incentive” plus the amount each of the class members get so a little over $5000 each.

It cost Tesla $5,415,280 in cash.

So what did I get for my $76.13?

Well, I guess I’ve now sued Tesla. I like Tesla. I didn’t want to sue them. Dean Sheikh and the other 4, thanks for that.

I’ve agreed that Tesla didn’t do anything wrong. I don’t quite agree. I still think promises should be kept. I can’t complain, though. I have $76.13.

I’ve given up all rights to sue Tesla for anything to do with the autopilot system, unless it gets me into an accident, but as far as any promises they’ve made to me about the autopilot system, I have a check for $76.13, now they don’t have to deliver on any of it. I feel cheated, not by Tesla, but by Dean Sheikh and his 4 cronies.

Tesla did promise my car was capable of FSD. I guess that promise is gone too.

I know I should have opted out. I was lazy, didn’t. So now I’m right there, right with that buttmonkey five. I thought I was better than that. I’m not. It’s official. There’s the 5 and me.

The lawyers made quite a bit. That’s just what they do. They can’t help it, they’re lawyers. The 5 litigious owners got $5000 each. Tesla is out almost 5 and a half million dollars. The rest of us get a meaningless amount.

I am going to send my $76.13 to the American Cancer Society. I don’t want it. Maybe a little bit of good will come from this stupid, stupid lawsuit.

I just got my check for $282 in the mail today.
Was this the return address?
1F066377-9980-429E-BDCC-E08F187430DE.jpeg

Well, I just got my class action settlement check for $76.13.

The lawyers got $961,018.00 plus their expenses of $14,981.95, so $976,000 total.

The 5 people that brought this lawsuit get $4800 each as a “special incentive” plus the amount each of the class members get so a little over $5000 each.

It cost Tesla $5,415,280 in cash.

So what did I get for my $76.13?

Well, I guess I’ve now sued Tesla. I like Tesla. I didn’t want to sue them. Dean Sheikh and the other 4, thanks for that.

I’ve agreed that Tesla didn’t do anything wrong. I don’t quite agree. I still think promises should be kept. I can’t complain, though. I have $76.13.

I’ve given up all rights to sue Tesla for anything to do with the autopilot system, unless it gets me into an accident, but as far as any promises they’ve made to me about the autopilot system, I have a check for $76.13, now they don’t have to deliver on any of it. I feel cheated, not by Tesla, but by Dean Sheikh and his 4 cronies.

Tesla did promise my car was capable of FSD. I guess that promise is gone too.

I know I should have opted out. I was lazy, didn’t. So now I’m right there, right with that buttmonkey five. I thought I was better than that. I’m not. It’s official. There’s the 5 and me.

The lawyers made quite a bit. That’s just what they do. They can’t help it, they’re lawyers. The 5 litigious owners got $5000 each. Tesla is out almost 5 and a half million dollars. The rest of us get a meaningless amount.

I am going to send my $76.13 to the American Cancer Society. I don’t want it. Maybe a little bit of good will come from this stupid, stupid lawsuit.

Does anyone know what we’ve actually agreed to by not opting out? (By the way, how in earth is it legal to waive rights by taking no action? That seems completely backwards... I too planned to opt out but missed the deadline/forgot all about it until this check showed up... if I don’t cash the check, would that count as opting out?)

My biggest concern at this point is that they use this settlement as a way to wiggle out of delivering on their full self driving claims (and also on delivering EAP features that were promised like smart summon).

I didn’t purchase FSD, because I knew that the product didn’t exist yet. But I did purchase EAP and a car with AP2 in part based on the promise that I would be able to upgrade to the full self driving feature set in the future with an OTA update by paying $4000...

TBH, I wasn’t even thinking that FSD would be related to this (and it may not be)... but I do feel like I have little to no recourse to get tesla to deliver on their promises now :/

Does anyone know what we’ve actually agreed to by not opting out? (By the way, how in earth is it legal to waive rights by taking no action? That seems completely backwards... I too planned to opt out but missed the deadline/forgot all about it until this check showed up... if I don’t cash the check, would that count as opting out?)

Nope.

The papers are on line, they address uncashed checks.

Reactions: appleguru
My biggest concern at this point is that they use this settlement as a way to wiggle out of delivering on their full self driving claims (and also on delivering EAP features that were promised like smart summon).

I didn’t purchase FSD, because I knew that the product didn’t exist yet. But I did purchase EAP and a car with AP2 in part based on the promise that I would be able to upgrade to the full self driving feature set in the future with an OTA update by paying $4000...

TBH, I wasn’t even thinking that FSD would be related to this (and it may not be)... but I do feel like I have little to no recourse to get tesla to deliver on their promises now :/

Realistically it doesn’t matter. Tesla is too invested in FSD and sells too many cars for this to make any difference. I’m annoyed by being personally dragged into this hideous misuse of Tesla’s money.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Well, another $20.60 came today. I’ll add that to the $76.13 that they paid out a year ago. That’s $96.73.

Seikh got $4800. I guess the California court system figured his enhanced autopilot was about 48 times worse than mine was.

The lawyers got $961,018. Their expenses were only $14,982. That’s a profit of $946,036. It was settled out of court so it’s not like these lawyers did any courtroom time.

It cost Tesla $5.4 million.

If anyone else is planning one of these expensive lawyer fests, please leave me out of it.

And Seikh, if anyone else makes wild ass promises to you, give me a call and I’ll explain things to you.