Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how’s your experience and when you requested the refund how long did it take to process?
My experience has been good. This is a valuable tool for highway driving and auto lane change makes the difference. The interchanges that are slow and curvy with a limit of 25mph, the car slows to that limit but no one drives that slow so people tailgate. I find i can press on the accelerator to make it go faster so for now that is fine. The refund took 2 days to be back to my card.

I know he keeps saying that the price of full self driving is going to keep going up every year but I’m assuming the reason he’s doing this EAP sale in the first place is because clearly they haven’t been able to sell enough FSD this quarter and/ or need to make revenues look good for shareholders. Wouldn’t it then be dumb to keep increasing the price as this would effectively price out many buyers in the future? Like what good is it if no one can afford it? I get his argument that it’s a valuable asset but at some point people just won’t buy it if it’s ridiculously expensive. Am I wrong in this thought process?

To each his own. I personally think spending $10k for performance is ridiculous and think $8k for an ever evolving smart car is about the coolest thing I've ever owned.

They've obviously got X% that didn't FSD. Whether that's low or high is anyone's guess. Either way Y% of those X% converting to EAP is pure money at the end of the quarter.

Doesn't need to be any reason other than $$$.

Reactions: Siromnom
Easy end of quarter money, plus no hardware updates required.

Plus, better to offer now so when FSD “really” launches you may be able snag more upsells since now it is “cheaper”. It really isn’t, but if you paid for EAP, and FSD is “just” another X dollars, I think that’s easier for folks to justify.

Really want to goose sales numbers? Offer a free one time FSD transfer for existing owners buying a more expensive model (or just a new one).

Reactions: RareJ
I have FSD but the NOA is the thing that separates the birds from the bees. Using NOA on my weekly 150 mile one-way commute the car drives itself. I just supervise. I rarely have to intervene. Occasionally the car does not change lanes to pass a slower vehicle as I would prefer so I simply initiate the pass using the turn signal. That is rare. Most of the time the car changes lanes on it's lonesome and passes the slower vehicle perfectly, returning to the correct lane as it should. If I had been asked a year ago, when I first started using NOA, I would not have been very enthusiastic. Now I would say it's the snake's hips, the bee's knees in traditional 40's speak. NOA is the one thing I would not wish to do without, the big difference on my commute between driving the PD3 versus our really cool 4 Runner. Why has my opinion changed? NOA is way ahead of where it was a year ago. But just as important I have learned how to use it properly. There is a learning curve that a trial of a few days will never put right. I will add that my commute is on an 80 mph interstate will little traffic, so there's that.........still.........it does fine In city freeway traffic here in Montana. But that ain't the LA Freeway or the Cross Bronx Express. if I had to go back to no NOA I would say humbug...........ain't doing it..........The point is to put opinions about NOA into the perspective of when, for how long, and the conditions of use. I am not now a fan of the city driving stuff included with FSD, traffic lights, blah, blah, blah. However, I will hold judgment based on these features being in their infancy and me not caring enough to even bother to learn how to use these things properly. In any case, none of these features are turn-it-on and zone out......you're either on the bus or off the bus........

this is just what i was waiting for .

I dont really want FSD -- i have little confidence that Tesla will delivery real FSD and i dont mind driving myself around town.

I do want lane changes on the highway, i want freeway interchanges, and i want summon + self-parking.

so this is the perfect package for me -- and 4K is ok by my book -- bought it, been enjoying it for a few days now.

Same here - great addition and i am going for it.
Pricey for sure, but if you amortise it over the (hopefully long) life of a new car, this seems like a great investment for lots of stress-free long journeys.

Reactions: Gizmo35 and Fernand
I have FSD but the NOA is the thing that separates the birds from the bees. Using NOA on my weekly 150 mile one-way commute the car drives itself. I just supervise. I rarely have to intervene. Occasionally the car does not change lanes to pass a slower vehicle as I would prefer so I simply initiate the pass using the turn signal. That is rare. Most of the time the car changes lanes on it's lonesome and passes the slower vehicle perfectly, returning to the correct lane as it should. If I had been asked a year ago, when I first started using NOA, I would not have been very enthusiastic. Now I would say it's the snake's hips, the bee's knees in traditional 40's speak. NOA is the one thing I would not wish to do without, the big difference on my commute between driving the PD3 versus our really cool 4 Runner. Why has my opinion changed? NOA is way ahead of where it was a year ago. But just as important I have learned how to use it properly. There is a learning curve that a trial of a few days will never put right. I will add that my commute is on an 80 mph interstate will little traffic, so there's that.........still.........it does fine In city freeway traffic here in Montana. But that ain't the LA Freeway or the Cross Bronx Express. if I had to go back to no NOA I would say humbug...........ain't doing it..........The point is to put opinions about NOA into the perspective of when, for how long, and the conditions of use. I am not now a fan of the city driving stuff included with FSD, traffic lights, blah, blah, blah. However, I will hold judgment based on these features being in their infancy and me not caring enough to even bother to learn how to use these things properly. In any case, none of these features are turn-it-on and zone out......you're either on the bus or off the bus........

Exactly! EAP (highway/freeway/motorway) and FSD (cool city stuff) are for different uses and whether you'll like them depends on where and how you drive.

Also agree there is a learning curve with NoA - feels strange at the beginning, but once you get used to it it is great. Bet you that when FSD introduces new features it will be patchy/uncomfrotable at first, but then we will eventually get used to these as well.

Re-inventing driving means we need to re-invent our driving behaviour - takes time and patience. But it's fun and more relaxing too.

Reactions: PACEMD and Nels
Oh, thanks Guys, I can't tell you how happy I am to finally see some comments from people who've taken the time to realize there's a learning curve involved in using NOA. I was getting depressed watching the comments from people who try it for a few hours/days without even realizing it's a different driving paradigm and then conclude it's "not for them". Nothing new is comfortable at first. But once you "get it", you'll never give it up. The automation is easily worth 1/3 of the price of the car, let alone the $4k you can get it for in this EAP offering!

It's great that Tesla gives the base Autopilot away. But even if you don't think you want the future with more city driving automation, EAP/NOA is what every Tesla owner should have.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlasry1
Oh, thanks Guys, I can't tell you how happy I am to finally see some comments from people who've taken the time to realize there's a learning curve involved in using NOA. I was getting depressed watching the comments from people who try it for a few hours/days without even realizing it's a different driving paradigm and then conclude it's "not for them". Nothing new is comfortable at first. But once you "get it", you'll never give it up. The automation is easily worth 1/3 of the price of the car, let alone the $4k you can get it for in this EAP offering!

It's great that Tesla gives the base Autopilot away. But even if you don't think you want the future with more city driving automation, EAP/NOA is what every Tesla owner should have.

Even regular AP takes a few weeks to fully adjust to. I was on high alert when I first started using it, and now I feel confident letting it do its thing. Obviously I am very much paying attention, but at first it was more stressful having AP enabled because I did not know what it could and could not handle.

Reactions: PACEMD

You intimate that the car is capable of autonomous lane changes, I thought the driver had to initiate it with the turn signal. Which is it?

You intimate that the car is capable of autonomous lane changes, I thought the driver had to initiate it with the turn signal. Which is it?

You can enable auto lane changes with NOA, but you still have to confirm the lane change the same way you dismiss an AP nag. At least that is how it worked the last time I used NOA.

Also, you can manually do auto lane changes with the turn signal. IE, hold turn signal down and the car will change to the lane to the left if it's safe to do so.

You can enable auto lane changes with NOA, but you still have to confirm the lane change the same way you dismiss an AP nag. At least that is how it worked the last time I used NOA.

Also, you can manually do auto lane changes with the turn signal. IE, hold turn signal down and the car will change to the lane to the left if it's safe to do so.

As i understand this is different in the US from the EU.
In the US you can toggle a "no-confirmation" lane change: then NOA will do the lane change for you without any other confirmation than your hands on the wheel.
In the EU, this is apparently not allowed due to additional UN regulations that are in force: so NOA will suggest a lane change, that must then be confirmed by 1. having your hands on the wheel and 2. turning on the signal.

Last edited:
EAP is back as an option! Basically, it’s FSD without city driving. It includes summon and parking.

I’m tempted.

View attachment 589803
I purchased it yesterday. I heard it's available until the end of the month. I found it is still in beta mode and if you plan to purchase the FSD, after you purchase the enhanced version the cost is $5000.00. I'm not sure why they add another $1000.00 to the full drive if you purchase the enhanced version.

Reactions: flyingowl
It’s a no on EAP for me. I’d rather have the 3.0 hardware and pay for it, so I’m just going to pull the trigger on FSD. Thanks everyone for the great comments here. You’ve all made me think about the options. What stuck for me is the idea of all in or nothing. I live my life that way so I’m not sure why this was such a hard decision. I’ve been debating if the Model 3 is the car I want to stick with for awhile (normally only keep cars 3 year or so) but I’m at the point of just committing to the costs and ride this car out until something more exciting comes along. I’ve had Porsche’s, Mercedes, BMW and gone through all of the Toyota hybrids and the Model 3 has been in the top 2 of pleasure to drive and own.

Reactions: flyingowl