Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toronto (Downtown) and Ottawa should be getting some very soon. Unfortunately can't say where yet, but in Toronto I've noticed pre work has started where they will ultimately be built.

A reliable source at Flo Energie told me Tesla will be adding some superchargers at the Eaton Centre. I'm not sure the rationale behind this but he was sure it was happening.

I can neither confirm or deny ;)

Would these new SCs be on the 2017 map? When you look at the 2017 map there appear to be three SCs in Toronto, compared to the one (Lawrence) today. The map isn't generally that accurate so it is hard to determine if the points are meant to be downtown, in Mississauga or in Oshawa, and they may be consciously spacing some of the points so that they aren't right on top of each other.

IMHO it would be nice to see one around Milton/Guelph - yesterday I drove from Scarborough to Waterloo and back and made it with 9% left. I took the 407 which adds some distance but saves time. If I was desperate there are some L2 chargers, plus some L3s now but they don't help me unless I get a chademo adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Wouldn't the Eaton Centre be a terrible location? Sure, the more the better, but something on the West side of downtown would make a lot more sense wouldn't it? Plus, then you have the issue of paying for parking to supercharge, or having to track down someone to validate your parking.

The Eaton Centre Yonge Street garage has very good access to the DVP (Richmond/Adelaide) and Gardiner (Jarvis). It would most likely be paid parking, but that would be the case anywhere downtown. On the up side, there is the Eaton Centre as a great amenity to spend some time in while charging

Wouldn't the Eaton Centre be a terrible location? Sure, the more the better, but something on the West side of downtown would make a lot more sense wouldn't it? Plus, then you have the issue of paying for parking to supercharge, or having to track down someone to validate your parking.
Is not the idea that Superchargers are for long distance travel. The Eaton Centre would be the absolute last place I would expect one. Some destination chargers maybe, but a Supercharger, that is absolutely nuts.

If you do any amount of driving off the beaten path (off the SC network), you should get a CHAdeMO adaptor. The peace of mind and the flexibility are well worth the price.
I don't really do any longer term driving - although I will occasionally stretch the 400km rated range of my P85D, but it is always on the 401 or QEW so the SCs do the job. I have no desire to ever drive a car, even a Tesla, across the country or to the maritimes. But it was really a moot point until now as there weren't even any L3 chargers around Ontario.

Would these new SCs be on the 2017 map? When you look at the 2017 map there appear to be three SCs in Toronto, compared to the one (Lawrence) today. The map isn't generally that accurate so it is hard to determine if the points are meant to be downtown, in Mississauga or in Oshawa, and they may be consciously spacing some of the points so that they aren't right on top of each other.

IMHO it would be nice to see one around Milton/Guelph - yesterday I drove from Scarborough to Waterloo and back and made it with 9% left. I took the 407 which adds some distance but saves time. If I was desperate there are some L2 chargers, plus some L3s now but they don't help me unless I get a chademo adapter.

I feel your pain! I did an Oakville to Waterloo run last weekend and in the next 5 years, I anticipate that I will drive that route a little more often. I did a L2 charge in Waterloo but I would have loved if I can figure out a CHAdeMO connection out there.

Putting a request to my local SC resulted in an "out of stock and I don't know when I'll have one" response. Apparently there is a good demand for these adapters.

Tesla has reportedly approved six new Superchargers for Eastern Canada.

That would work out to about half of the forecast 12-13 on the "2017," map. Based on past history, it appears to be a likely ratio.
Of course, it isn't in sync with statements to investors like "the number of Superchargers in N.A. will double in 2017."

He [FLO rep stating Superchargers are coming to the Eaton Centre] is probably confused about the charging infrastructure. He probably means level 2 or Chademo but not Supercharger.

Someone who works for a charging network/Charging station manufacturer should know infrastructure, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That would work out to about half of the forecast 12-13 on the "2017," map. Based on past history, it appears to be a likely ratio.
Of course, it isn't in sync with statements to investors like "the number of Superchargers in N.A. will double in 2017."

Oh, they could easily double North America without doubling Canada. But they probably won't do that either. SJ had a reality distortion field; EM has a time distortion field.