Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel your pain! I did an Oakville to Waterloo run last weekend and in the next 5 years, I anticipate that I will drive that route a little more often. I did a L2 charge in Waterloo but I would have loved if I can figure out a CHAdeMO connection out there.
You should be fine going from Oakville to Waterloo in an 85, even in Winter. I made it home with 40km of rated range left and starting from Oakville would save you at least 80km on the round trip compared to Scarborough.

You should be fine going from Oakville to Waterloo in an 85, even in Winter. I made it home with 40km of rated range left and starting from Oakville would save you at least 80km on the round trip compared to Scarborough.

Certainly the model that I drive has adequate range but the reality is that I don't just head off to Waterloo on a full charge. The distance is about 170 KM round trip and it uses about 240-250 km of rated range. That's well within the typical "full tank" that I set my car to at 300 RKM. However, more often than not, I also have to factor in my commute to work and back (or other errands that I run that day) since often times the trip to Waterloo is not the only place I drive on that day. Thus, getting a top-up charge in Waterloo improves my buffer situation and also allows me to still use the car when I get back. Having a great EV like the Tesla has certainly encouraged me to drive even more than before. As for the P85D range, it is more than adequate but if I had access to more charging facilities, it would even be better (a want rather than a need). With proper planning, I can schedule my prior-evenings charge to top up to 375 RKM but the reality is sometimes planning doesn't work when surprises pop up. For now, I enjoy the challenge to go wherever I want within the limitations of what I have available. It's truly awesome!

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
That would work out to about half of the forecast 12-13 on the "2017," map. Based on past history, it appears to be a likely ratio.
Of course, it isn't in sync with statements to investors like "the number of Superchargers in N.A. will double in 2017."

Someone who works for a charging network/Charging station manufacturer should know infrastructure, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.
If he is a non Tesla person, he probably does NOT know what a Supercharger is and therefore my thinking remains unchanged.

Well, here we are the beginning of April and no sign whatsoever of any new SC construction here in Canada. I see no evidence of anything happening this year, especially in the Ottawa area. I hope I am dead wrong!

what about the possibility that there may be a supercharger built at the new service centre in Calgary which is under construction. Seems you might have forgotten that there is a western Canada again?

Yesterday, I was charging at one of the 5 new L3 ChargePoint chargers at the Toronto Airport via my CHAdeMO adapter. While I was there, a Nissan Leaf badged up with the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) logos pulled up and a couple of engineers got out to talk to me. They were very happy to see me using the station, and even gave me a tip on how to reset the station if it faults out while you are using it. (One station did fault while I was using it, and the engineer texted me later to say there was a "coolant leak" that they were going to fix shortly).

They said they had, or were going to, approach Tesla about putting in a Supercharger stall or two to complement the existing L3s there. Barring that, they are considering some sort of loaner CHAdeMO adapter system utilizing a locker that you open with a credit card deposit which is refunded when the adapter is returned. The problem is the credit card fee would have to be more than the adapter costs or else people might just make off with it if they are forfeiting less than the cost of the adapter.

They thought the CHAdeMO adapter was somehow electronically locked to the vehicle, but they were very happy to hear that is not the case.

Kudos to the GTAA for being really enthusiastic about this. They even have numerous street signs up pointing drivers to these stations.

That page now gives a File not found error. Too good to be true.

It is absolutely true. The federal funding was awarded late last year and can't now be spent on anything very different from what was proposed. There's probably some simple hang-up with lawyers at some layer, like a contract problem with one of the sites. Utilities are very conservative and would not have the content in writing without being 99% of the way through negotiations.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
It is absolutely true. The federal funding was awarded late last year and can't now be spent on anything very different from what was proposed. There's probably some simple hang-up with lawyers at some layer, like a contract problem with one of the sites. Utilities are very conservative and would not have the content in writing without being 99% of the way through negotiations.

As an alternative link, here is the cbc story: 10 new electric vehicle fast-charging stations planned on Trans-Canada in N.B.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
Yesterday, I was charging at one of the 5 new L3 ChargePoint chargers at the Toronto Airport via my CHAdeMO adapter. While I was there, a Nissan Leaf badged up with the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) logos pulled up and a couple of engineers got out to talk to me. They were very happy to see me using the station, and even gave me a tip on how to reset the station if it faults out while you are using it. (One station did fault while I was using it, and the engineer texted me later to say there was a "coolant leak" that they were going to fix shortly).

They said they had, or were going to, approach Tesla about putting in a Supercharger stall or two to complement the existing L3s there. Barring that, they are considering some sort of loaner CHAdeMO adapter system utilizing a locker that you open with a credit card deposit which is refunded when the adapter is returned. The problem is the credit card fee would have to be more than the adapter costs or else people might just make off with it if they are forfeiting less than the cost of the adapter.

They thought the CHAdeMO adapter was somehow electronically locked to the vehicle, but they were very happy to hear that is not the case.

Kudos to the GTAA for being really enthusiastic about this. They even have numerous street signs up pointing drivers to these stations.

For the same money, couldnt they put like 50 L2 stations in? Wouldn't that make more sense? The only use case I can think of for L3 is a drop off/pick up of another party, which in that case it is super handy. It's great that they are taking interest tho. Are they free to use? Is there anything 24 hours nearby that could be the chademo lender?

I was there yesterday. I was a bit of a tourist attraction I think. No one got out to talk but people drove the long way around to check out the car plugged in... including a GTAA vehicle.

What I liked the most was the EV Charging signs on the public roads pointing the way. It legitimizes the EV infrastructure rather than keeping it an obscure secret.

IMG_1210.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
For the same money, couldnt they put like 50 L2 stations in? Wouldn't that make more sense? The only use case I can think of for L3 is a drop off/pick up of another party, which in that case it is super handy...

Are they free to use? ...?

Taxis/Uber fit in the drop off/pick-up category, so there's huge potential for reduction in GES and other pollutants.

Yes, they are free, at least for the time-being.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
For the same money, couldnt they put like 50 L2 stations in? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Actually, I don't think so. The high power L3 stations are extremely useful for someone stopped and waiting for their passengers to arrive (this is the cell phone lot, after all) where they can get a decent amount of range in a short time. Being right next to the long-term parking garage, it is also convenient for someone who has parked for a week or more and needs a quick top off before going home.

Rather than 50 L2 stations, I think 500 L1 plugs in the parking garage would make more sense. Why hog a L2 for 2 weeks when the car would be finished charging in a matter of hours? Let the car trickle away on L1 while you're away on your trip. I've always said the power level of the station should be inversely proportional to the expected duration of stay.

Actually, I don't think so. The high power L3 stations are extremely useful for someone stopped and waiting for their passengers to arrive (this is the cell phone lot, after all) where they can get a decent amount of range in a short time. Being right next to the long-term parking garage, it is also convenient for someone who has parked for a week or more and needs a quick top off before going home.

Rather than 50 L2 stations, I think 500 L1 plugs in the parking garage would make more sense. Why hog a L2 for 2 weeks when the car would be finished charging in a matter of hours? Let the car trickle away on L1 while you're away on your trip. I've always said the power level of the station should be inversely proportional to the expected duration of stay.

Yes you are correct.... L1 at long term would make the most sense.

Reactions: RichardC and Jaff
So here I am charging with the Tesla charger at the Brookstreet hotel in Ottawa.
I desperately needed a charge after my stay in Carp.
I pulled in and of course both tesla spots were taken. Had to use the awful and slow, 30A public charger next to them.
Finally am able to move over to the Tesla charger.
Need at least 180 km range to get to Kingston SC on Hwy 10.
Still need another hour charging.
I was at the Canadian aviation museum yesterday and that too, had a Tesla charging so I plugged into the Sun Country one and of course it was broken. I called Sun Country and they said they delivered a replacement two months ago! Really?
Whose to blame here?
So we managed to crawl to the Westin tesla charger, which was also slow, and charge 30 min or so just so we can get back to Carp and plug in overnight at 120V @ 6 km an hour!
Hence the reason for charging again at Brookstreet!
I also have a slow leak in one of the tires!
To say that I am livid with Tesla is an understatement!
What a total waste of time coming here because of this hassle!

My friend in Ottawa said she would never buy an EV because of the waiting and lack of infrastructure. Can you blame her?
Obviously this is unusual and I tried to tell her but she would have no part of it and is determined that electric car usage is still not ready yet.
Misinformed minds is not what Tesla needs right now!

Tesla, for the love of humanity, get your act together and put a &&&)$&@7&! Supercharger NOW in the Ottawa region!
This is $&@&)((@ ludicrous!
Even if you have to rip out the useless Superchargers in Parry Sound and Huntsville to do it, get it done!
Totally unacceptable!
Did I say I was livid!
Oh yes I did.
I am livid with Tesla right now as Ottawa should have had a SC years ago! Permits, if that's the issue, should have been resolved four years ago!
Someone at Tesla is not doing his or her job!
I'm still livid!
I understand that you are frustrated and I am sorry that you had a rough time on your trip, but find travelling to Ottawa from Toronto is now comparatively stress free (relative to four years ago, when there were no Superchargers or L3 chargers, and very few L2 chargers). Downtown Ottawa now offers a number of charging options, making it relatively easy to plan some activities within walking distance of multiple alternative chargers. For our first trips along Hwy 7, there was not even a single L2 charger for the entire distance from North Toronto to Ottawa. There are now many L2 and at least a half dozen L3 chargers along that route.

I would tend to vote with those favouring the extension of the Supercharger network into Atlantic Canada, to open up areas which are now effectively inaccessible, as a higher priority. Huntsville and Parry Sound have also opened up access to new areas, which I view as the principal purpose to be served by Superchargers.

Not sure if this is a supercharger review thread anymore but here comes one.

Travelled from Montreal to Toronto and it was pretty easy with plenty of supercharger options and permutations.

Being new we tried to stop at all of the superchargers to get a feel for which ones we'll use in the future. Here are some notes.

Montreal - don't bother going to the tesla store...they have 2 SC, and they are no longer going to show up on the map because they're always rammed full...instead go to the Montreal main supercharger location which I believe has 12 stalls (didn't go there). The tesla store lot is mayhem and the entire time I was there there was a lineup for the 2 SC. There's a few coffee places and a Walmart nearby.

Cornwall - this isn't a great location if you're travelling across the 401 as the superchargers are a good 5-7 minutes off (then 5-7 back on again) the highway. They're in a hotel parking lot and across the street from a Tim Hortons and a few shops, and a McDonalds too IIRC. The street is a busy one so maybe not one you want to drag multiple toddlers across if you're alone. If you're staying at the hotel the chargers are great. Otherwise skip it and plan to power on through to Kingston. I was the only car charging the entire 45 minutes I was there.

Kingston - these are well located in a discount mall parking lot next to a hotel just a minute off the highway. Not great if you're hungry but you can easily kill 30-60 minutes at the various stores. Free charging cost us $200 to charge here (when my wife and I bought a bunch of stuff at Puma and Adidas). One other tesla showed up whole I was there. Black 85D.

Port Hope - stopped here on a couple of occasions. It's well located barely off the highway...ans ammenities wise it's in a quiet part of a parking lot with Harvey's, subway, Tim Hortons and a convenience store at a gas station. Saw zero teslas there the first time and two others there the second time. Charged at 507 km/hr once when I was here which is the highest I've ever seen. This was when there were no other cars and my battery was around 30%.

Toronto tesla store - on the way there it showed 7/8 or 8/8 stalls full most of the time. When we got there one spot was open and we connected. As it was full we were sharing so charging was a bit slow. The stalls are 1a 2a 3a 4a 1b 2b 3b 4b so don't assume that 2 clear spots mean you'll have a dedicated charger... You could be sharing with someone 4 spots down. Not much around here other than the tesla store or a long walk. Stalls were rammed full most of the time with cars from all over the continent interestingly (new York, Manitoba!, Québec, Connecticut)

I was in the Oakville SC this morning. They have a pile of HPWC as well as ONE SC inside the facility for service work only. Edwin gave me a tour of the place - very impressive. The Porsche guys never gave me a tour. While I suspect both facilities are top notch, the pride from the Tesla guys certainly comes through. As for Super Charger availability, I am afraid the next one on the QEW would be Grimsby. I use it a lot when I go to Niagara Falls or Fort Erie. It is closely situated off the highway. There is a boutique hotel, a Tim Hortons and some other restaurant nearby. The chargers are well maintained and should pump out about 90 - 110 kW to get you on your way quickly.

I would love to get an SC placed at the QEW/403/Ford Drive area as well as one around the 401/407 junction.

You would think the Canadian government EV initiative (paid by tax dollars) should include the funding of Tesla Super Chargers. I assume they want to fund generic chargers but if we don't ask, we won't be considered.

Cornwall - this isn't a great location if you're travelling across the 401 as the superchargers are a good 5-7 minutes off (then 5-7 back on again) the highway. They're in a hotel parking lot and across the street from a Tim Hortons and a few shops, and a McDonalds too IIRC. The street is a busy one so maybe not one you want to drag multiple toddlers across if you're alone. If you're staying at the hotel the chargers are great. Otherwise skip it and plan to power on through to Kingston. I was the only car charging the entire 45 minutes I was there.
I agree that Cornwall is a terrible location (both too far from the highway and not convenient with regards to amenities). We actually walked up to the StarBucks a few blocks up last March after a big snow storm, so the sidewalks had large banks of snow.

However, we found we couldn't skip this SuperCharger because we try to avoid Montreal traffic and take the bypass. That means Drummondville to Cornwall is really tight in the winter in a P90D with a tray hitch carrying snowboards.

Kingston - these are well located in a discount mall parking lot next to a hotel just a minute off the highway. Not great if you're hungry but you can easily kill 30-60 minutes at the various stores. Free charging cost us $200 to charge here (when my wife and I bought a bunch of stuff at Puma and Adidas). One other tesla showed up whole I was there. Black 85D.
If you walk across the street (at traffic lights), there is a Panera Bread on the corner (and more shops). We usually stop here for a long while (almost an hour) while we have dinner.

Last edited: