Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Tariff (what are you paying)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus Intelligent beta. It's incredible, frankly. I will cry when it goes.

15.33p peak
5p off-peak, guaranteed 6 hours but also extra slots if Octopus schedules charges outside the 23:30-05:30 window.
Are you using the Octopus app? I've tried it on 3 different occasions and it never lets the car go to sleep, so I end up losing huge amounts of battery because it just sits on the driveway, not sleeping.

I use the ev.energy app and it's flawless (but doesn't give the extra slots above the 6 hours).

• Informative
Reactions: mikeyg_ev
British Gas at the moment, 17p kw/h. The price is going up to 25p kw/h next month with them. Did try looking at their EV tarifs, but they just didn't seem worth it for us as it'd be 35p kw/h peak times with 15p kw/h off. Barely driving anywhere lately so the bulk of our usage is at peak times with us working from home. On the off chance I do make it into work then I'll be able to charge there for free.

Doesn't seem possible to switch to anyone else at the moment. Nothing on USwitch, and Octopus won't even give a quote.

I was on Octopus Go from October 2020 at 13.8p peak and 5p off peak. However I moved house in September to just next door and switched to Go at the new address and now I am paying 24.8p peak rate which is bordering on not being viable just to get the 4 hours at 5p for charging. Trying to make the most of it by shifting tumble dryer and dishwasher usage to the cheap rate but my energy bills are now eye watering - especially with two of us working from home all day.

EDF fixed price after my old supplier went bust.

day 24.24
night 9.24 (7 hours)
standing charge cant recall but 20 pence or thereabouts

Its fixed for 3 years, by which time things may have settled down a bit.

they do an EV tariff burp the the day rate is crazy

Reactions: gangzoom
I was on Octopus Go from October 2020 at 13.8p peak and 5p off peak. However I moved house in September to just next door and switched to Go at the new address and now I am paying 24.8p peak rate which is bordering on not being viable just to get the 4 hours at 5p for charging. Trying to make the most of it by shifting tumble dryer and dishwasher usage to the cheap rate but my energy bills are now eye watering - especially with two of us working from home all day.
Try getting them to move you to Go Faster which allows you to choose the slot we have 20:30 - 00:30 which is very convenient for Dishwasher etc.

Are you using the Octopus app? I've tried it on 3 different occasions and it never lets the car go to sleep, so I end up losing huge amounts of battery because it just sits on the driveway, not sleeping.
Yes, I've got the same issue with it. I've found an an easy workaround for me - I just put the app in Holiday Mode when I unplug. Car sleeps immediately.

Reactions: rotor2k
Octopus Intelligent beta. It's incredible, frankly. I will cry when it goes.

15.33p peak
5p off-peak, guaranteed 6 hours but also extra slots if Octopus schedules charges outside the 23:30-05:30 window.
Would love to hear more about Octopus Intelligent Beta, a quick review maybe?

I got offered it but can't see how it's better than Go Faster 2030, where I can shift much of my household usage into this time, but can't as much by 2330.

And if you don't need 6 hours a day and don't want car awake constantly...

Was with symbio, they went bust, lum ered with Eon on a nextflex, unable to change it right now or change provider.
Standard daily rate of 24.38 and 20.14per kwh
My bills have basically doubled. I've stopped charging the car at home now and use "extended supermarket visits"

I’m on a 24 month fixed with Octopus with 23.75p day / 18.5p kWh

Looked at switching to Go with them which increased the day time rate to 23.75p kWh but with working from home and I don’t do massive mileage it doesn’t work out beneficial for me, I’m just going to keep an eye on it for now, I’m fixed to mid 2023 at least!

Why can’t you install a smart meter in your postcode area?
cos the RAF won't let anyone cos it apparently interferes with their signals. Took me months of emails/phone calls to get an official answer as to why. I was promised by Octopus that new meters with new tech would be ready June 2021 to get around this limitation, but that came and went and nothing.#

At least the fact that we have a powerwall means we can live off our night rate all day as well.

I use the ev.energy app and it's flawless (but doesn't give the extra slots above the 6 hours).
You may be being caught out by having more than one service having access to your car’s api. There’s no way to tell a car to sleep via the api, every service just leaves the car alone for 15 mins and hopes for the best. Those 15 minutes will probably never be in sync with multiple services so your car ends up never being left to sleep.

Would love to hear more about Octopus Intelligent Beta, a quick review maybe?

I got offered it but can't see how it's better than Go Faster 2030, where I can shift much of my household usage into this time, but can't as much by 2330.

And if you don't need 6 hours a day and don't want car awake constantly...
Guaranteed 23:30-05:30 @ 5p/kWh.
Octopus controls when your car charges, via the Tesla api. You set a SoC target % and a time of day when it needs to hit that %

Any time between 17:00 and 11:00 the next morning could also be 5p if your car needs charging. While the car is charging, the whole-house usage is also 5p

Depending on your current peak rate though, you may still be better off staying on your current tariff, at least until that expires, as the peak rate for new joiners will be high

Last edited:
Our go tariff expired on the 16th of October. We've always had a £50 direct debit which we then settled the remainder of the balance when we got the bill. Our bills were on average £85 a month but we only got charged £51 for the October period on the 16th of October (for 16 days) instead of the usual bill at the beginning of each month. We've had no bills since and the account has been in credit since the last direct debit on the 29th of November.

The tariff rates shown on the account have remained the same until today but have now disappeared saying "unit rates not available yet. We normally get these around 4pm today. Please try again in the afternoon." But ive never noticed this message before.

To conclude. We are waiting for a partial bill for the remainder of October, full bill for November and what will now be a full bill for December presumably at the old rates since we have not been told otherwise but then again maybe not! Either way Im expecting a £200+ for the next bill

Dont know if this relates to anyone else here but its where we are at.

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone! :D

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
You may be being caught out by having more than one service having access to your car’s api. There’s no way to tell a car to sleep via the api, every service just leaves the car alone for 15 mins and hopes for the best. Those 15 minutes will probably never be in sync with multiple services so your car ends up never being left to sleep.
It's because Octopus aren't using the "Streaming" API, which admittedly is a not-well defined thing. But TeslaMate uses it, and so does Ev.Energy (switching to the normal API when it's time to tell the car to wake up/start charging/stop charging). The streaming API is read-only and unable to interact with the car, so using it has no effect in terms of waking/sleeping/stopping from sleeping/etc.

I reset my Tesla password and only allowed access to the IntelliOctopus app, and it still kept the car permanently awake on my driveway. Once I disabled IntelliOctopus, the problem went away. I reproduced this multiple times through one or two app updates, and have sent extensive feedback to the developers, no change so far. The devs never acknowledged any of my suggestions, so I'll leave it with them. For now the Ev.Energy app works flawlessly, although it doesn't have the benefit of going beyond 6 hours @ 5p, but I've never needed that so far, so I'm happy with it.

EDF fixed price after my old supplier went bust.

day 24.24
night 9.24 (7 hours)
standing charge cant recall but 20 pence or thereabouts

Its fixed for 3 years, by which time things may have settled down a bit.

they do an EV tariff burp the the day rate is crazy

You did well there, here is EDFs latest fixed quotes...

50p/kWh day time electricity rate, 12p/kWh gas!!(current government cap is 4p/kWh).

If these prices are here to stay next Xmas we will have an energy bill of £850 versus the current £290.

50p/kWh = 20p per mile in our X, roughly the same cost as my old BMW 335i for fuel.

Unless the government intervenes in a massive way these are the costs coming to everyone.

51780425391_22e26f922c_c_d.jpg