Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Tariff (what are you paying)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am with Octopus. I've been with them at least 5 years. I haven't looked at what Tariff I'm on since I joined them, I had a smart meter installed last week and can now see EVERYTHING and I see I'm on 16.09 per kwh . . . . . . . what you on and who with?

I am with Octopus. I've been with them at least 5 years. I haven't looked at what Tariff I'm on since I joined them, I had a smart meter installed last week and can now see EVERYTHING and I see I'm on 16.09 per kwh . . . . . . . what you on and who with?
I don't quite understand this - I've been on Octopus for a few years and I was always taught to never stay on whatever the 'default' tariff, is. Yet as a result I'm paying more (19.90p) than everyone I know who is on Octopus who signed up and never touched their tariff again

I'm on GO. 13.3p daytime, 5p 00.30-04.30. The daytime price fixed until next October. It's much higher than that now (25p ish), but if you can make the cheap period work for you, its probably worth it. If you want to move to GO or any other tariff with them, you can call them up and they'll switch you over at midnight.

Reactions: PITA
Octopus Go, 4 hours at 5p and 13.8p for the rest. Good until June 2022.

You will certainly find that you won't find a better deal than the one you have, and we will all end up paying more when our current deal expires. Look on your Octopus bill to see when that will be.

Reactions: PITA
There are three kinds of people right now. Those not on a good tariff, those soon not to be on a good tariff and those with solar/battery.
Given that no one can use this info to their own advantage anymore what is the purpose of this thread?
Is it just here to make the battery-Solar brigade feel smug? or have I missed something?

• Disagree
Reactions: PITA and JonB
I don't quite understand this - I've been on Octopus for a few years and I was always taught to never stay on whatever the 'default' tariff, is. Yet as a result I'm paying more (19.90p) than everyone I know who is on Octopus who signed up and never touched their tariff again
True historically but you have to move to the right tariff. From what I have seen Go and Agile were the only Octopus tariffs that were any good. Their standard and other tariffs have always looked decidedly average. So unless you wanted to be on Go/Agile I'm not sure why you are with Octopus at all TBH?

I have a dumb smart meter (no WAN connectivity in my area), so dont have access to a funky off peak plan. My OVO energy fixed plan runs out in Jan 2022 and so will be moving on to their SVR until nearer the next energy price cap review (April 2022). All the fixed deals are horrendous at the moment when I looked online:eek:

I’m on Go with solar and batteries 14.12p & 5p
I only use 4KW of peak electric per month so whatever rate it ends up at doesn’t really bother me.
a drastic change to the 5p rate would hurt in winter.
though I have noticed that where kWh rates have .gone up, standing charges seem to have reduced slightly.
In summer, £7.50 of my £10/month bill is standing charge.
with £25K’s worth of of solar and batteries, I’m happy rather than smug. I reserve smug for when my dinner is cooking and my TV and internet works during a power cut!

Reactions: pow216 and PITA
Scottish Power, can't remember the Tarif Name, but it is 15.6p/kwh, inc daily charge.
It runs until the end of March 2022 when I'll be looking long and hard at the Octopus EV rate as I expect a significant increase, also it seems that Scottish Power also have one.

So, I'm on a flat 16.02p/kWh at the moment fixed until next November. Looking at Octopus, I can move to 24.14p/kWh tariff and get cheap electricity during the night to recharge. Is there a calculator around that can take my current rate, proposed rate, and then work out how many miles a day I need to do before it's worthwhile switching?