Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms metal snake supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It even says on the website when your configuring a vehicle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.51.47.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.51.47.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: T-Will
I wonder if all existing cars will be compatible with this technology and if the automatic connection superchargers will be reserved for AP 2.0 cars

Probably all cars can be hooked up automatically. (They can all pop the charge port open.) Older cars can't close the charger port door themselves so the person would have to get out and close the door before they could leave.

Am I the only one who sees this and thinks "Alien probe"? ;)

In an interview Elon did say he would attempt to make it less creepy. But he should have at least one active just like the one in the video for Halloween fun.

Through happy coincidence (hadn't planned on paying for it) I ended up with the premium package on my Model X with the bio defense air filtration mode. This is jokingly supposed to protect Tesla owners in a post apocalyptic world. I started to think, though, in a post apocalyptic world I would need to stay in the car and stay charged. This means automated chargers connected to energy storage filled every day by the sun. Makes me wonder how much Elon was joking and how much he really thinks this way...

Reactions: ggnykk
Probably all cars can be hooked up automatically. (They can all pop the charge port open.) Older cars can't close the charger port door themselves so the person would have to get out and close the door before they could leave.

It wouldn't be difficult to design a little arm with a roller on the end of the charger probe to close the port door after charging.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder how much this robotic arm feature adds to the cost of a Supercharger site, and whether it will affect the pace of S/C installations. (We'll likely never know, of course! Just speculating...)

I think the cost of these (since they've already spent the R&D to develop) will be pretty lowed compared to the infrastructure cost to install superchargers themselves.

Speaking from repeated experience, you can drive away from a Supercharger with an open charge port without any difficulty. The instrument panel even displays a proud "atta-boy" graphic when you do so!

Does anybody besides me think this thing is ridiculously over complicated? You don't need to have that many parts to achieve 3 axis movement. I mean, there are soda machines that do it now. They have a mechanism the moves up/down, left/right, and the arm reaches in for a bottle. Replace bottle retriever with charge cable and you're done.
You have no future as a Tesla design engineer -- none! ;)