Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon confirms NO FSD transfer will be offered :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOA is all but useless for me.

NoA has gotten a lot better in the last two months, especially with the newest 2020.48.35(?) update. I use it routinely nowadays.

All this talk about fsd being overpriced and whatnot is silly because Tesla provides the best driver assistance system. BMW and Mercedes will charge you $5k plus for their crappy systems with less capabilities and with no transfer.

When we bought fsd, it was assumed it was tied to the car, just like every other OEM.

All of us hoping for even a 1 time transfer of our FSD software to a new vehicle... well.. according to Elon himself during the q4 earning call. Not gonna happen.
With Elon, I've to say, never say never. I can see some kind of limited deal at the end of the quarter that would allow it. Or give a discount on FSD for the new car.

Keep up the pressure. Elon responds to pressure (on social media).

Reactions: Fuddinator
NoA has gotten a lot better in the last two months, especially with the newest 2020.48.35(?) update. I use it routinely nowadays.

All this talk about fsd being overpriced and whatnot is silly because Tesla provides the best driver assistance system. BMW and Mercedes will charge you $5k plus for their crappy systems with less capabilities and with no transfer.

When we bought fsd, it was assumed it was tied to the car, just like every other OEM.

However, with every other OEM you actually get what you paid for. If Tesla actually delivers what I paid for while my car still has a useful lifespan, it'll be one thing… but they won't, so it's another.

However, with every other OEM you actually get what you paid for. If Tesla actually delivers what I paid for while my car still has a useful lifespan, it'll be one thing… but they won't, so it's another.

That's true. But again, even at $10K, the fsd package has more features, works better, and works in more situations and areas than any other OEM. Plus, you get the added benefit of getting the FSD (beta / release) one day. It's obviously not "worth it" for everyone, but it's pretty common knowledge at this point what you're paying for.

That's true. But again, even at $10K, the fsd package has more features, works better, and works in more situations and areas than any other OEM. Plus, you get the added benefit of getting the FSD (beta / release) one day. It's obviously not "worth it" for everyone, but it's pretty common knowledge at this point what you're paying for.

Perhaps so, but the ongoing misleading on some things and outright lying on others means I'm not going to reward them by handing them more money.

Perhaps so, but the ongoing misleading on some things and outright lying on others means I'm not going to reward them by handing them more money.

Yup, we vote with our money. I'm just pointing out that $10K (or many people paid a lot less) is not much compared to other offerings with less features, less future potential, no OTA updates, no constant improvement, etc.

I have to be honest. I think it’s a dick move not to offer at least one free FSD transfer. Especially because there are plenty of people who purchased a Tesla and FSD and then upgraded their Tesla to a new one without ever getting any real FSD features. I know that was their decision mostly unless someone’s car got totalled etc.and had no choice in having to upgrade their car. It literally would cost Tesla nothing but would go a long way towards fostering brand loyalty and the good graces of their customers. It’s just the flip of a switch and I know there is value in the flipping of that switch but I still think it’s wrong. FSD really should stay with the account or the person, not the vehicle. Imagine if every time you upgraded your iPhone you had to repurchase all your software and apps. I think it’s a bad move on Elon’s part and would certainly make me think twice about paying for FSD a second time if I wanted or needed to get a new Tesla at some point. Even one transfer per account would be a nice gesture and compromise. I know he stated that FSD would be better valued at trade-in but who knows what that actually means. Bad Elon! Bad!

Imagine if every time you upgraded your iPhone you had to repurchase all your software and apps.

Can someone point me to the time where Tesla promised this sort of thing for FSD? Either on the order page or otherwise?

I don't agree that buying apps on your iphone is akin to fsd, at least not as a historical precedent.

I had no expectation that there would be any transfer.
I'd always planned on keeping this car until its wheels fall off anyway.
What I find more restricting is the ever increasing cost of FSD.
Any new Tesla has to be a massive upgrade to get me to trade what I have.
Just adding a few tweaks here and there isn't enough.
I got my 3 as soon as I could, but really wanted the white seats/dual motor of the later releases etc.
Glad I didn't wait, but my Cybertruck reservation is going to waiting until my ideal config is available - almost certainly without FSD.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Can someone point me to the time where Tesla promised this sort of thing for FSD? Either on the order page or otherwise?

I don't agree that buying apps on your iphone is akin to fsd, at least not as a historical precedent.

At some point in Q3 Elon was asked about the possibility of transfer of FSD and he said it was under consideration. The first we heard that the possibility was off the table was yesterday. I bought it and am fine but I still can think it’s a bad decision for encouraging Tesla brand loyalty. I know I would be hesitant to pay $10,000 again for FSD unless my trade in value of my current FSD was fair. I don’t think I’m in the minority there. Isn’t it more valuable to keep people buying Tesla cars and letting people roll over FSD at least once?

I know I would be hesitant to pay $10,000 again for FSD unless my trade in value of my current FSD was fair.

$10K for FSD is steep for sure. Most people would be happy with basic AP. However, I did mention the benefits of FSD and how its price isn't outrageous in comparison to what's being offered by other companies.

I used to (like a month ago) think that the FSD package wasn't worth it, but my opinion is slowly changing by the week. That's the power of constant improvement. I find the green light chime and NoA increasingly convenient and useful. With NoA, I can pay less attention to which lane I need to be in, how to get somewhere (on the highway) and more attention to my surroundings. In most cases, NoA changes lanes as smoothly and confidently as I do. I'm hoping by this time next year, the car can drive me all the way to the destination and park for me.

At some point in Q3 Elon was asked about the possibility of transfer of FSD and he said it was under consideration. The first we heard that the possibility was off the table was yesterday. I bought it and am fine but I still can think it’s a bad decision for encouraging Tesla brand loyalty. I know I would be hesitant to pay $10,000 again for FSD unless my trade in value of my current FSD was fair. I don’t think I’m in the minority there. Isn’t it more valuable to keep people buying Tesla cars and letting people roll over FSD at least once?

I think nothing is off the table ever. Realistically, if they offer an FSD subscription, then either (a) it will be so expensive no-one will touch it, or (b) it will be reasonably priced and if they dont do something for FSD up-front buyers they will leave such a bad taste in peoples mouths they will have a serious brand loyalty issue.

Possibilities seem to me:
1. Refund some percentage of FSD purchase to earlier buyers (highly unlikely).
2. Allow transfer of FSD (perhaps some limit on number of times).
3. Switch totally to a subscription model for all but give 3-5 years free to FSD up-front purchasers (my bet is on some variant of this).

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
My 2 cents - I think FSD transfers should stay with owner’s account - like a license key, deactivate on one computer to be able to activate on another. Limits on frequency imposed to avoid abuse. If I had to guess, they have legal / accounting concerns with making it transferable, but I think it’s most certainly the equitable path forward.

If Tesla are so sure that this robotaxi thing is coming, there'd be a fun thing they could do:

Offer to let people transfer, but only for non-revenue use. No "Tesla Network" robotaxi functionality allowed, or for Uber, etc.

But I suspect they know as well as we do that this doesn't matter because not a single Tesla on the road today will still be new enough and in good enough condition to meet Uber's standards for an UberX by the time true hands-off eyes-off operation happens, let alone Tesla's likely higher standards for their own network.

Except for the Auto lane change, everything else in FSD is useless to me. I have used and tried NoA since its release on my FSD/AP2 MS and now MY (no FSD but current free trial) and to this date, it has never worked as a human driver in rush hour on my daily commute. I bet those who claim it works great are using it in none to minimal traffic.

There is an on-ramp/off-ramp/on-ramp section on my daily commute with a 70 mph speed limit but most are driving at 75/80+ mph. Rather than gradually slowing down prior to taking an exit, NoA still zooms out at 70 mph and suddenly drops to 30 mph, and try to merge on to another highway with the same speed, so it's a complete disaster during rush hour. Even the current traffic light feature car brakes too late and it is just not like a human driver.

Honestly, I used to think above behaviour was due to old hardware on my 2016 AP2. I just do not see any point of FSD purchase and basic AP is all I need. Tesla should sale FSD features a la carte.

Except for the Auto lane change, everything else in FSD is useless to me. I have used and tried NoA since its release on my FSD/AP2 MS and now MY (no FSD but current free trial) and to this date, it has never worked as a human driver in rush hour on my daily commute. I bet those who claim it works great are using it in none to minimal traffic.

Oh, god, it's useless on my commute. Completely so. I use for it for longer freeway drives.

I think nothing is off the table ever. Realistically, if they offer an FSD subscription, then either (a) it will be so expensive no-one will touch it, or (b) it will be reasonably priced and if they dont do something for FSD up-front buyers they will leave such a bad taste in peoples mouths they will have a serious brand loyalty issue.

Possibilities seem to me:
1. Refund some percentage of FSD purchase to earlier buyers (highly unlikely).
2. Allow transfer of FSD (perhaps some limit on number of times).
3. Switch totally to a subscription model for all but give 3-5 years free to FSD up-front purchasers (my bet is on some variant of this).

4. Pay a "transfer" fee to trsnsfer FSD to new car purchase.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and tkizzy