Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Video ?

Looks like you have some faulty equipment …

So many of us drive on unmarked roads all the time without such issues.

BTW, this is the reason this is still Early Access FSD Beta.

Not sure why some people expect EA Beta (a.k.a. alpha) to behave like a production version.
Google Maps

Ok - here's a video with a couple clips from this afternoon. It actually did a bit better this time. Not sure if it was because I was going the opposite direction? Either way you get the idea.

Like I said before, I routinely use it on unmarked residential streets in my neighborhood and it does fine. There's an 's' curve entering my neighborhood that the car would routinely try to straighten out and cross over to the wrong side and that's actually significantly improved with 10.2 so I'm not sure why it has so much trouble with this road. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the road is fairly narrow with no shoulder, but it should still know it's a 2 lane road and stick to the right side.

Reactions: Buckminster
I forgot that you're in MN. In addition to the parkway's narrow shoulders and the curbs, there's also snow piled up. All those things combined with almost invisible centerlines lead to FSD beta to incorrectly head to the center of the roadway.

FSD beta tends to be strongly influenced by trash cans, snowbanks and other objects that jut out into the shoulder. A human driver would usually continue in the center of the lane but FSD beta tends to be conservative and swerves to avoid them.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
dirty camera lens

Ok - here's a video with a couple clips from this afternoon. It actually did a bit better this time. Not sure if it was because I was going the opposite direction? Either way you get the idea.

Like I said before, I routinely use it on unmarked residential streets in my neighborhood and it does fine. There's an 's' curve entering my neighborhood that the car would routinely try to straighten out and cross over to the wrong side and that's actually significantly improved with 10.2 so I'm not sure why it has so much trouble with this road. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the road is fairly narrow with no shoulder, but it should still know it's a 2 lane road and stick to the right side.
I drive on narrower roads without a center lane all the time and FSD goes into the other lane frequently. Seems to happen more when going uphill with turns. Super unsafe and I take over alot especially when approaching blind corners.

Google Maps

Looks like it can't see the center yellow line at times - so drives in the middle, assuming it is an unmarked road. When it sees another vehicle coming FSD goes to the right, as you would expect in unmarked roads.

Could be a combination of ice/snow, wet road + reflection of the Sun.

Happens to me here too - but usually with the side markings. When the Sun is low and the road wet, you can't see the side markings. We drive by memory ... will post the snapshots when I find the video.

Last edited:
Looks like it can't see the center yellow line at times - so drives in the middle, assuming it is an unmarked road. When it sees another vehicle coming FSD goes to the right, as you would expect in unmarked roads.

Could be a combination of ice/snow, wet road + reflection of the Sun.

Happens to me here too - but usually with the side markings. When the Sun is low and the road wet, you can't see the side markings. We drive by memory ... will post the snapshots when I find the video.
there's a significant part of the road where the is no line, but where there was a line it clearly showed up on the display so the car was a seeing it and it still drove on the wrong side. Even in the areas that had no line, it would be closer to the left curb than the right. 🤷‍♂️

My biggest concern was that it didn't consistently get out of the way for oncoming cars - if you're on a 2 lane road and a car's coming, you should know enough to get over to the right side. Hopefully V11 will do better.

There's an 's' curve entering my neighborhood that the car would routinely try to straighten out and cross over to the wrong side and that's actually significantly improved with 10.2 so I'm not sure why it has so much trouble with this road. The only thing I can think of is that it's because the road is fairly narrow with no shoulder, but it should still know it's a 2 lane road and stick to the right side.
I would say the snow was a very significant factor here. You should retest if/when the snow clears (yeah, I know, that might be a long wait).

Reactions: EVNow