Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I have a feeling Elon's space ambitions are more likely to become reality than Trumps?

There's no doubt about it. Trump doesn't really have any ambitions when it comes to space. He just wants NASA to do something under his administration. He recreated "The Space Council" by directive and there has been one meeting in front of the press. You had a lot of major players come together and tell Pence and his people what they were doing and what they would like to do. You had a bunch of companies say they were willing to do whatever the government wanted as long as the government paid for it.

If this directive just redirects SLS and Orion toward the Moon instead of Mars then it will mean exactly nothing. If some funds are given to SpaceX to actually achieve something then it will mean a great deal and speed up SpaceX in their goals. Personally, I'm not holding my breath that anything will happen but there is a chance. Directing SpaceX toward the Moon instead of Mars under a government contract would likely allow SpaceX to build BFR that much faster. BFR is fully reusable. If it is used for a few Moon missions, it can still be used for a Mars mission afterwards. That's a big win for SpaceX. So of course Elon supports Moon missions.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
There's no doubt about it. Trump doesn't really have any ambitions when it comes to space. He just wants NASA to do something under his administration. He recreated "The Space Council" by directive and there has been one meeting in front of the press. You had a lot of major players come together and tell Pence and his people what they were doing and what they would like to do. You had a bunch of companies say they were willing to do whatever the government wanted as long as the government paid for it.

If this directive just redirects SLS and Orion toward the Moon instead of Mars then it will mean exactly nothing. If some funds are given to SpaceX to actually achieve something then it will mean a great deal and speed up SpaceX in their goals. Personally, I'm not holding my breath that anything will happen but there is a chance. Directing SpaceX toward the Moon instead of Mars under a government contract would likely allow SpaceX to build BFR that much faster. BFR is fully reusable. If it is used for a few Moon missions, it can still be used for a Mars mission afterwards. That's a big win for SpaceX. So of course Elon supports Moon missions.
The point of Trump's directive is that it takes money from NASA's fixed (actually declining) budget and redirects it toward space exploration and SLS. Where does that money come from? Earth Science, that is, climate change research.

Apparently it was a joke:

Twitter

Musk Misfires Twitter Message With Cell Number to Oculus CTO

Quote:

A call placed to the number that Musk tweeted on Tuesday went to voicemail and played a message from the video game God of War. “By the Gods you’ve done it,” the message intones. “Somehow you’ve found your way here to me. I offer you my congratulations and my respect.”

End quote.

• Funny
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
Elon Musk 6th place ! Donald Trump 11th !

Elon Musk appears in the latest (Dec 27 release) Gallup poll as the 6th Most Admired Man in America.

Meanwhile, the current occupant of 1100 Pennsylvania Ave couldn't get better than 11th from the bottom.

:rolleyes:

Source: Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton Retain Most Admired Titles

Do you always have to write negative posts? And hijack threads with political opinions? This thread is about Elon. Go post in the Trump thread.

Reactions: Drumheller and Ulmo
I am pretty sure I never have written a negative post in TMC, although I freely admit my brand of humor neither is to everyone's taste nor is it even always recognized. Perhaps I should just place my record against that of another who joined at effectively the same time (btw, a very large fraction of the down-votes in my record were a function of a poll I created; "Up" and "Down" were two of the choices).
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 3.55.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 3.57.27 PM.png

Attacking a fellow TMC member isn’t negative? That’s two negative and non thread relvant posts recently. I suggest any follow ups to this go into a new thread called ‘AudubonB measures his d*ck against Cosmacelf’ and goes into the off topic category. That’s my humor, Btw.

Please let me or any other Moderator know if some member has been attacking another and it should be taken care of.

For equal opportunity abuse, and to correct a wrong address, I thought I'd bring all up to speed and reveal that

"The best that the current and the former occupants of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. couldn't manage any better than 12th and 11th from the bottom"

Reactions: MitchMitch
The point of Trump's directive is that it takes money from NASA's fixed (actually declining) budget and redirects it toward space exploration and SLS. Where does that money come from? Earth Science, that is, climate change research.
Sending people to he moon is a total waste of time and money. Frankly I have the same opinion of sending them to Mars. Learning more about planets etc through robotics/probes/telescopes is way more efficient from both a cost and performance perspective. I admire Elon for his efforts to leave the carbon based energy economy but these 'humans in space' projects are just vanity projects for billionaires.

• Disagree
Reactions: zmarty
Status
Not open for further replies.