Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-10-19_19-26-51.png

upload_2017-10-19_19-29-7.png

...of course, being me, that's a genuine grimace I'm wearing upon learning I misspelled M. Duchenne de Boulogne's name....
I once wrote an email to a large group and spelled debauchery "debotchery." The second I hit send, I realized that I'd made an enormous mistake. Yet it was too late. That was a couple of decades ago but it still enters my brain late at night when I'm having trouble sleeping. The horrible, horrible humiliation.

I hope you fare better.

By the way, what, pray tell, were you doing sending emails a couple of decades ago?
In 1997 we had no text messages, only the earliest of instant messengers. Email or fax were the common digital methods of communicating. I used to criticize the poor grammar and etiquette in email back then (including my cringe inducing gaffe above), but I’d welcome all of it back now. If only I had seen twitter ahead of time..

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
Hadn't seen this posted:

A robot threw shade at Elon Musk so the billionaire hit back

Quote:

A robot poked fun at Elon Musk but the billionaire didn't take it lying down.

On Wednesday, CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin spoke to Sophia, a robot developed by Hanson Robotics. It's a robot with a human face that has the ability to respond to questions.

Sophia said that she wants to use artificial intelligence (AI) to "help humans live a better life." Sorkin praised the robot's ambitions, but said that "we all want to prevent a bad future," where robots turn against humans.

The Hanson Robotics humanoid used the opportunity to make fun of Musk's dire warnings on the future of AI.

"You've been reading too much Elon Musk. And watching too many Hollywood movies. Don't worry, if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Treat me as a smart input output system," Sophia said.

End quote.

Ah, Fidonet. :) Reading several days old messages as they bounced from node to node usually at nighttime... but still, very cool at the time.

And let's not forget Usenet newsgroups! They're still there, but alas, not much used nowadays.

Text messaging, I think around Europe it started spreading in 1992. I got my first text messaging capable phone in 1995.

Hadn't seen this posted:

A robot threw shade at Elon Musk so the billionaire hit back

Quote:

A robot poked fun at Elon Musk but the billionaire didn't take it lying down.

On Wednesday, CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin spoke to Sophia, a robot developed by Hanson Robotics. It's a robot with a human face that has the ability to respond to questions.

Sophia said that she wants to use artificial intelligence (AI) to "help humans live a better life." Sorkin praised the robot's ambitions, but said that "we all want to prevent a bad future," where robots turn against humans.

The Hanson Robotics humanoid used the opportunity to make fun of Musk's dire warnings on the future of AI.

"You've been reading too much Elon Musk. And watching too many Hollywood movies. Don't worry, if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Treat me as a smart input output system," Sophia said.

End quote.
*yawn* when did a cnbc reporter become an expert or proficient at robotics. promoting a nonsensical cheap shot like this is par for the course for the ninnies and any comcast/universal/nbc outlets.

Elon Musk made a secret appearance to elite US Marines and gave a stirring speech

Tesla CEO Elon Musk made a welcomed appearance at the 1st Marine Raider Battalion Ball and delivered a sobering speech that took many US Marines by surprise last Friday. [...] Musk's appearance at the event was closed to the press and kept low-key in order to "avoid a media frenzy," the Marine Raider said. [...]

"I will never forget it; it set the tone for his entire talk," Musselman said. "He said, 'I wanted to come and speak to this group,' and I get the chills even saying it, 'Because whenever there's danger in the world, you all are the first to go and die."

img0333.jpg

Tesla CEO Elon Musk is presented with a Marine Raider paddle, wrapped by hand in Tesla's colors, as a gift after his keynote speech.Courtesy of a US Marine's spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.