Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I tried the nice way (three times), which clearly was unsuccessful. While I don't directly moderate this section, I have sitewide ban permissions.

Any posts after this message that continue the off-topic political discussion will earn the poster a 7 day temporary ban.

Thanks for your understanding, and sorry to be this way, but I see zero productivity from this particular line of conversation.

A very nice Dave Lyon's interview on what kind of person Elon is. The interviewers look for blood, but only find intelligence and strength in Dave Lyons experience and opinion of Musk:

Trying to drag this back on track...

I found this interesting, an insight into Elon's approach to the world.

Tesla’s Master Plan is a reasoned response to climate change — sustainable transportation and renewable energy represent mankind’s best opportunity to heal Earth’s environment. Elon Musk has done more to advance these solutions than anyone.
Elon is being viciously attacked by those vested in the fossil fuel economy. A fight just beginning, now is the time for supporters to stand behind the science, stand behind Tesla and stand behind Elon Musk.

Elon Musk Smokes Weed On Joe Rogan Podcast.
17D6AA25-9C20-49E1-8C11-54C8A2E7493C.jpeg

Elon's antics are really disappointing me of late. For a long time, to a lot of people, he was representing the ideal of what a brilliant, motivated, slightly idealistic engineer could be, and could do.

Perhaps it was unfair of us to put that upon him. And perhaps it all became too much for him. Or maybe the notoriety and fortune have led to a slightly out of control rebellious phase. Who knows? Maybe he's decided that he IS Tony Stark, the good and the bad.

In any case, I confess that all of this has definitely taken the luster off of my enthusiasm for what he and the companies he represents have been doing. I doubt I'll ever go to a non-EV again, but it would be much easier than it would been to buy a Porsche EV, or an Audi.

:(

Elon's antics are really disappointing me of late. For a long time, to a lot of people, he was representing the ideal of what a brilliant, motivated, slightly idealistic engineer could be, and could do.

Perhaps it was unfair of us to put that upon him. And perhaps it all became too much for him. Or maybe the notoriety and fortune have led to a slightly out of control rebellious phase. Who knows? Maybe he's decided that he IS Tony Stark, the good and the bad.

In any case, I confess that all of this has definitely taken the luster off of my enthusiasm for what he and the companies he represents have been doing. I doubt I'll ever go to a non-EV again, but it would be much easier than it would been to buy a Porsche EV, or an Audi.

:(

Did you actually watch the interview? Or just listen to the spin?

It's not just this. This is just one more incident. I really hope that he can pull it together. If not... well... history is littered with bright lights that burned out young.

I'll take that as a "No". You formed an opinion about something based on an attack in the media. Which is how this works, just one step at a time (not just this one event).

Let's recall the actual sequence of events.

• The whole sequence started out with Musk asking, "Is that a joint?" Just like your average hardcore pothead who doesn't know what a joint looks like.
  • After a reminder that it's legal in California, Musk hesitantly takes it, examines it, then takes a tiny puff, then shakes his head no.
  • Comments start filling up the Youtube thread from actual pot smokers complaining:
  • OZGUN ST-PIERRE
  • Dudeeee wtf he didn’t inhale

tg300050
    he didnt inhale

Samuel Gobrecht
    +OZGUN ST-PIERRE some people just dont like how it makes them feel

Макс Ветер
    Obviously he doesn't know how to smoke

NO T H O T S
    NOOOO ****ING WAY

Geo Hurtado
    Inhale!!!!

• Topic changes back to cars.
  • Later, topic changes back to pot. The conversation is, to quote:
    • Joe: Is that bad for you? It's legal. It's government approved.
    • Musk: I'm not a regular smoker of weed.
    • Joe: How often do you smoke it?
    • Musk: Almost never.
    • Joe: Mm.
    • Musk: I mean, I don't actually notice any effect.
    • (topic detours to Buddhist monks taking acid, before getting back on the topic of weed)
    • Musk: You know... I know a lot of people like weed... and that's fine. But I don't find that it's very good for productivity.
    • Joe: For you.
    • Musk: Not for me.
    • Joe: Yeah, I would imagine that for someone like you it's not. For someone like you, it'd be more like a cup of coffee.
    • Musk: Actually it's more like the opposite of a cup of coffee. Like a cup of coffee in reverse.
    • Joe: Weed is?
    • Musk: Yeah.
    • Joe: No, I was saying you would like more, more what would be beneficial to you would be like coffee.
    • Musk: I like to get things done, I like to be useful. That's one of the hardest things to do.
OMG, pillory him!

Last edited:
I'll take that as a "No". You formed an opinion about something based on an attack in the media. Which is how this works, just one step at a time (not just this one event).

If fact, you're correct. I'm unable to listen to the interview right now. But I'll take your word that the interview is fine. By all accounts he did a good job selling Joe on the car. But, that isn't my issue.

The image of Elon with a big doob in his mouth, splayed all over pop media, is more than enough damage for one day. Did he think that that would play out well? Did he think that every image would be carefully captioned with his comments about it being the anti-coffee? In Elon, we had an inspirational character. He was a hero to legions of wide eyed and bushy tailed STEM kids out there. Elon showed what could be done. But google Elon this morning and you get a bunch of Cheech & Chong photos.

Add that to an unending stream of antics... his well known issues with Ambien, likely other substance abuse issues, being dumb enough to engage this idiot in Thailand, "funding secured", and ongoing other drama in his personal life, the Elon show has become a mix of legend and cautionary tale. How many parents are going to want to say to their kids "this is what you can become"?

Maybe it was too much. His image was larger than life... more than what could be expected from any person.

Ah well...

Last edited:
Wait... your viewpoint is that Musk will become less relatable to the current generation of youth because he half-heartedly tried a joint and then said he doesn't like it because it makes him accomplish less?

What year do you think this is, 1958?

So you think that he recent antics (including the Cheech & Chong shot) have been good for his image? And that it's impressed his shareholders? And made him a better role model?

I'm the parent of a highly tech obsessed, wildly motivated kid, who idolized Elon. I find myself spending too much time explaining that wildly brilliant people can sometimes be unstable, and that it can be their downfall.

Like it or not, Elon set himself up as the image of his companies. A photo of him sitting in a cloud of smoke, doob in hand, like some red-eyed pothead from 1974 is not going to help in any respect. He needs to think a little harder before doing some of this stupid stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.