Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What doesn't make sense to me is that for $2.9 billion he probably could have developed a new social media platform. If he plans on pushing for dramatic changes to the content moderation policies at Twitter he may discover that they're there largely for revenue maximization and that he will be decreasing the value of his investment (as advertisers and users leave).

Last edited:
What doesn't make sense to me is that for $2.9 billion he probably could have developed a new social media platform. If he plans on pushing for dramatic changes to the content moderation policies at Twitter he may discover that they're there largely for revenue maximization and that he will be decreasing the value of his investment (as advertisers and users leave).

I thought he was going to create his own network too. He has a big chunk of followers, 80M out of 400M total users, and he’s the 8th most followed person. So, I don’t know why.

But moderation changes won’t be so dramatic nor disruptive to either users or advertisers. I doubt anyone who uses Twitter now will care much … maybe they’ll see less crypto spam (here’s hoping).

Twitter is a good public communications paradigm, but it has a weak business model and hence is a bad investment. If Elon causes more lies to be allowed on Twitter, it will be an even worse investment.

”lies”. You mean like banning talk about the Hunter Biden laptop which news outlets are finally acknowledging is real? Or about the speculation of the Wuhan virus, which you can finally now speculate that it might have come from the Wuhan lab. These are not lies, yet Twitter banned mention of them.

I have no problem with the crap that Twitter does allow people to talk about because I just don’t listen to it, which is the grown up way of handling topics you don’t agree with rather than banning it.

”lies”. You mean like banning talk about the Hunter Biden laptop which news outlets are finally acknowledging is real? Or about the speculation of the Wuhan virus, which you can finally now speculate that it might have come from the Wuhan lab. These are not lies, yet Twitter banned mention of them.

I have no problem with the crap that Twitter does allow people to talk about because I just don’t listen to it, which is the grown up way of handling topics you don’t agree with rather than banning it.
They are both lies.
You can believe what you want but they are lies.
I don't believe anything I read from Twitter.( I don't read it, just what people repost.)

This is about nothing more or less than him wanting to be able to say what he wants without backlash. He doesn't see any further than that and I'm fairly certain he couldn't care in the least about the voices of anyone else, particularly the voices of society which are historically ignored or those who call him on his crap. That one of the richest men in the world who has over 80 million followers on Twitter considers himself somehow muzzled and disadvantaged is patently ridiculous, and frankly, insulting.

Twitter has a lot of problems, but none of them will be solved by Musk's influence.

As per the WSJ, Elon has been negotiating with Twitter CEO over the past two weeks and today we find he has a board seat. Remember that Elon threaten to start a twitter competitor in the past two weeks too. My guess is that Elon now effectively controls Twitter and will be pushing for various changes. It likely won’t stop at free speech, as his latest poll suggests (edit capability).

Also, soon people will realize that twitter is the second public company that Elon controls. And Facebook is tanking…

As per the WSJ, Elon has been negotiating with Twitter CEO over the past two weeks and today we find he has a board seat. Remember that Elon threaten to start a twitter competitor in the past two weeks too. My guess is that Elon now effectively controls Twitter and will be pushing for various changes. It likely won’t stop at free speech, as his latest poll suggests (edit capability).

Also, soon people will realize that twitter is the second public company that Elon controls. And Facebook is tanking…
He was given a Board seat in exchange for him agreeing to not buy more than 14.9% of the outstanding Twitter shares. Twitter management was afraid that he would buy a controlling interest and a number of analysts believed that Elon had the bucks to do just that.

I feel a difficult to explain sense of dread over this news. I don't know what this has to do with EVs, spaceflight or digging tunnels. The best theory I can come up with is that they threatened to ban him and so he bought himself a board seat out of spite.

Because that's what a rational, well balanced adult who isn't at all suffering from mental illness would do.

I feel a difficult to explain sense of dread over this news. I don't know what this has to do with EVs, spaceflight or digging tunnels. The best theory I can come up with is that they threatened to ban him and so he bought himself a board seat out of spite.

Because that's what a rational, well balanced adult who isn't at all suffering from mental illness would do.

Oh come on! Elon is a Twitter super user who has ideas and the means on how to make it better. Unlike many people here, he is respected by accomplished people, the likes of which run Twitter, pension funds, and sit on large corporate boards. They will listen to Elon because they themselves aren’t idiots. They all know full well that social networks have a limited lifespan and all of them are in danger of going tits up any given year. If the richest self made man in the world wants to help them, they will gladly accept the help.

The Tesla CEO, who has previously referred to himself as a "free speech absolutist," has a track record of silencing critics with threats of lawsuits and firing employees who disagree with him.

Free speech doesn’t mean tolerating libel and slander.

I find it interesting that Elon is getting all sorts of shade here at TMC for getting more involved in twitter. He hasn't explicitly said what he wants to do, but his previous tweets suggest something along enhancing free speech and adding features (like maybe some form of editing). How can these be bad things?

We may get Elon's ideas of free speech. Not necessarily yours.
Far better than the current regime.

1649221011938.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.