Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

"He’s better off making cars and engineering than at predicting the trajectory of the population", oh really, let's see: "Globally, the fertility rate has not “collapsed,” nor should it, according to the UN, but it has dropped significantly.", I can't make this up, guys it's not "collapsed", it's just "dropped significantly" :D:D:D

"In 2020, the global population growth rate fell under 1% for the first time since 1950." and "Between July of 2020 and 2021, the growth rate of the US population was the lowest it’s been in probably 100 years he said.", yeah that's not a problem at all.... /s

Well, I think truth is important, as I know @JRP3 does. So I'll add one more fact.

Elon's family finances changed during his youth. His mother left his abusive father, and raised three kids on her own, which meant the kids largely raised each other while she was at work. By the time Elon came from South Africa, there were no private planes or emeralds in his life. He arrived in Canada with $2k, if I recall correctly.

I don't call that "coming from wealth," contrary to the claims of Robert Reich and TSLAQ.
Before attempting to correct me about "facts" you should check your facts. Actual fact: Elon went to live with his father after the divorce.

Maye Musk on Errol: "He was very rich,,," Maye Musk on Elon: "when he was 10, Elon chose to move to his father’s home."

You don't have private planes and yachts if you aren't wealthy.

Before attempting to correct me about "facts" you should check your facts. Actual fact: Elon went to live with his father after the divorce.

Maye Musk on Errol: "He was very rich,,," Maye Musk on Elon: "when he was 10, Elon chose to move to his father’s home."

Interesting.
I'd never heard of the emerald mines before Reich brought it up.
Did Errol finance Musks ventures?

Did Errol finance Musks ventures?
That seems open for debate. It seems he did provide some money for Zip2 along with other people:
In Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk, it is claimed that the Musks' father, Errol Musk, provided them with US$28,000 during this time,[6]: Ch.4  but Elon Musk later denied this.[8] He later clarified that his dad provided around 10% of US$200,000 as part of a later funding round.[12]

• Informative
Reactions: PeterJA and mspohr

It's true that I haven't read Maye Musk's book or all of Ashley Vance's biography of Elon. But I don't see yachts mentioned in the article you linked.

After Elon went to live with his father at age 10, how long did he stay there?

I've read more than one article, maybe you should too since you seem so interested in the topic but still remain misinformed.

Actually I'm not interested enough in the topic to read a lot about it, so I'm asking you to share your knowledge.

My impression from what I have read is Elon spent most of his youth with his mother and siblings. Is that incorrect?

Even those who don’t agree that US policy plays a large role in driving migration should embrace our plan. The country’s population growth rate has flatlined. Population growth between 2010 and 2020 was the second lowest in the country’s history, largely because of declining birth rates among native-born Americans. We face a crisis of “age dependency” as the number of seniors rises dramatically relative to working age adults. Demographic decline is feeding a nationwide care crisis and imperils the sustainability of programs like Medicare and social security. Immigration is a necessary solution.

It will consume far fewer resources than a human though. It will also be able to do tasks to reduce our resource use that are not currently economically viable, like sorting our recycling. I guess I meant to say that Optimus will allow us to maintain growth through improved efficiency.
Some would call it a game changer!

Reactions: mspohr

“F--- off is my very diplomatic reply to you,” Ukraine’s outgoing ambassador to Germany, Andrij Melnyk, wrote in response to Musk’s tweet. “The only outcome is that now no Ukrainian will EVER buy your f…ing tesla crap. So good luck to you.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy responded with a Twitter poll of his own.

“Which Elon Musk do you like more?” Zelenskyy asked, giving two options for an answer: “One who supports Ukraine” or “One who supports Russia.”

Status
Not open for further replies.