Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen Rosling's talks a few times, both the short and long form. He makes a good point that it will stabilize around 10 billion which is about 4-6 billion too many in my estimation. Most of the destruction is happening in the developing world where most people are too poor to eat much meat or burn much fossil fuels.
Most of the destruction is happening in the developed world where most of the fossil fuel and meat consumption takes place.

Still no solution for plastics in the environment, garbage, toxins, and various other forms of human waste which more people will only exacerbate. Fewer people living better lives seems like a more reasonable goal.

In many places in the world the rivers are open sewers dumping their waste into the oceans.

Most of the destruction is happening in the developed world where most of the fossil fuel and meat consumption takes place.

The oceans are dealing with environment collapse from over fishing and virtually all of that comes from the developing world (or people selling fish from factory trawlers to those populations).

My sister is a Geologist and I've had an amateur interest for much of my life. The Earth has been much warmer than it is now and life continues just fine when it's warmer. A lot of human cities may end up underwater, but vast stretches of Canada and Siberia will become farmable. A disaster for humans in many ways, but life would go on. Most of the non-hominids around today were here during the last warm spell which ended 2 million years ago.

Life could be set back a billion years if the oceans die. The last time that happened was the Permian Extinction
Permian–Triassic extinction event - Wikipedia

Human activity isn't even a tiny fraction of the damage done by the Siberian Traps eruptions. Hot spot volcanoes on a continental land mass usually screw up the environment in a big way. The only one in the world right now has the Rocky Mountains plugging it (Yellowstone). When that hot spot was in Oregon it messed up the world's climate.

We have knocked many ecosystems out of balance because humans needed more space and more resources. Madagascar used to be solid jungle but now it's mostly gone. One of the driving factors in deforestation in Brazil is cattle farming, but in many other areas it happened to accommodate more people and subsistence farms to keep them alive..

The oceans are dealing with environment collapse from over fishing and virtually all of that comes from the developing world (or people selling fish from factory trawlers to those populations).
The developing world doesn't run factory trawlers. They send little boats out a short distance and bring back a few fish for the locals. Factory trawlers are run by large developed countries to feed their own cities.

The developing world doesn't run factory trawlers. They send little boats out a short distance and bring back a few fish for the locals. Factory trawlers are run by large developed countries to feed their own cities.

Which is why I added: "(or people selling fish from factory trawlers to those populations)"

I can't find the original story, but in 2013 Ivan MacFadyen was ferrying a yacht from Australia to Japan, and then took another one to the US. His story was a stark picture of how bad the Pacific from the last time he had ferried a yacht in 2003. It's been close to another 10 years since that story. I found this synopsis
The Ocean Is Broken: A Sailor's Account Of His Journey To The Sea

In the Coral Sea they came across a Malaysian factory trawler.

The biggest operator of factory ships is China though
'They will be back': How China's 'dark' fleets are plundering the world's oceans

We need to move away from fossil fuels as well as develop protein sources that are more sustainable, but we can't ignore the vast masses of people in other parts of the world who are going to do anything to feed their people even if it causes severe damage to their future survival chances.

"Zilis, 36, has since told some of her colleagues that she was not involved romantically with Musk, 51, and conceived the children with him through in vitro fertilization (IVF), according to five people familiar with the situation.": This totally destroyed the narrative that Musk is some sort of sex predator.

"Zilis, 36, has since told some of her colleagues that she was not involved romantically with Musk, 51, and conceived the children with him through in vitro fertilization (IVF), according to five people familiar with the situation.": This totally destroyed the narrative that Musk is some sort of sex predator.
I wonder if there is a potential lucrative market for SpermX?

That... is somehow even worse. That sounds even more bizarre than just having an affair.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
It's just that... Usually it's done by couples where there's some medical reason that necessitates it or by women looking for top quality genes or something.

An employee does that with her boss? Does she think she can bear the electric kwizatz haderach?
God forbid she thought his genes are top quality, just because you think Elon Musk is a nobody doesn't mean everybody else thought so as well.

Reactions: mspohr
God forbid she thought his genes are top quality, just because you think Elon Musk is a nobody doesn't mean everybody else thought so as well.
LOL top quality genes. She would have been better off using Brad Pitt's sperm so the boy would have a chance of being handsome and having hair on his head past his 20's. The environment a child is brought up has as much to do with his/her intelligence as genes.

Status
Not open for further replies.