Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it would be better for Elon Musk to avoid participation altogether? Like some protest? I think that would be an immature and ineffective approach. Mr. Musk knows that his best chance to help steer this administration down a better path is to fully participate. I don't think he cares at all about public perception. He cares about making a difference. You can't do that from the sidelines or by carrying signs and whining. Trump will be able to make a significant impact until the midterm elections in 2018 and then everything will grind to a halt again until a new president is elected in 2020. At this point, there is no stopping the progress. Nearly every major auto manufacturer is gearing up to mass produce EVs. Solar is quickly becoming a much larger part of the energy mix. The House just passed a bipartisan bill to provide a regulatory framework for advanced nuclear. Fossil fuels are not the future, and Trump's attempt to bolster those industries will have a negligible impact. If everyone in this country acted more like Elon Musk and less like all the hyper polarized ideologues on both sides, we would be much better off. Sorry for the rant, but I am just so sick of the political attitude in this country. We need to grow up and learn how to disagree like adults.

Musk was under no obligation to say anything about Tillerson, but now he is on the hook.

It's not about agreement or disagreement. It's a question of Musk's political savviness and how entering the game will impact his brand. It is very difficult to claim an environmental high ground when you endorse Tillerson for a job that Musk and Tillerson know jack-*sugar* about.

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME and WarpedOne
Musk was under no obligation to say anything about Tillerson, but now he is on the hook.

It's not about agreement or disagreement. It's a question of Musk's political savviness and how entering the game will impact his brand. It is very difficult to claim an environmental high ground when you endorse Tillerson for a job that Musk and Tillerson know jack-*sugar* about.

But if he leverages his current "good graces" with the new Administration into a Carbon Tax on either all vehicles sold in the US, or just foreign-produced vehicles sold in the US, wouldn't that be a win-win for him and the stockholders he has a responsibility to?

Reactions: PAULL

really?exactly what makes you think that tillerson isn't well versed in dealing with foreign governments? and elon operates in a good many countries as well. could it be that tillerson gained a little insight while heading up one of the largest multi-national corps. in the world, do you understand that balancing the needs of exxon in many different parts of the world isn't exactly an easy task to accomplish?
I don't know where you've acquired your political/business acumen from but I'd revisit the source.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bound466 and T34ME
I do not like President Trump. However, I do not have any desire for him to fail. If you are determined to criticize everything he does because he's Donald Trump, then you are not contributing to the conversation in any meaningful way. I believe that the mass hysteria is unfounded nonsense. Progress will continue and the worst that President Trump can do is delay it a bit. Let's calm down a little and see what happens before we start labeling Elon Musk a sellout.

ugh, can we get the political stuff out of this forum?

seriously though, what else do you expect him to do? sit there and do nothing? I'm not a big fan of Trump but it would be really stupid to pout and not try to work with what we have. People like you are why he got elected in the first place.

if i refused to work with my coworkers because of who they voted for (and i know some voted for Trump) then I'm an idiot. but i'm not, and still work and interact with them.

This thread would likely be more appropriate under Tesla Investor Discussions, where it is obviously relevant. With all the speculation that Trump would stomp out Tesla as soon as he got a chance, this seems like a very positive development. There is nothing like a successful domestic company with an international market and which is not on the government dole to counter arguments that sustainable green technologies are holding back the economy.

Elon has met Tillerson and is impressed with his demonstrated capabilities and experience. Elon also believes that Tillerson is supportive of a carbon tax.. As @kort677 pointed out, it appears that Elon is taking a pragmatic approach and as the leader of Tesla and SpaceX that is sensible. When Tillerson was nominated my first reaction was disbelief and then deep skepticism. We shall see...

Elon has met Tillerson and is impressed with his demonstrated capabilities and experience. Elon also believes that Tillerson is supportive of a carbon tax.. As @kort677 pointed out, it appears that Elon is taking a pragmatic approach and as the leader of Tesla and SpaceX that is sensible. When Tillerson was nominated my first reaction was disbelief and then deep skepticism. We shall see...

Yes, there is cynicism about his sincerity on the carbon tax, but let's see what happens when he is held to his word...

and does it affect reservation thoughts. I canceled mine in December because Bolt will be here sooner for me and I am glad I did as Musk endorsing Tillerson yesterday makes me wonder if he is willing to work with an administration that has removed climate change page for White House web site and already extended Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines. Making a stand matters

So you are essentially saying you bought a Bolt because in your mind GM is doing more to "make a stand" against climate change than Tesla?

Seriously?

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevTremaine
You do realize that one of Trump's highest priorities is to expand manufacturing here in the US and will be offering sizeable tax incentives to companies that are looking to expand on US soil? Why deny having Musk sitting on an advisory board role with direct access to Trump and his administration each quarter laying little seeds that mature into larger oak trees over the years is going to be anything but great for both his companies.

Think about all the regulation Tesla is jumping through to stay alive and sell their products here in the US when they build a large percentage of the parts here, not ship them in like other auto markers and tech firms. Consider how much push back they get when trying to open a "showroom" to sell their products made in our own backyard. Think about the waste product that all of these lithium batteries the Giga factory is pushing out generates.

I know most people that are interested in Tesla’s products mostly fall under one political roof and seem to have a hard time working with the people living next door. Working with others is a requirement to achieve a goal and in my opinion, unless you’ve contacted your local and state representatives to help show your support for Tesla, you should consider your own actions (or lack of) vs looking at others. I have and I own nothing more than a Tesla T-Shirt and a $1k waiting list spot right now, have you contacted the people that are holding back Telsa?

Reactions: PAULL
Please remember that political bickering is not permitted on the forum. We will tolerate a certain amount of polite debate about political issues affecting Tesla, EVs, and related topics.

Anything else is not appropriate for this forum and will be removed. Some posts have already crossed the threshold and will be moved to the snippiness thread to remove them from the conversation.

Lost faith in Elon's motivations here. He's effectively endorsing and acting as a mouthpiece for he who shall not be named. I guess Elon's content with SpaceX's and Tesla's agenda being advanced and he appears to be willing to look the other way a bit wrt fossil fuel policies, the EPA and so on.

Has me wondering about my Model 3 reservation, being a shareholder and continuing to be an advocate for the company and its mission that's now in question in my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.