Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of noise about Elon's comment.

Sudden stop of oil production would cause an economical collapse. So oil companies do necessary work. Oil companies have also tried to hide danger of climate change. That they should pay for. I don't know if Tillerson was behind that. Lets see:

Lieu hadn’t been keeping up with the evolution of Exxon’s climate-related positions since Tillerson replaced the hard-nosed Raymond as CEO in 2006. In 2007, Exxon began cutting off funding for some nonprofits that deny widely accepted science on global warming. The company in 2009 for the first time endorsed a tax on carbon emissions, a stance vehemently opposed by Republicans in Congress and therefore dead on arrival on Capitol Hill. At the Exxon annual meeting in Dallas in May, the silver-haired Tillerson went out of his way to tell shareholders that “the risks of climate change are serious and they do warrant thoughtful action.”

Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson on Wednesday expressed views on climate change that differ significantly from those of President-elect Donald Trump.

"I came to the conclusion a few years ago that the risk of climate change does exist and that the consequences of it could be serious enough that actions should be taken," the former Exxon Mobil CEO said at his Senate confirmation hearing.

So I agree with Elon!

Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson on Wednesday expressed views on climate change that differ significantly from those of President-elect Donald Trump.

So I agree with Elon!

What does a person's view on climate change have to do with being Sec.of State? Tillerson is not being considered for EPA.

The facts are that Exxon is the largest holder of oil reserves in Russia, something like 80/90% of Russia's total reserves. This is a conflict of interest that Musk endorses. The concern is that Tillerson will put the best interests of Exxon ahead of the best interests of the US in order to curry favor with Russia.

Rather than crucify the oil companies and their executives and employees,,,,,,,,,,I have heard it said that if we simply ended all subsidies for petroleum, the alternatives would become the clear preference.

Yes we should crucify them when they put company profits ahead of what is good for the health of people and the planet.

Plastic bags have alternatives, a ban of them has no impact..

Exactly my point, there are alternatives! So banning plastic bags does have an impact. A commitment to renewable energy is a process not an absolute.

[And I'm not taking about air pollution studies.

Oh, but I am. You don't see any nexus between air pollution and the oil industry?

The fact is, most of us wouldn't even be here without oil.

And that's the problem, too many of us sucking at the tit of the oil industry. We have been too willing to allow the oil industry to make us dependent on them. Musk's endorsement appears to facilitate that concept.

The power that runs research labs, universities, hospitals, doctor's offices, solar panel manufacturing facilities, construction equipment that builds new "clean" factories, and more is predominantly fossil-fuel based. We're reliant on it - the goal is to be reliant on it as a vehicle to support us while we're abandoning our dependence upon it. And to use it in its best function - to get us out of needing it. Wise usage is key. Shaming it as a power source definitely misses the big picture.

The quest for renewable energy is a process not an immediate absolute. Shaming the and crucifying the oil industry IS the big picture.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: kort677 and ohmman
"Also, he has publicly acknowledged for years that a carbon tax could make sense. There is no better person to push for that to become a reality than Tillerson. This is what matters far more than pipelines or opening oil reserves. The unpriced externality must be priced."

Elon Musk explains why he supports Rex Tillerson

What does Sec of State have to do with implementing a carbon tax? Nothing. That policy is more appropriate for EPA position. Elon knows that!

The facts are that Exxon is the largest holder of oil reserves in Russia, something like 80/90% of Russia's total reserves. This is a conflict of interest that Musk endorses...

Musk has not endorsed the conflict of interest. He has endorsed Tillerson for being the best nominee we're likely to get. And for being possibly the only person in the new administration to acknowledge that people are causing climate change.

I don't know Musk (though I'd like to meet him and thank him for building my car). I don't know Tillerson. But I'm not going to crucify Musk for holding an opinion that differs from my own. (I've disagreed with him on several matters*, but I still support what he's doing.) There's not going to be anybody in this administration I would find palatable. But I'm happy to see Musk participating in a panel that might have the administration's ear.

* I disagreed strongly with the decision to put a two-speed transaxle in the first version of the Roadster, and I disagree with him about Mars. I expect I will disagree with him about other matters as well.

Reactions: ModelX
Thank God they are gone!
The majority of civil servants are good, hard-working people who believe in what they are doing. Like any enterprise, there are those who should be fired. The government is no different. But to believe that a massive departure of the bi-partisan folks who have departed is a good thing, is to not understand the void that is now left behind.

The majority of civil servants are good, hard-working people who believe in what they are doing. Like any enterprise, there are those who should be fired. The government is no different. But to believe that a massive departure of the bi-partisan folks who have departed is a good thing, is to not understand the void that is now left behind.
But @bonnie, don't you know that football fans always hope for their team to fire the offensive line and hire tennis players instead? And when you're at a tech company, isn't it the best when you bring in welders to take care of the servers? I mean, outsiders are great.

But @bonnie, don't you know that football fans always hope for their team to fire the offensive line and hire tennis players instead? And when you're at a tech company, isn't it the best when you bring in welders to take care of the servers? I mean, outsiders are great.
Shush, you.

I guess here is one place where I'd actually employ an age-old TMC axiom that I think I haven't personally used before:

I'll trust Elon rather than some columnist/blogger or a bunch of disgruntled government employees on this one.

Why? Because the negative of this is too reactive. Reeks partisan (aka anti-anti-establishment). Realistic judgement of what really happens is months away.

Elon saw potential. That's no guarantee, but it is a forward looking statement. Others just jumped to judgement. I would understand concern - anxiety - even alarmism (you know me), but jumping to judgement... no.

So, good for you, Elon. Some guts.

"I don't see massive departure of bi-partisan"

Top State Department officials asked to leave by Trump administration - CNNPolitics.com

Oh, but I am. You don't see any nexus between air pollution and the oil industry?

Of course but I don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. I am glad, though, that you don't use anything in relation to oil in your life. :rolleyes:

The ENTIRE senior management of the State Department has just resigned. Musk, with his endorsement, is on the wrong side of this issue. This is a major stumble on Elon's part.

I read this then went to CNN and read:

Top State Department officials asked to leave by Trump administration - CNNPolitics.com

In what world does being "asked to leave" = "just resigned"?

:rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.