Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, yes I do know of companies (some Fortune 500, one Fortune 100) where management is not asked to leave with a change. In fact, I've personally twice benefited from being given a 'stay bonus' to NOT leave because a new CEO was coming in.

More typically, I've watched a new CEO come in and wait at least a few months to evaluate their direct team before making changes. Usually they'll bring one trusted person along (and some face plant stories along those lines). But the majority of the team has stayed intact, most likely because of the harm that would result with just getting rid of all the top people. A good CEO would understand these people got in their positions through knowledge (typically), very likely have team loyalty, and understand nuances that might not be obvious to a new person, no matter how good their qualifications might be.

I'd feel much better if the people coming in had resumes to support their new position. But with a few exceptions, they do not.
apparently in your personal situation your skills and your value to the company was the reason for your continuation, in the case of state, these people were apparently not what the current leaders wanted in those positions.
my point is that their release is not very earth shattering and really is just a tiny blip on the radar of what is important.

The Grabber in Chief doesn't believe in modern medicine. He believes in witchcraft!

Sadly, this is true. He is an anti-vaxxer, a climate-change denier, and generally a science denier. I shudder to think how many people, especially kids, are going to die of vaccine-preventable diseases because of Trump's horribly misinformed anti-vaccine beliefs.

No, it is not. The difference is in the winner-take-all system state-by-state. If candidate A wins a state by 80% to 20%, or wins it by 51% to 49%, or even wins it by 34% to 33% to 33% in a three-way race, the result is the same: All the state's electors go to candidate A. The effect is the dilution of the majority votes in states with a large majority for one candidate and the magnification of the majority votes in states with close races. In a democratic system the majority rules. In our system, the majority is often completely excluded from power and the minority rules.

Something similar happens due to gerrymandering at the state level in the election of representatives to the House: Voters of one party are systematically concentrated into a few districts, and voters of the other party are strategically placed in districts where they will win by small majorities, and the result is that the party with fewer votes gets more of the representatives.

Gerrymandering and the Electoral College subvert democracy, systematically giving power to the minority party. This is the opposite of democracy.

System is not perfect, but it is still democratic. Problem you describe is not largest problem. If I understood correctly, voters had to choose between two most hated candidates. Original democracy was worse: Only free men could vote. Slaves and women could not.

Original democracy was worse: Only free men could vote. Slaves and women could not.

Just wait a while. Soon, the US will be back to that again. I mean it has started already. Trumps Anti-Muslim act is just the beginning. It plays into the cards of the IS while at the same time destroying all the positive values the US used to stand for as moral leader of the free world. If I were France, I would ask for my Statue of Liberty back. Perhaps many in the US haven't noticed yet, but in only two weeks in office, Trump has managed to alienate almost the whole world, especially many former allies and partners.

jkn said:
Original democracy was worse: Only free men could vote. Slaves and women could not.

Just wait a while. Soon, the US will be back to that again. I mean it has started already. Trumps Anti-Muslim act is just the beginning. It plays into the cards of the IS while at the same time destroying all the positive values the US used to stand for as moral leader of the free world. If I were France, I would ask for my Statue of Liberty back.

Oookay... Look, this kind of narrative is exactly why the political conversation is so polarized. How can we ever hope to have any meaningful discussions about anything if the level of misunderstanding between the different sides is at that level. US will soon be back at only free men voting, no female vote... and slaves? I mean, come on.

Perhaps many in the US haven't noticed yet, but in only two weeks in office, Trump has managed to alienate almost the whole world, especially many former allies and partners.

The media and social media bubbles just makes it look like that to some. I can guarantee the whole world is not alienated. Most likely quite a few western countries are divided amongst their respective liberal and conservative lines - with the liberal media, celebrities and elite just making more noise.

This is exactly why Brexit and Trump surprised people so much. The perception from the media and social media bubbles was not accurate representation of the world.

This is exactly why Brexit and Trump surprised people so much. The perception from the media and social media bubbles was not accurate representation of the world.
one reason the media missed it is because of the echo chamber that they exist in, for the most part they are biased to the left.
lastly they do very little reporting, for the most part they just parrot the releases from government officials and activists that they agree to promote.
one of the best lines from today's WH press briefing was when Spicer suggested that the people in the press room needed to get out of DC every once in awhile. epic!

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME
It is my understanding that many of the outraged countries - and many of the affected countries - do not allow Israeli citizens to enter at all. As a permanent policy.

The world is a complex place.

I reserve judgement until more can be seen. In the meanwhile, go Elon and try to work this situation into something better.

Things are going to be a challenge for quite some time. Many people are reacting negatively towards the Trump administration, and some folks have gone over the deep end a little. I'm generally middle of the road, and even I have a hard time not getting outraged at what they are doing, and I'm starting to feel uncomfortable around conservatives. I have to wonder if some of it is intentional, for the purpose of angering liberals beyond reason so they can be more easily discredited. I have a personal belief that Bannon is seriously sinister and is behind a lot of their actions.

To those who are upset with Elon, take a breath, and withhold your outrage towards him for now. Elon is being nice, and trying to work within the limited framework he is given. He, like us, should be nice, until it is time to not be nice. It is not clear and definitive ... yet ... that it has become time to not be nice. Don't let them trick you into early overreaction so that they can pull back and then hold it against you. For now, peaceful protests, donations to organizations, and engagement, where possible, is still the most appropriate course of action.

No more talk of collaborators for now. There are no "collaborators" until they start burning books, banning science and arresting scientists, or indiscriminately stuffing brown people into prison sheds. It may appear we are headed that way, but we aren't quite there yet.

I swear the Trump administration is TRYING to divide us. I don't understand why. But it would seem to be their intent. If you want to resist, keep talking, and try to be respectful. One of Trump's biggest failings (or strategy?) is being disrespectful, and we should try hard not to join him in that. He doesn't want us trying to get along. So try to get along. Until we are over the cliff, which we aren't yet.

To conservatives, I highly recommend Evan McMullin's Stand Up Republic movement. I would give my left nut to have someone like him in office right now instead of Trump.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ohmman and kort677
I swear the Trump administration is TRYING to divide us. I don't understand why. But it would seem to be their intent. If you want to resist, keep talking, and try to be respectful. One of Trump's biggest failings (or strategy?) is being disrespectful, and we should try hard not to join him in that. He doesn't want us trying to get along.
Trump is taking an ancient political tactic -- berating and demonizing his opponents in order to solidify support among those who agree with him -- to a new level, at least for American politics.

I don't respect him because he hasn't earned an iota of my respect. So I can't "get along" with him or in fact anyone who supports him. I can only resist his abhorrent policies and speak out. He will fail to change America and will quickly come to be known as the worst president in American history. He will pass. But it is going to be painful...

Another perhaps surprisingly US/nationalistic post from Elon. He seems to be going all #MAGA on this:

elon_tweet_20170131.png

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Trump is taking an ancient political tactic -- berating and demonizing his opponents in order to solidify support among those who agree with him -- to a new level, at least for American politics.

I don't respect him because he hasn't earned an iota of my respect. So I can't "get along" with him or in fact anyone who supports him. I can only resist his abhorrent policies and speak out.

Judging by the latter half of your post and the public reaction, the other side is doing exactly the same. I just have to wonder how exactly is this division helpful for any kind of meaningful dialogue or collaboration - four years of "resistance" and opposition for the sake of opposition, non-collaboration for the sake of non-collaboration...

I find Elon's approach more pragmatic and useful. We shall see where it leads (or not) of course.

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME
It is my understanding that many of the outraged countries - and many of the affected countries - do not allow Israeli citizens to enter at all. As a permanent policy.

Hmm, I wonder why that might be. I thought Israel was supposed to be loved in the Arab world...
</sarcasm>

I don't respect him because he hasn't earned an iota of my respect. So I can't "get along" with him or in fact anyone who supports him. I can only resist his abhorrent policies and speak out. He will fail to change America and will quickly come to be known as the worst president in American history. He will pass. But it is going to be painful...

+1000

Another perhaps surprisingly US/nationalistic post from Elon. He seems to be going all #MAGA on this.

There is nothing wrong with the idea to MAGA. On the contrary, the world benefits from a strong US. The people in the US deserve to live in a strong nation, represented by a strong president.

The problem is that Trump is what he is. He is no great politician, he is not even a politician at all. He is a businessman, and an extremely ruthless one at that. He has no morals, he has no decency, he has no sense of how to be the statesman he would have to be to adequately represent the office he has the unfortunate "luck" of representing. Plus, the way he wants to MAGA is guaranteed to cause massive problems for the American people in the long run, not that many would realize that at the moment, at least not those who support Trump. Living in a bubble isn't a sustainable concept.

Elon also is a successful businessman, but he is the complete opposite of Trump. He is right in trying to make the best of the current situation and I will be the last one to criticize him for that. After all the employees in his companies are counting on him too. But it will probably cost him quite a few sympathies - and maybe even some potential Model 3 customers. Then again, I don't think that effect will be all too noticeable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: daniel
Hmm, I wonder why that might be. I thought Israel was loved in the Arab world...
</sarcasm>

Indeed. But it was just an example of how national priorities can affect innocent citizens as well. There are many a Holocaust surviving grandmother in Israel that can not enter some 15+ countries, if press would want some human narrative. Crossing borders is not universally considered a right, but at times considered a privilege the recipient decides on. The debate on what is right and wrong of course rages on.

Just saying the world is quite a bit more complex than the black and white debate of the past few days seems to suggest.

Just saying the world is quite a bit more complex than the black and white debate of the past few days seems to suggest.

Of course it is. Problem is, Trump is trying to paint exactly that black and white image all the time.
He is not known (yet) for nuanced thinking or communicating. A true president needs more than just stereotypes in his head, plus he needs a way of communicating eloquently. Trump as yet shows no signs of that, nor has he during his campain. Or did you get a different image of him, even recently?

Of course it is. Problem is, Trump is trying to paint exactly that black and white image all the time.
He is not known (yet) for nuanced thinking or communicating. A true president needs more than just stereotypes in his head, plus he needs a way of communicating eloquently. Trump as yet shows no signs of that, nor has he during his campain. Or did you get a different image of him, even recently?

I doubt we'll ever see nuanced communication from Trump (not that I wouldn't welcome it as you do), but I am not yet certain it means he or his administration is incapable of nuanced thinking. We shall see over time, of course. Of past Republican examples, George W. Bush is probably a great example of lacking in nuanced thinking. Ronald Reagan, OTOH, faced pushback similar to Trump but was - in the end - greatly more nuanced president than first appeared.

OTOH sometimes the politically correct eloquence is similarly just stubborn sticking to certain doctrines masked in nice talk. If people felt the political correctness was masking failed policies and wanted a change candidate, that change is probably more important than eloquence - let alone eloquence that would simply be masking non-change. I guess this is where Trump gets much of his lift from.

I agree the best candidate would be one with great communication, great policy and great ability to achieve said policy. Trump does not have great communication, I doubt he ever will. His policy is part a matter of political opinion (everyone's is), likely part hidden by the fog of the current situation (thus unknown). His ability to achieve his policies is a complete question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.