Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not by much. The stock has been trading around $1000 for a few weeks. Thursday it closed at $985.
Yeah. Not only isn't it down much I don't see the Twitter fight to matter to the market as much as Shanghai being closed down and inflation rate highest in over 40 years.
Shangai may open next week too. That should lead to a pop if it does and they can get parts

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I agree, especially if he starts selling!
For the kind of money he was willing to spend he should just start his own and kick their butt!

If he wants freedom of speech he doesn't need to start his own. There's a variety of services and forums already available. There's Truth Social, Parler, Gab, 8chan, Stormfront, various flat earth and hollow earth forums. He doesn't even need money to make a difference. He could just move to any one of these services and a good mount of his followers would likely come with him. Likewise the media that's pretty much forced to pay attention to him would then have to pay attention to whatever site he uses.

Was 1150 before Titter, then down to 950. 200 drop is significant.
Not for a long time....
April 4th was the premarket disclosure of Elon's Twitter stake along with the first day of trading after the April 2nd P&D release.
1150 was breached April 5th.
1 month and 6 month charts
SmartSelect_20220416-094637_TD Ameritrade Mobile.jpgSmartSelect_20220416-094654_TD Ameritrade Mobile.jpg

To skip the monk and lots of others skip ahead: Musk starts at 1:17 and Twitter at 1:26

I believe that Musk has good intentions but "free speech" is a quagmire. Everyone is in favor of free speech (applause) but everyone has their own idea of free speech and whatever Musk does, he will receive criticism. The interviewer points out some of the real issues. Musk seems to think that having an "open algorithm" will solve problems. The interviewer points out that at some point humans will have to make decisions (at least about the algorithm) and humans may disagree.
It looks like Musk is starting to consider some of the dilemmas of implementing free speech. He wants to ban scambots, for instance, and things that are "illegal".
It's a long way from "free speech absolutism".
It's nice that he wants to improve things but it really looks like a large distraction without any clear benefit.
It would help, at least within the Twittersphere, if Elon would filter his Twitter posts more; be a little more careful about how and what he says there, as a high profile individual. It currently seems to be his largely unfiltered thoughts, and can lead to wrong impressions. Of course, that's arguably always been an issue of his that we need to keep in mind.

There is another interesting Twitter thread by @yishan about Elon's bid to take over Twitter ( ), and I think it might be pretty on the nose; in it he discusses some of the problems with trying to manage a social media platform relating to free speech and user behavior. His conclusion seemed to be that it would be a better use of Elon's time to leave Twitter be and remain focused on Tesla, SpaceX, and his other endeavors; I think Elon even liked that particular tweet thread.

Reactions: advocate8
Thanks for documenting my point.
I do not follow.
You:
Was 1150 before Titter,
Data:
It was 1150 after twitter.
You:
then down to 950. 200 drop is significant.
Data:
It was 985 (Thusday's close) eight days before twitter.

4/11-4/14 stock price is the same or higher as the 3/22-3/25 range. Need to go back to 1/21 to see that high a price.
Speaking of January, Q4 P&D report caused a 3 day $150 spike.
Q1 2021 P/D and earnings had a one month $200 bump.

I do not follow.
You:

Data:
It was 1150 after twitter.
You:

Data:
It was 985 (Thusday's close) eight days before twitter.

4/11-4/14 stock price is the same or higher as the 3/22-3/25 range. Need to go back to 1/21 to see that high a price.
Speaking of January, Q4 P&D report caused a 3 day $150 spike.
Q1 2021 P/D and earnings had a one month $200 bump.
Not to be a pendant (but I am), your chart shows about 1150 on 4/4 (before Titter) and 985 a week later.
Just wait til Musk starts selling to buy more Twitter.

The Law That Shaped the Internet Presents a Question for Elon Musk Opinion | The Law That Shaped the Internet Presents a Question for Elon Musk

But no matter how smart and rich he is, Musk can’t rid the web of the problems that Section 230 was meant to address. It would be crazy, and counterproductive, for Musk to end all content moderation. Twitter would soon fill up with not-quite-illegal sexual material, deceptive sales pitches, trolls and other garbage that would drive away users and wreck Twitter’s market and consumer value.

The Law That Shaped the Internet Presents a Question for Elon Musk Opinion | The Law That Shaped the Internet Presents a Question for Elon Musk

But no matter how smart and rich he is, Musk can’t rid the web of the problems that Section 230 was meant to address. It would be crazy, and counterproductive, for Musk to end all content moderation. Twitter would soon fill up with not-quite-illegal sexual material, deceptive sales pitches, trolls and other garbage that would drive away users and wreck Twitter’s market and consumer value.
Why must everyone take things to extremes? Musk never said anything about no moderation.

“Twitter has become kind of the de-facto town square,” he said. “It's just really important that people have both the reality and the perception that they're able to speak freely within the bounds of the law.”

In terms of specific changes, Musk said Twitter should open-source its algorithms and minimize the interventions it takes in policing content. “Any changes to people's tweets — if they're emphasized or de-emphasized — that action should be made apparent,” he said. “So anyone can see that that action has been taken so there's no sort of behind-the-scenes manipulation, either algorithmically or manually.”

He added that the underlying code behind the algorithm should be available on GitHub, so that users could inspect it themselves.

“I think we would want to err on the side of, if in doubt, let the speech exist,” he said. “I'm not saying that I have all the answers here.” He repeated several times that his preference would be to allow all speech that is legal, and that he dislikes measures like permanent bans. “I do think that we want to be just very reluctant to delete things and be very cautious with permanent bans,” he said. “You know, timeouts I think are better than sort of permanent bans.”

I can't understand how anyone disagrees with that

NEW YORK, April 15 (Reuters) - Buyout firm Thoma Bravo LP has contacted Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) to express interest in putting together an acquisition offer that would rival Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk's $43 billion bid, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.

NEW YORK, April 15 (Reuters) - Buyout firm Thoma Bravo LP has contacted Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) to express interest in putting together an acquisition offer that would rival Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk's $43 billion bid, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The sharks smell blood in the water

The sharks smell blood in the water
I think it’s more likely that the tender offer set the new market price. That’s potentially why we saw a post-close bump as well. When an offer is made above the trading price, and is in essence rejected, it indicates a higher valuation than the prevailing market. Historically that’s how it often works, anyway.

Why must everyone take things to extremes? Musk never said anything about no moderation.

“Twitter has become kind of the de-facto town square,” he said. “It's just really important that people have both the reality and the perception that they're able to speak freely within the bounds of the law.”

In terms of specific changes, Musk said Twitter should open-source its algorithms and minimize the interventions it takes in policing content. “Any changes to people's tweets — if they're emphasized or de-emphasized — that action should be made apparent,” he said. “So anyone can see that that action has been taken so there's no sort of behind-the-scenes manipulation, either algorithmically or manually.”

He added that the underlying code behind the algorithm should be available on GitHub, so that users could inspect it themselves.

“I think we would want to err on the side of, if in doubt, let the speech exist,” he said. “I'm not saying that I have all the answers here.” He repeated several times that his preference would be to allow all speech that is legal, and that he dislikes measures like permanent bans. “I do think that we want to be just very reluctant to delete things and be very cautious with permanent bans,” he said. “You know, timeouts I think are better than sort of permanent bans.”

I can't understand how anyone disagrees with that

It's just that when I hear Musk describe himself as a free speech absolutist it makes me assume that his position is, well, absolutist.

His opinion he's expressing here is not that of a free speech absolutist. So is he being deceptive here or has his position on free speech changed?

It's just that when I hear Musk describe himself as a free speech absolutist it makes me assume that his position is, well, absolutist.

His opinion he's expressing here is not that of a free speech absolutist. So is he being deceptive here or has his position on free speech changed?
Perhaps he doesn't mean to be taken so literally. An example is people who say " Violence should be avoided at all costs!" Someone then brings out an extreme example like " So if I was going to murder your entire family you would let me?"

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Now this is interesting...

Dan O’Dowd, founder and chief executive of Green Hills Software and a self-described billionaire from Santa Barbara, has in recent days reserved nearly $650,000 in TV airtime to run in the state, according to data from ad-tracking services obtained by POLITICO. Separately, three people familiar with O’Dowd’s plans, including a national Democratic official working to protect Senate incumbents, told POLITICO that it’s just the start of a barrage of ads from O’Dowd targeting Musk and Tesla over its self-driving technology. Green Hills makes competing software to Tesla’s and O’Dowd has publicly derided Musk’s electric vehicles as poor performing and dangerous. Musk has responded with broadsides in kind.

Instead, O’Dowd’s play for the Senate is likely being carried out as a cost-saving measure and to significantly enhance the likelihood that networks will air his TV spots. Running for office entitles him to the lowest available ad rate in the run-up to the election — a perk that could save him considerable money depending on the ultimate spend. But a bigger advantage, two people familIar with his plans said, is the higher degree of first amendment protection a political run could give him for his loaded claims against Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: AquaY
Not to be a pendant (but I am), your chart shows about 1150 on 4/4 (before Titter) and 985 a week later.
Just wait til Musk starts selling to buy more Twitter.
Then I guess the confusion is what you mean by titter?
4/4 high was $1,149.91 ('only' pedantic) , Musk's TWTR holdings were disclosed premarket, so anything 4/4 was post Twitter.
4/5 premarket Musk offered board seat, TSLA briefly hit $1152.87
4/9 Board seat rejection (Saturday)
4/10 Remove the w in Twitter tweet
4/11 first market day post rejection
4/14 premarket announces offer to buy Twitter

If you are referring to 4/10, TSLA was only down $50 4/8 to 4/11 and was back up within a few dollars 4/13 (all closing prices).

The drop seems more aligned with previous P&D reports and Shanghai continued shutdown than Elon's Twitter.

Then I guess the confusion is what you mean by titter?
4/4 high was $1,149.91 ('only' pedantic) , Musk's TWTR holdings were disclosed premarket, so anything 4/4 was post Twitter.
4/5 premarket Musk offered board seat, TSLA briefly hit $1152.87
4/9 Board seat rejection (Saturday)
4/10 Remove the w in Twitter tweet
4/11 first market day post rejection
4/14 premarket announces offer to buy Twitter

If you are referring to 4/10, TSLA was only down $50 4/8 to 4/11 and was back up within a few dollars 4/13 (all closing prices).

The drop seems more aligned with previous P&D reports and Shanghai continued shutdown than Elon's Twitter.
985 on your charts

Status
Not open for further replies.