Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the good old days when Musk just called some dude Pedo Guy for trying to save some boys in Thailand.

Now we are deliberating whether Twitter and Tesla are symbols of a particular political party agenda. Barf.

Greedy corporations that try to capture as much market share regardless of party affiliation make more sense because Greed is predictable.

Politics crap = Sucks.

What I want to know is who is he to tell people to vote republican?
duh your the richest person on earth of course you don’t want Biden in office.
but Don’t tell the people how to vote. It’s our right (for now anyway)
I think he should shut his mouth About political crap this country is divided enough.
I love my tesla but his comments are making me rethink my purchase.
but tesla is way further ahead than any other car company.
Like stated above political crap sucks😀
these are my opinions.

Musk is embarrassing.

He needs to be removed as CEO of Tesla. His name is tied to the brand and will now further polarize customers that will no longer want to associate with this clown. I’ve flipped 180 degrees on him in the past couple of years. Love SpaceX and Tesla, but he’s off the rails now and needs to move on.

I've felt he's becoming toxic to the brand for a year or more now. We live in a polarizing time where somebody is either a saint who can do no wrong, or they are canceled. Nobody is perfect and almost all people have positive qualities.

People also have strengths and weaknesses. Elon is an outstanding engineer when he goes to basic principles and redesigns some technology from the ground up. He's not so good when he weighs into politics and human relations. Nobody should be expected to be good at everything. In fact the qualities that make him such a good engineer also make him a poor boss and socially boorish.

I have been disappointed in the decline of Tesla's software the last few years and it's CEO. The car is still quite good though. Tesla no longer needs Elon at the helm.

I've talked before about the three phases of a company, especially tech companies:
1) Entrepreneurial phase - A start up led by a leader with vision. The company is usually very chaotic and many fail, but it is a time of tremendous growth.
2) Engineering phase - The founder is usually replaced by someone who knows the company well and is a stable hand on the helm. The company grows, but more slowly and becomes very stable. Failure in this stage is very rare.
3) Bean counter phase - People who don't understand what the company does take over and milk it for capital until it collapses.

Apple and Microsoft are in the engineering phase. They are profitable, growing slowly, and are pretty much non-controversial. The CEOs are much more boring than the founders, but that's what the companies need.

Tesla is ready for the engineering phase, but Elon needs to get out of the way. He's an entrepreneur at heart and doesn't have the temperament for the steady boring engineering phase.

Oh geez. Winning a government contract is not getting a subsidy.
It's capital.

In 2021, Musk has opposed higher taxes for the rich, and said the government shouldn't control "capital.

However, over the years, Musk's companies — Tesla Motors, SpaceX, and SolarCity — have received billions of dollars from government loans, contracts, tax credits, and subsidies. According to a Los Angeles Times investigation, Musk's companies had received an estimated $4.9 billion in government support by 2015, and they've gotten more since.

And at a Wall Street Journal summit this month, Musk said the government should "just delete" all subsidies from the $1 trillion infrastructure bill President Joe Biden recently signed into law. Biden's bill included $7.5 billion for electric vehicle charging infrastructure, which would seem to help one of Musk's companies, Tesla Motors.

What, that ridiculous seven year old 2015 LA Times article again? The one chock full of misstatements? Should we spend time here talking about every regurgitated hit piece? Now that Musk has entered into the political partisan battles one the ”wrong” side (he was on the “right” side for many years prior) I guess it’s open season. You too can align yourself with the oil majors and car OEMs and trash Elon.

Save yourself the trouble, we’ve literally all heard it before.

California has a energy storage program (SGIP) that has allowed homeowners and commercial installs to receive almost $500mm worth of discounts when they purchased Tesla Powerwalls and Megapacks. While this isn't a direct subsidy to Tesla, it is a pull/demand-side incentive that benefits Tesla through the flow of funds. Tesla would have sold fewer units had this program not existed.

Tesla would argue they're benefiting from this on a level playing field with other competitors so it's all fair game. It's not Tesla's fault people are buying their product instead of Enphase or Sonnen or LG or Northvolt.

Opponents of SGIP argue the entire program was a poorly constructed attempt to lower GHG emissions... and is just a grift to send funds to a select group of beneficiaries under the guise of a green program.

Regardless of POV, the moment the government (edit and government-endorsed-IOUs) get involved moving money around, there's a lot of grifting and hand wringing. But ultimately you all are paying the impact and are mostly powerless to stop it lol. It's a bit of a strawman to force a distinction of the type of government program. It's money going from the masses to benefit a select few. So the few getting the $ will always try to gatekeep/block others from getting to the trough.

Status
Not open for further replies.