Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... If [Elon] were Sec of Defense, I could see him renaming all of our warships Boatie McBoat Face. ...

More likely he'd name them "Boat," or "Boat T" or "Boat 4."

Tesla built a roadster, he called it "the Roadster," they made a sedan, he called it "Model S," he called my car "Model 3," the Tesla semi is called "The Semi."

For a man who considers himself an innovator he's got a surprising lack of imagination.

More likely he'd name them "Boat," or "Boat T" or "Boat 4."

Tesla built a roadster, he called it "the Roadster," they made a sedan, he called it "Model S," he called my car "Model 3," the Tesla semi is called "The Semi."

For a man who considers himself an innovator he's got a surprising lack of imagination.
That’s the difference, other manufacturers try to sell you a name and an image with that name.

Tesla sells you a functional product.

Reactions: DFibRL8R
So, this thread is for discussing Elon's history of buying companies like PayPal and Tesla...
His management style at companies like SpaceX and Boring...
Anyone he impregnates at any of those companies...
Any efforts he makes to accelerate the shift in global power toward China...

But any post containing the word "twit" will be ripped out of context and dumped randomly into the middle of the Elon & Twitter thread?

Or read what Elon Musk wrote. Worth looking out for what happens if the presidency swaps or if there's a similar tweet advocating balance within a US state. He's mostly voted democrat previously himself. I think many people would consider that the "primary" ("selection" in my country) amplifies extremes. Once the political party members have selected their candidate, most candidates dash back to the middle ground to get elected by the real/general voters. When an electoral area is a monocrop of a single party, corruption soon follows, whatever the political hue. Diversity helps, responsible reportage helps, independent judiciary helps.

View attachment 883740

His point of view here was functional when the US had two parties made up of people who knew how to govern and more or less were trying to enact policy over just playing politics. Today only one party can govern and has a clue what a policy is. That party is not above playing politics sometimes, but they are actually trying to get something done to help the country. The other party has become just politics and has forgotten how to govern.

The last time the Republicans had the trifecta, the only legislation beyond must pass legislation they managed to get through Congress was a massive tax cut that added trillions to the national debt with no benefit to the country as a whole, just to some people who already had more money than they knew what to do with.

The Democrats have had the slimmest trifecta in history the last two years and they passed several pieces of very substantial legislation. Even Newr Gingrich is impressed. I heard him interviewed on NPR the other day. He said that while he doesn't agree with what was passed, he is very impressed with what the Democrats managed to pass with their slim majorities.

I expect the next two years the House is going to be a completely dysfunctional body with a lot of angst trying to get must pass legislation through like raising the debt ceiling and the government will almost certainly shut down at least once because of political games on the part of the extremists in the House. Government shut downs are just a huge waste of money, but the party of politics and no policy, it doesn't matter, creating a spectacle is the point.

I truly wish the US had a multi-party system as is common in parliamentary democracies. A multi-party system has built in checks against one party going to loony town. If a major party does, a smaller party with similar ideology suddenly grows in power and supplants the old party.

Having reasonable opposition back and forth is good for a democracy. The ideal situation is the two most dominant parties are just left and right of center, both are willing to compromise to get things done, and both put policy above politics. The US today has a loony party trying to get more and more extreme and a party that has become everything else.

Elon just doesn't see that which is why that Tweet and his recent embrace of the lunacy is dangerous.

The Democrats have had the slimmest trifecta in history the last two years and they passed several pieces of very substantial legislation. Even Newr Gingrich is impressed. I heard him interviewed on NPR the other day. He said that while he doesn't agree with what was passed, he is very impressed with what the Democrats managed to pass with their slim majorities.
You’ll find that it’s pretty easy to spend other peoples money especially when you’ll never be held accountable for it.

Yeah, Elon's [message on social media] made the very logical argument that uninformed voters should vote cross-party to impede change. This is perfectly sensible - if there were need for change then presumably these voters would be more aware, right? Bliss is ignorance.

But Elon is either profoundly stupid, or despicably dishonest. Every American knows that 12 years ago, US policy was written and signed specifically mandating that only Republican sponsored legislation can be considered for a Senate vote, regardless of the party majority in any branch.

You’ll find that it’s pretty easy to spend other peoples money especially when you’ll never be held accountable for it.
The thing is we don’t all agree on how the money should be spent. We will never have full agreement on what is best to do. So instead we have to try our best to elect people who have some wisdom and perhaps aren’t completely self-absorbed and actually have the overall community’s interests in mind, even if those interests are counter to some of our individual personal interests. The point that one party isn’t interested in governing is a huge issue. We need everyone in elected office engaged in running our huge, complex country. Instead, we have a lot of politicians who would rather troll on Twitter than govern or even attempt to govern. Both parties manage to increase our deficit. We can argue about why that is — one side predictably says it’s from spending while the other says it’s from low taxation — but bills have to be paid and the government has to keep functioning. At the end of the day, we all rely on government, no matter how self-reliant we think we are. Right now we have a lot of people in positions of power and influence who aren’t wise. They don’t even seem to aspire to be wise. They aspire to be popular, it seems. They are driven by numbers of thumbs up and retweets. That’s not great for our society.

Not to get too far off on a political tangent, but I hope that you are aware of the fact that the disproportionate and overarching power of the right wing minority would vanish without access to unlimited funding from people corporations. Is that really what you want? Some kind of democracy?
If you can’t make yourself known and heard on grassroots efforts with enthusiastic support from your constituents, You don’t belong in public office.

No more corporate donors, no more unpaid media promotion (effectively donations in kind), no more individual donations over $500 USD.

I’ll take that deal tonight. 🤝

Reactions: UkNorthampton
His point of view here was functional when the US had two parties made up of people who knew how to govern and more or less were trying to enact policy over just playing politics. Today only one party can govern and has a clue what a policy is. That party is not above playing politics sometimes, but they are actually trying to get something done to help the country. The other party has become just politics and has forgotten how to govern.

The last time the Republicans had the trifecta, the only legislation beyond must pass legislation they managed to get through Congress was a massive tax cut that added trillions to the national debt with no benefit to the country as a whole, just to some people who already had more money than they knew what to do with.

I expect the next two years the House is going to be a completely dysfunctional body with a lot of angst trying to get must pass legislation through like raising the debt ceiling and the government will almost certainly shut down at least once because of political games on the part of the extremists in the House. Government shut downs are just a huge waste of money, but the party of politics and no policy, it doesn't matter, creating a spectacle is the point.

I truly wish the US had a multi-party system as is common in parliamentary democracies. A multi-party system has built in checks against one party going to loony town. If a major party does, a smaller party with similar ideology suddenly grows in power and supplants the old party.

Having reasonable opposition back and forth is good for a democracy. The ideal situation is the two most dominant parties are just left and right of center, both are willing to compromise to get things done, and both put policy above politics. The US today has a loony party trying to get more and more extreme and a party that has become everything else.

Elon just doesn't see that which is why that Tweet and his recent embrace of the lunacy is dangerous.
I think extremes & hate are the enemy. I think once one party (in any relationship, business included) gets too much power - things go bad & monopoly on power in the relationship should be changed. From my own country, monopolies of power lead to bad decision making & the ordinary suffer - extremes are reinforced, corruption & other criminality thrives. Vote to balance out incumbents seems reasonable to me.

BTW, I've just had a think and I can only think of one person I know in real life who is more "left" leaning than me (maybe). Strangely the more right-wing people pick up on all the Elon hate but they're a bit confused over why they should hate now. It was "how dare anyone criticise my car" to vague cognitive dissonance.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
I think extremes & hate are the enemy. I think once one party (in any relationship, business included) gets too much power - things go bad & monopoly on power in the relationship should be changed. From my own country, monopolies of power lead to bad decision making & the ordinary suffer - extremes are reinforced, corruption & other criminality thrives. Vote to balance out incumbents seems reasonable to me.

BTW, I've just had a think and I can only think of one person I know in real life who is more "left" leaning than me (maybe). Strangely the more right-wing people pick up on all the Elon hate but they're a bit confused over why they should hate now. It was "how dare anyone criticise my car" to vague cognitive dissonance.

Throughout history extreme political movements have never worked out well. It doesn't seem to matter where they start, they usually end up creating misery. The communist USSR and Nazi Germany were supposedly on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but in practice they weren't all that different. They basically got so far out there in they ended up meeting on the back side.

I never understood the thing of driving a car to make any kind of statement. I bought a Model S because it was the only car I could find that met all my criteria. It not only met all my criteria, it exceeded every one of them by quite a bit. As an engineer I was very impressed.

When I got my car I was amused, but also a little embarrassed when kids would give me a thumbs up when they saw my car. Now I'm embarrassed that my car is now associated with a raving lunatic on Twitter who is a leading candidate for The Last Leg's **** of the Year award.

... No more corporate donors ...

The problem is that the same people who would need to pass the laws to make that come true are the same people who get all that corporate money. It's like asking the wolves to pass a law against eating sheep.

... I never understood the thing of driving a car to make any kind of statement. ...

Same here. I have bought each of my cars in turn because it was the one that met my needs & wants. The Model 3 is the most luxurious car I've ever owned, has great acceleration, and I HATE gasoline. Not a "statement," I just don't want to use the stuff and I hate pumping it.

Reactions: GeoX750
egad... I didn't realize James Murdoch was on the board at Tesla. Never mind. Faux News rubber-stamp all over this behavior.

James Murdoch & his father have VERY different views.

James’s dislike of his father’s view on climate change – in short, that we don’t need to worry unduly – has become increasingly evident, as have his own leanings towards progressive politics.

For veteran media expert Roy Greenslade, who has charted every turn in the patriarch’s career, this weekend’s episode was no bolt from the blue. “It has been obvious for a couple of years that James has been unhappy about his father’s – and therefore the company’s – stance on climate change,” he said. “He and his wife have been vocal critics of Rupert’s belief that the change is not the result of human activity.”

The bushfires that ravaged Australia at the beginning of the year are ostensibly at the centre of James’s decision. In January, he and his wife, Kathryn, an environmental campaigner, issued a statement expressing disappointment at coverage by Fox News and other News Corp outlets.

An anonymous former colleague described how her initial scepticism about James’s talents proved unfounded. Speaking this weekend from LA, she said: “My hope is that James will now use his resources to create antidotes to Fox News,” adding that his faith that he could change the views of his father and brother may well have just run out.

James’s views on American politics are also a factor. The most liberal Murdoch donated to Unite America and to the Anti-Defamation League, both liberal causes. He has given cash to Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, while, in contrast, the family’s broadcast news outlet helped to elect the current incumbent

Reactions: SO16
Status
Not open for further replies.