Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing we know for certain is that it's *not* going to be the dashcam video of that guy jumping on his hood. Imma guess it's a set of NFT trading cards priced at $420.69.

1671217211309.png

Unbelievable.

Why?

I weigh up risks, I think & research a lot. I'm really interested in understanding the truth of a subject. I'm not perfect, but I'm less emotional than most people & I rarely take things at face value, I use primary sources where possible, ignoring hearsay.

I'm usually thought of as risk averse. I'm not, I just wait for opportunities with MUCH more upside than down. When I see an opportunity greater than risks, I go ahead. As a single person, I know I can survive most upsets. A lot of people end with no house or money even when they play safe (job for "life", marriage fails). They have to bounce back. It happens.

With dependents, the equation changes. I'm not going to risk as much.

Money is a tool and Elon needs that tool, a lot of it. Yes he is motivated by money.
He does need a lot of money to accomplish his greatest goals. He probably believes that this is not a problem with the success of any of his companies, probably multiple successes. I'm sure he's confident of long-term access to money.

In the meantime, he can tackle each risk in order of importance. The shift to EVs, mainstream solar, wind & batteries is a key element that has probably solved climate change - but only if it scales, only if the FUD against it can be fought (corporate media/lobbyists must be tamed). There are other risks which he has identified & is tackling. Not the way I would do it, but letting Elon elon is probably the fastest way to scratch the itch.

Even if he fails, he shifts the needle, brings awareness, disrupts. Elon turns impossible disruptions into late ones.

• Love
Reactions: superblast
but only if it scales, only if the FUD against it can be fought (corporate media/lobbyists must be tamed).
Viable technology always scales, even in the face of FUD. Either it works and is affordable or not. FUD will not be tamed with him owning Twitter, it's one, very small platform on a world wide level, plenty of outlets will continue to FUD as long as they can. He actually could have prevented more FUD by starting to pay for advertising in mainstream media, even though I don't think it's needed.

Curious that Elon was being stalked - at a gas station - in Pasadena, nowhere even close to any airports, on a day that no tracked flights occurred.
No dashcam footage exists, no cell phone video, there were no witnesses, and no police report was ever filed.

The only thing that *has* come of this, is that 121.7 million Kyle Rittenhouses are now on the manhunt for that guy in the white Hyundai. We seem to be edging closer to criminal action here.

Viable technology always scales, even in the face of FUD. Either it works and is affordable or not. FUD will not be tamed with him owning Twitter, it's one, very small platform on a world wide level, plenty of outlets will continue to FUD as long as they can. He actually could have prevented more FUD by starting to pay for advertising in mainstream media, even though I don't think it's needed.
Rate of adoption can be affected. Early adopters harmed, early producers harmed. Who killed the EV1, who killed electric trams?

In my own country it took the Ukraine war and a massive threatened rebellion (in the ruling party) to allow onshore wind & solar. Onshore wind has been banned for 6+ years (some exceptions, complex). Not sure about large solar farms, I can't keep up with the U-turns - pretty sure most were banned for a while.

A change in policy/government in Australia changed coal from king to killed - soon all coal fired plants will be closed according to some reports. Previously, massive support. Complete turn-around. Daft things can happen - how many electrical standards in Japan?* Japan's fixation with hydrogen (probably influenced/reinforced by Toyota). CCS 1 vs Tesla. "Clean Diesel". Jaywalking ("The idea of being fined for crossing the road at the wrong place can bemuse foreign visitors to the US, where the origins of so-called jaywalking lie in a propaganda campaign by the motor industry in the 1920s" - Jaywalking: How the car industry outlawed crossing the road)

* wiki - "Eastern Japan has 50 Hz networks while western Japan has 60 Hz networks.[10][11] Limitations of conversion capacity causes a bottleneck to transfer electricity and shift imbalances between the networks"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting that the standard Model X and *ALL* variants of Model 3's, Y's and S's are suddenly available for delivery immediately or sooner. Along with a $3750 discount and ~$500 worth of supercharging credit.

Just a few months ago the wait times for certain 3/Y trims were approaching 1 year.

Looks like the rumors of Tom Zhu replacing Elon Musk as CEO will be true, one way or another.

1671226170058.png

There's a way to hide the id (temp ID replaces). The tracking still happened, so either pilot didn't hide ID or a way was found around the safety restriction.

Ella Irwin is Twitter head for this since November (Vice reported) but seemingly worked in a similar role at Amazon & Google
View attachment 885674

The story seems to be that someone suggested a group for her to contact - a small organisation she hadn't heard of before (seemingly). She said "contact me". I would expect her to do some research before anything more. Then Vice went full unbalanced attack mode.

The tweet that was referenced that insinuated some link between OUR (never heard of), a social media platform & politics linked to an article claiming all manner of bad moves, including gutting child protection (one team in Singapore went from 5 to 1 member, but no indication of why - ie people not replaced yet after leaving, perhaps months ago - didn't mention that for months or years pleas for more staff were rejected due to "budgets"). As I said previously, it's likely that tools, new processes & automation have been brought in to tackle the problem in USA first. If Vice could have found more widespread problems, I would have expected them to lay it on thick.

Religion, money, power, charities - it often attract bad actors. Takes a while to sort the wheat from the chaff. There has to be zero benefit to being a bad actor.

Nit-picking every perceived misstep, missing the overall improvements isn't a wise move in my opinion. We need less partisan reporting, not more. Vice has often had an anti-Tesla slant, so I don't consider them objective nor fair. Knee-jerk hate isn't a reasonable path.

So
1) Vice reporting is unfair & is leading otherwise intelligent people astray & off into a rabbit hole
2) This "OUR" group has power / influence even though Ella hadn't met, hadn't seemingly heard of it & is probably tiny.

View attachment 885667

Thanks for the clarification. If true Ella Irwin may not be as radical as reported. The way Elon has been behaving, nobody would be surprised if he appointed some of the screwiest radicals in the country to key roles at Twitter.

He's not an engineer. He's the world's luckiest project manager.

His degree is in Physics, but he does actually approach technical problems with an engineer's hat on. He actually is a pretty good engineer. He is a complete failure running a social media platform.

Elon isn't motivated by money. He sees threats to humanity, looks around to see if anyone is tackling them and if not & if he can, gets involved. Initially messages, later taking control.

The one thing you can't buy is time. He's 50+ now. Limited time, he needs to seize the day. New purchase's debt was a threat. Not now (I hope!).

He'll get around to hyperloop if can free up some time... or maybe The Boring Company are on track to achieve it anyway, Elon genius/input needed, but not today.

There are two approaches people with a lot of money take, either use it to keep score or the money itself is not that important to them and they focus on other things. Donald Trump is the ultimate example of the score keeper. Elon has never shown any indication that he really cares all that much whether he's the world's wealthiest, second wealthiest, or anything like that.

However Elon is very interested in what his wealth can do. In that regard he is interested in his wealth.

Among highly creative people it's common for them to do their best work when they are young and their innovations tend to drop off/dry up as they get older. Elon is moving out of his prime creative years. He still thinks he can revolutionize the world, but this venture with Twitter was not thought out like his previous ventures and it's blowing up on him. His Twitter adventure also is a complete tangent from his previously stated goals to improve the world.

He is now making a lot of enemies. A number of people here who would have vigorously defended him a year ago are now changing their tune. He's going to have a lot of trouble getting people to work for him on any more projects going forward until he clearly distances himself from the Q BS he's touting today.

I think he's going to stall out on his stated missions to improve the world for at least a while and it could become permanent if he doesn't get a clue.

A bunch of journalists. His claim was they were "doxing him in real time" which was 1. Not true, and 2. A rule he had just made up.

This one, which just happened today was because she was reporting on him in a negative light.

Ex montrealer here, btw! I miss it.

Do you have sources for (1)

As far as I know (2) is long-standing, but I can't be sure

As for Linette Lopez & Martin Tripp - that really is a saga - The Elon Musk Show - but probably better sources elsewhere

Plus Aaron Greenspan (fake charities, harassment, doxing, threats, stealing passwords at Harvard, allegedly much, much worse which I won't repeat here) mixed up as well (he invented Facebook). Chapter 7: Who is Aaron Greenspan?

Birds of a feather (Lopez)?

1671237015171.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting that the standard Model X and *ALL* variants of Model 3's, Y's and S's are suddenly available for delivery immediately or sooner. Along with a $3750 discount and ~$500 worth of supercharging credit.

Just a few months ago the wait times for certain 3/Y trims were approaching 1 year.

Looks like the rumors of Tom Zhu replacing Elon Musk as CEO will be true, one way or another.

View attachment 885863
That supercharging is worth more than $500. Tesla is charging .53/kWh in SoCal, twice as much as EA and home charging. Even after Elon is gone, Tesla will have to deal with the stink his bad reputation leaves behind. A lot of us bought Teslas despite our dislike of Elon, and that was before his Twitter meltdown. Think of all the orders cancelled that led to this glut of inventory. What a mess.

Last edited:
Elon said that my car had "all the necessary hardware to drive itself anywhere in the country without a human in the car." That was several hardware revisions ago. Elon is not a stupid person. He had to know that there was no way in the world to know what hardware would be necessary for FSD until the software for FSD had been developed and validated.

He lied about the hardware because he wanted buyers of the car to pay an additional fee (several thousand dollars) for a future software upgrade that would, he promised, allow them to use their cars as robotaxis, on the smartphone app that he promised would come with the software. That software is nowhere in sight. Instead he's now promising "feature complete" which apparently means that all the modules are in place, even though none of them work and the driver must remain fully in control.

Other companies have robotaxis that actually work, within defined areas. Without any driver.

It is sleazy and dishonest, if not actually criminal, to sell a product that does not exist and that you don't know how to make.

Elon is not a stupid person. He had to know that there was no way in the world to know what hardware would be necessary for FSD until the software for FSD had been developed and validated.
I disagree. No he's not stupid but he's overly optimistic and obviously often misjudges how difficult problems are to solve.

Elon said that my car had "all the necessary hardware to drive itself anywhere in the country without a human in the car." That was several hardware revisions ago. Elon is not a stupid person. He had to know that there was no way in the world to know what hardware would be necessary for FSD until the software for FSD had been developed and validated.

He lied about the hardware because he wanted buyers of the car to pay an additional fee (several thousand dollars) for a future software upgrade that would, he promised, allow them to use their cars as robotaxis, on the smartphone app that he promised would come with the software. That software is nowhere in sight. Instead he's now promising "feature complete" which apparently means that all the modules are in place, even though none of them work and the driver must remain fully in control.

Other companies have robotaxis that actually work, within defined areas. Without any driver.

It is sleazy and dishonest, if not actually criminal, to sell a product that does not exist and that you don't know how to make.
"He had to know" - I question this assumption. If this assumption is wrong, then so is the accusation of Elon being a liar.

"Other companies have robotaxis that actually work" - I also question this as it's a matter for debate considering restrictions, accident rates etc. Particularly if the method they use relies on up to date lidar mapping. I personally don't see how it can be economical at a small scale and will be extremely difficult/impossible (late?) on a large scale.

"He had to know" - I question this assumption. If this assumption is wrong, then so is the accusation of Elon being a liar.

Fair enough: If my assumption is wrong, the conclusion might also be. But at some point an honest person admits their mistakes. The fact that Tesla is no longer offering a contractual promise that a car with "FSD" will someday actually be FSD, means they recognize that they were wrong. Yet, Tesla and Musk never apologized to early FSD buyers who were given that promise. It's never going to be possible to make my car full self-driving with a software update. Even though I didn't buy FSD, I was told that I could do so at any time, possibly at a higher price. Several hardware revisions later, it's clear that my car will never be capable of FSD, but there's been no apology or admission.

To be clear, it's the best car on the road and I plan on keeping it for another decade or so. But Tesla quietly and without fanfare changed the online description of FSD from "it can be a robotaxi" to "it can do NoAP in the city at Level 2 -- driver in full control at all times." And it cannot even do that very well! If Elon were honest he'd come right out and admit that and apologize. And perhaps offer a refund to the early FSD buyers.

"Other companies have robotaxis that actually work" - I also question this as it's a matter for debate considering restrictions, accident rates etc. Particularly if the method they use relies on up to date lidar mapping. I personally don't see how it can be economical at a small scale and will be extremely difficult/impossible (late?) on a large scale.

They are definitely not economical yet. But $10,000 on top of a $50,000+ car for FSD which is still Level 2, is hardly economical either. The difference is that those other companies are not selling something that does not exist.

I would take a robotaxi operated by one of those other companies (except Uber) if they operated here. Even if I didn't need the ride, I'd pay for a ride just to experience it. If Tesla loaned me a car with "FSD" I think I'd be afraid to engage it. That's just me, but that's my assessment of the value of FSD at its present stage of development, and the companies that have functioning robotaxis. (OTOH, EAP is great, and for me it functions very well. There is one spot where I have to disengage it because the lines on the road confuse it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.