Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously we're all just guessing but I think $5K for AWD and $10K for performance. So do you think this will impact base Model S sales?

I don't think so I don't
$74,000 for fully loaded PD. Good lord. Where’s the $35,000 model? Haha. I even want a $46,000 model but can’t even get that!

So you guys are saying 4500 AWD + 10000 Performance?

I doubt it. I was thinking 4500 AWD + 5500 for performance. So conbined 10,000 premium for performance.

Performance will probably add better suspension, brakes, wheels and tires and inconel fuses. $5500 seems reasonable.

I guess we will find out next week. Lol

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Wonder if there is gonna be some bling that will differentiate the AWD/Performance model from the LR commoner vehicles. There's gotta be something that will show show off that I got the more fancy AWD/Perf model..
A red T emblem? A lightning bolt? Red brake calipers?

With the lack of badging on the Model 3 it will be hard to distinguish SR and LR cars on the used market. If there isn't any badging for D and P it will get even worse.

Yes! A little annoyed that there is still no white interior. Can't wait to hear details on the performance version. I wonder how they're going to prioritize reservations? The wait is almost over!
I'm guessing you saw this already...
Image 2018-05-11 at 1.50.39 PM.png

I don't think so I don't

So you guys are saying 4500 AWD + 10000 Performance?

I doubt it. I was thinking 4500 AWD + 5500 for performance. So conbined 10,000 premium for performance.

Performance will probably add better suspension, brakes, wheels and tires and inconel fuses. $5500 seems reasonable.

I guess we will find out next week. Lol

The Model S P100D costs about 40K more than the 100D. :(
The pricing will be, as it is for most new items, just slightly below the target competitor. In this case the BMW M3. A mid range equipped M3 runs about 76K. The Tesla Model 3P will be priced about 5k less than this IMO. And will beat the crap out of the M3 in performance.

A red T emblem? A lightning bolt? Red brake calipers?

With the lack of badging on the Model 3 it will be hard to distinguish SR and LR cars on the used market. If there isn't any badging for D and P it will get even worse.

Tesla doesn't care.

But given that you'll want to check the VIN, that the VIN will tell you anything major, and that the badge just tells you that the car has that badge on it, then the badge really isn't necessary unless you are the kind of sad-case who uses their car as a psychological prop.

What's most interesting to me about his tweet about this today, is what it implies about a few other things. Notably, it may mean that they are essentially reaching the end of the North American reservations that want "just" LR. It may mean that he is more confident in attaining 5k/wk production around the end of June. And it most certainly means that US Tesla S/X owners who've deferred their Model 3 awaiting the D and/or the P are going to be able to receive them while the full $7500 federal tax credit is available (presumably through 9/30/18). These elements are each newsworthy in their own right, today.

See Franz's current LR Model 3 for a possible preview of what the performance model might look like.
  • Optional 20" sport wheels in Sonic Carbon finish
  • Optional carbon fiber spoiler (a la Model S P100D)
  • Red brake calipers with larger diameter front rotors (355mm vs current 320mm), this was leaked in an early Jan version of the owner's manual before it was removed.
Also, here's my best guess on lineup specs... we'll see if I'm anywhere close by next weekend:
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 4.55.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Nope, not with air suspension de-coupled from the package.

I think performance will be much more expensive than 4500+10000. For the S 100D the configurator has a base price of 97,300, for the P100D it jumps to 135,000 (this includes the 5k for PUP). Both cars have air suspension. So if we subtract 135,000-97,300-5,000 = 33,700 difference. I am guessing the Model 3 will have a slightly lower uptick, perhaps 25k overall. I suspect with all bells and whistles (but not FSD) it will be around 80-85k.

I'm glad that Elon is finally announcing this. I am slightly leaning toward going with RWD, but I wanted to know the price difference and such for the AWD first. Knowing everything will allow me to make my purchase without worrying over if I got the right version...

... at least until Elon reveals the model Y, lol...