Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet re: lack of instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of Model S lag issues are due to a 6 year old Tegra SoC being burdened by an increasing list of real-time tasks with each new software update. Try running the new Android Marshmallow on a tablet from 2010 and tell me how that goes. Tesla is not going to do a recall to replace the hardware on tens of thousands of screens just to fix an issue that bothers a minority of users, needing a system reboot only a handful of times a year.

This in no way can predict issues with Model 3 screens, unless you are assuming Tesla is going to use the same old Tegra SoC again. Well, obviously they won't. Intel has come a long way over the past 2 years, with their mobile SoC technology. We have Intel 14nm Skylake-U SoC now that operates at the same power rating as the old Tegra 3, at a lower TDP, and is 10 times faster in computations. I'll guarantee you that the Model 3 (and refreshed Model S/X) will have a new SoC that's going to be 10 times more powerful, or even more.

Ironically, you just made the argument as to why continuous software updates can be a BAD thing vs a good thing. Whatever chip is installed in the Model 3 will be top o' the line for 2017. But that same chip will be rather outdated and possibly overtaxed for that same Model 3 5 years later depending on how many software updates and features they add over the cars lifetime.

Maybe they will make the CPUs upgradeable? So when your Model 3 screen starts getting laggy due to all the software updates you can take it in and get it upgraded to the latest one?

Elon said that he has learned his lessons with Model X.
With Model 3, ease of manufacturing and delivering the car on time is of prime importance. So you think he would create a system that no car has done it before and risk delaying the launch?

There is a difference between designing and building something from scratch (i.e. falcon wing doors) and buying an off the shelf component that someone else has built/tested/validated and integrating it into your design--much less execution risk. This would be similar to the approach Tesla takes with the AP camera which they source from MobilEye.

Neither of us know WHY Tesla ditched the instrument panel. We are just making assumptions. But, I do know the dash assembly costs for a HUD will be very similar to that of an IPC, from my work experience as an engineer in the auto industry.

Very true, only Elon and his team know the real reason.

I personally believe they are using a single screen to replace everything.
If they thought a second display is needed, they would have retained the instrument panel.
HUD cannot be seen with polarized sunglasses (and a lot of drivers wear them), so unless you use the expensive DLP HUDs, it is really not a good substitute for instrument panel.

A lot of Citroen cars have the center of the wheel stay fixed when turning. I am guessing it isn't that hard to do if you want to put a screen directly on the wheel. I remember the first time I rode in one in Europe it wigged my brain out a little.

It just does not make sense to put a display on the steering wheel. If they thought they need an extra display, they would have retained the instrument panel - easier to make (they already have the parts and no need for any extra development), and functionally much better than on the steering wheel. Steering wheel display is too close to the driver - I may need reading glass to see it :) . There is also too much eye travel and refocusing as compared with a normal instrument panel.

It just does not make sense to put a display on the steering wheel. If they thought they need an extra display, they would have retained the instrument panel - easier to make (they already have the parts and no need for any extra development), and functionally much better than on the steering wheel. Steering wheel display is too close to the driver - I may need reading glass to see it :) . There is also too much eye travel and refocusing as compared with a normal instrument panel.
Unless it means that they can get rid of the stalks and save money that way. Regarding the focus question: if you manly use the screen as buttons it may be ok. Are you able to see the buttons on the Model S steering wheel spokes or are they too close? More crucial info could be displayed on the central screen, no?

The first post you linked to is clearly about the IP:

Good point. But the other 10 posts were about the main 17" screen.

I disagree. I am almost certain that one large touch screen is cheaper than all the buttons, instrument cluster, climate control module, radio/media control module etc.

I understand that, but that does not mean they have to put in a second screen or HUD.
You can still drive the car when the screen is frozen, You can stop the car at a safe place if you wish and wait until the screen reboots.

Elon is playing it safe for the Model 3, making sure all the parts are plentiful in supply and no few parts would hold up production like the Model X.

But many people wearing polarized sunglasses won't be able to see it during the day.
Yes, there is TI's DLP, but it is likely too expensive to use (no car has one yet).

It's not just the hardware screen: now they have to hire developers to code that software, provide it updates (while working with an ancient SoC like in the Model S), make sure it's completely secure because it connects to the internet, etc. Think about the whole cost, mate.

"You can still drive the car when the screen is frozen; You can stop the car at a safe place if you wish and wait until the screen" = lol, that's what we've come to? That's the response you have? At least MP3Mike understands: Tesla needs to fix it.

Nobody worry: if you can't see your speedometer in your $35,000 electric car, just park it. The electric car revolution is here! :rolleyes:

I hope Elon doesn't have the same tolerance for mistakes as you do.

Yeah, the DLP stuff looks expensive and now you have to worry about bulbs dying out. No idea what the MTBF is, though. I'm clinging to my pipe dream of transparent OLEDs in the windshield: LG is sourcing the main display, so maybe they'll contribute here, too.

But, this is all just speculation: how else, besides OLED/HUD technology, will "part 2" take it to the next level and how will the cockpit resemble a spaceship?

That only gives for about another 8 months to a year to prophesy and imagine "what could possibly go wrong that I must post so those idiots at Tesla can fix it".

Hey, man, don't you tell us what to do with our free time! I'll speculate and crit-i-cize whoever I want. That touchscreen, though, at 0:48:

Even if the screen crashes or lags, it won't effect the car. One of the first things I tried with the Model S was to reboot the screens while driving. Guess what? Everything keeps working. No big deal. Music and Nav will stop, but that is hardly safety critical. Every essential driving system in the S is rock solid, and works without the screens. The 17inch screen may occasionally lag when you open the controls window, but that isn't really a big deal. Never had any lag on the instrument cluster in the 3 years I've had my car.

A screen may be a new way to to display information, but all of the gear that feeds info to the screen is basically the same in all cars, whether it gets displayed on a screen or a dial. Nothing to worry about. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the next part of the reveal.

Of course it doesn't affect the car. That would be recall-worthy. It's all about experience, though: do you trust a speedometer after looking at that video above? Sure, it's the atrocious browser that's the example, but it's iffy nonetheless, especially on a $70,000 car.

Again, of course it all works without the screen and of course there is no lag on the instrument cluster: you have second screen that holds all the vital information. But, from what we know about the 3, that's not true.

All of Model S lag issues are due to a 6 year old Tegra SoC being burdened by an increasing list of real-time tasks with each new software update. Try running the new Android Marshmallow on a tablet from 2010 and tell me how that goes. Tesla is not going to do a recall to replace the hardware on tens of thousands of screens just to fix an issue that bothers a minority of users, needing a system reboot only a handful of times a year.

This in no way can predict issues with Model 3 screens, unless you are assuming Tesla is going to use the same old Tegra SoC again. Well, obviously they won't. Intel has come a long way over the past 2 years, with their mobile SoC technology. We have Intel 14nm Skylake-U SoC now that operates at the same power rating as the old Tegra 3, at a lower TDP, and is 10 times faster in computations. I'll guarantee you that the Model 3 (and refreshed Model S/X) will have a new SoC that's going to be 10 times more powerful, or even more.

What...Tesla had a $70,000 budget with the Model S. There is no excuse. The S is amazing and by far the best car in its class. But, that was a major slip-up. And, those buyers were willing to overlook a slip-up like that, just how they smoothed over the 2 cup-holders in a 7-seat car. They're forgiving. I don't think the mass-market is as forgiving.

They hardly upgraded it over the years, but they could've, right? They iterate all the time, right? They went with the Tegra 4, which, sadly, still has issues.

The Model X sounds better, but there seem to plenty of quality control issues and we are not far along in its product cycle, either. Not everyone cares about a responsive touchscreen, though.

Ironically, you just made the argument as to why continuous software updates can be a BAD thing vs a good thing. Whatever chip is installed in the Model 3 will be top o' the line for 2017. But that same chip will be rather outdated and possibly overtaxed for that same Model 3 5 years later depending on how many software updates and features they add over the cars lifetime.

Maybe they will make the CPUs upgradeable? So when your Model 3 screen starts getting laggy due to all the software updates you can take it in and get it upgraded to the latest one?

But ....that was on their $70,000 car! They should've went overboard, picking a much stronger SoC package. But, they didn't...on their $70,000 car.

Now, we've got all kinds of people claiming, "Oh, yeah, they messed up a bit on their $70,000 on the primary user interaction system. But, don't worry, if it happens on your $70k car, just pull over and reboot the screen. You'll lose music and nav, but don't worry. Now, Tesla's putting together their $35,000 car!"

If Tesla once ever acknowledged the Model S issues, I'd be a happy camper and trust Elon again. But, they haven't, so I'm skeptical.

@ikjadoon, Tesla has acknoweldged that the Model S isn't perfect. In fact Elon has stated repeatedly in interviews that while he is proud of the S, when he looks at it all he can see are its flaws.

You are being irrationally hypercritical of a car that has increased sales by 45% year over year (Q1 2015 to Q1 2016). A car that no one outside of Tesla believed could be created and manufactured. A car that no one imagined could outperform and outsell the top of the line ICE cars being built by companies that had been in business for a over century.

Tesla's achievements in the past few years speak for themselves. Your derision speaks for, well, just you I think.

I've got it. They are going to put a phone cradle in the steering wheel, a la "Faraway Future". Then your phone will display the gauges.

In case sarcasm goes over any heads.. This is a joke and I hope Tesla is listening.

That would not be a good idea especially when air bag deploys (in certain situation(s) with a conventional steering wheel) and that phone flies into one's face... Ultra fail.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
It's not just the hardware screen: now they have to hire developers to code that software, provide it updates (while working with an ancient SoC like in the Model S), make sure it's completely secure because it connects to the internet, etc. Think about the whole cost, mate.

Hey, man, don't you tell us what to do with our free time! I'll speculate and crit-i-cize whoever I want. That touchscreen, though, at 0:48:

I could be wrong but I thought that currently the IP in the Model S gets all of it's data from MCU (touch screen computer) over a network connection, so they already have all of the coding done for the main screen to be able to process the information in "realtime" and be secure from the Internet. And just because the browser is slow and laggy doesn't mean that the speedometer/information overlay would be, even if it is on top of the browser.

Also, there is no reason that the code needs to be shared between the S/X and the 3. They may very well fork a significant portion of the code, for example the UI at a minimum.

Is no one concerned about the split second "eyes off the road" to check speed and remaining range info? Seems to me it would only cost "$1.40" to slave those two or three data points directly in front of the driver. Yes it is redundant, but way cheaper than law suits and potential of lost sales due to driver alienation. EM said no "Weirdmobile" so why not phase-in the pure flight deck over time? BTW, I have no problem with 15" landscape or a simple serene interior architecture as long as it is comfortable, lush, killer sound system, and no flashing lights.

It's all about experience, though: do you trust a speedometer after looking at that video above? Sure, it's the atrocious browser that's the example, but it's iffy nonetheless, especially on a $70,000 car.

Yes I absolutely trust my speedometer after seeing that video. I'm not sure what a video of a laggy web browser on the 17 inch screen has to do with a totally different screen running on a different processor. As I said earlier, in 3 years and nearly 50k miles my speedometer has never lagged. The 17inch screen is worlds better than any other companies infotainment screen, even with it's quirky slow web browser.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Is no one concerned about the split second "eyes off the road" to check speed and remaining range info? Seems to me it would only cost "$1.40" to slave those two or three data points directly in front of the driver. Yes it is redundant, but way cheaper than law suits and potential of lost sales due to driver alienation.

What "$1.40" solution are you referring to? Bringing back the instrument panel or HUDs?

Actually, the "eyes off the road" time is shorter using the left upper edge of the landscape screen than your traditional speedometer.

Nobody worry: if you can't see your speedometer in your $35,000 electric car, just park it. The electric car revolution is here! :rolleyes:

I don't share your worry about speedometer failing, which should a rare occurrence.
We haven't even seen the production Model 3 yet, why speculate about the potential failure of one of its component?
The car should still be completely driveable in the rare situation when the screen freezes.

If Tesla once ever acknowledged the Model S issues, I'd be a happy camper and trust Elon again. But, they haven't, so I'm skeptical.

You are absolutely welcome to form your own opinion. I simply don't share your skepticism.

To me, this was my main concern from the launch. I think the display on the steering wheel is the best solution. I don't care if the display turns as the wheel turns, I won't be looking at it as I turn a corner. It's the solution they've come to in Formula One (though wheel is higher in driver's vision and no windscreen for HUD) and it looks pretty clear to me, so long as you ignore all the rest of the buttons!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/08/2670C07500000578-2984561-image-a-33_1425821048646.jpg

Sorry for the Daily Mail link (it's the paper Donald Trump would write for if he were a UK journalist).

Actually, it's probably not my main concern. I want the handling to be good so it feels sporty on twisty roads. Also interested in the size of the boot/froot (trunk/frunk). Not really bothered about autopilot, though would be nice to relax on the motorway (highway) and avoid pedestrians stepping off the pavement (sidewalk) with autobraking. Will be nice not to have to buy expensive UK petrol (gas) or get my hands dirty under the bonnet (hood). I've run out.

Anyhow, most people here (outside of London) have never heard of Tesla, so it needs to be a better version of a normal car to catch on, rather than a novelty. Very few would buy a car with a joystick instead of a steering wheel. Many would laugh at a car that had a joystick instead of a steering wheel.

I personally don't like HUDs. What's the sense of completely getting rid of an instrument cluster to enhance the driver's view, and then cluttering that view with information floating around everywhere within your view??

Unless, they plan to project everything very low on the windshield, so it would almost be like looking at a traditional instrument cluster, only projected, of course. That would make more sense considering they completely flattened out the area where the instrument cluster would be...HUD vs LED or OLED instrument panel would be far cheaper.

So in the end, I guess I wouldn't mind a HUD...but only if they have it projected very low on the windshield.

So for the "HUD vs. steering wheel display" discussion, has anybody considered focal distance?

Earlier, somebody pointed out that the distance a persons eyeballs had to shift from going to the road to the upper-left corner of a center display could be actually less than when glancing at a traditional dash instrument cluster location.

The other aspect is the time it takes eyes to focus: The closer the object, the longer the time for your eyeball to refocus. This is not a linear difference: The time it takes to change focus for the 30' difference from 20' to 50' (nearing the infinity point) is likely less than the time takes to refocus from the 19' difference between the traffic in front of you(@20') to your steering wheel (@1').

This is one of the advantages of a HUD. It can make the display appear to float out in the road in front of you such that you really don't have to either glance away from the road, or refocus your eyballs a significant difference.

The difference in focal distance between dash and steering wheel hub may not seem like much, but at the shallow end of the scale it can be significant.