Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Chinese government is going to love this one. If he doubles down on this as he is wont to do, CCP could make major trouble for Giga Shanghai.
Now we’re getting to the core of why Elon owning Twitter is a potential problem for $TSLA
This does seem problematic. As an avid reader of peer-reviewed scientific literature of the likes
of Science/Nature/PNAS and elsewhere, the weight of the evidence in the COVID "zoonotic origin"
hypothesis vs. "lab leak" theory slants towards the zoonotic origin side.

Here's an introduction in the Science journal of 25 Aug. 2022 by Chinese scientists praising
American authors showing that zoonotic-origin via the Wuhan wet markets outweighs the
lab-leak theory:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.add8384

with the actual science done by Worobey/Rasmussen in the same issue:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8715

So if Musk is really siding with conspiratorial anti-Fauci FUD he is way out over his skis,
because Chinese scientists are already on record with the zoonotic-origin science.

As I've intimated before, Occam's razor points to Musk just cheekily posting this stuff to get a
rise from from anti-bot algorithms he's experimenting with. It's still nasty not to cop to it
though, because lives are at stake whereby Fauci, Pelosi, and others have to have
24/7 armed guards to protect them against gun nuts who are science denialists.

As I've intimated before, Occam's razor points to Musk just cheekily posting this stuff to get a
rise from from anti-bot algorithms he's experimenting with.
No I don't think that is the simplest explanation.

Elon has been this way for quite some time (evident in some ways even before the pandemic).

Just the way it is. In some sense that's good because it means fundamentally, perhaps nothing has changed. Seems to be manifesting a bit more prominently through this particular megaphone though, that's for sure!

Not great in any case. This excuse does give him an easy out in the coming days if he decides he needs it though. (Of course, a disingenuous excuse, even if it is one of the actual reasons for the Tweets.)

This does seem problematic. As an avid reader of peer-reviewed scientific literature of the likes
of Science/Nature/PNAS and elsewhere, the weight of the evidence in the COVID "zoonotic origin"
hypothesis vs. "lab leak" theory slants towards the zoonotic origin side.

Here's an introduction in the Science journal of 25 Aug. 2022 by Chinese scientists praising
American authors showing that zoonotic-origin via the Wuhan wet markets outweighs the
lab-leak theory:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.add8384

with the actual science done by Worobey/Rasmussen in the same issue:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8715

So if Musk is really siding with conspiratorial anti-Fauci FUD he is way out over his skis,
because Chinese scientists are already on record with the zoonotic-origin science.

rise from from anti-bot algorithms he's experimenting with. It's still nasty not to cop to it
though, because lives are at stake whereby Fauci, Pelosi, and others have to have
24/7 armed guards to protect them against gun nuts who are science denialists.
I look forward to the community notes of his tweet.

How badly did Musk's child turning trans burn him ? Seems to have made him completely unhinged.

Esp. considering this ...

Oh. Forgot about that detail.

That makes his ex accusing him of hateful rhetoric make more sense now.

Elon's now promoting this clown: Professor Jay Bhattacharya. Elon responds to his series of whining tweets here: ( ). "Thank you for your rigorous adherence to science"

I keep waiting for the big reveal when Elon says "Isn't it obvious I'm acting the clown just to let these guys hang themselves? No? Guess I fooled you all! Hahahaha!" But I think I'm going to continue to be disappointed.

Bhattacharya is one of the authors of the Great Barrington Declaration. So at least tangentially responsible for vast numbers of COVID deaths due to people believing that claptrap.

Some quotes from the Wikipedia article:
...was a lead author of a serology study released in April which suggested that as many as 80,000 residents of Santa Clara County, California might have already been infected with COVID-19. The study and conduct of the research drew wide criticism for statistical and methodological errors and apparent lack of disclosure of conflicts.

...claimed that "Big tech outlets like Facebook and Google" suppressed "our ideas, falsely deeming them 'misinformation'".

The declaration was sponsored by the American Institute for Economic Research (AIER), a libertarian free market think tank based in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. AIER has published controversial studies with dubious conclusions, such as downplaying the risks of climate change, and arguing that sweatshops are beneficial to their workers. Byline Times journalist Nafeez Ahmed has described the AIER as an "institution embedded in a Koch-funded network that denies climate science while investing in polluting fossil fuel industries".

These seem to be the people Elon is now playing with. WTF?

Incidentally, since I live in Santa Clara County, when that serology study came out I was very concerned. So I looked into it some and decided it was just garbage "research" produced for reasons obviously tied to politics and money. No reputable scientist would have anything to do with stuff like that.

Elon can simply ask his Chinese overlords for all the Wuhan lab information. I am sure they would love to bring it up again.
If I was Paul Pelosi, I would be tempted to camp outside the Twitter office asking to meet Elon.
Would he like the crazies to go after his kids like the do with Fauci's children?

Back on point, you can never tell when Musk will respond on Twitter. Obviously he has so much money he does not care about other folks opinion too much. Will be very interesting to look back in 12 months to see the impact. He made some obvious money saving moves but can he do real management and inspire/train the next level of management?

Back on point, you can never tell when Musk will respond on Twitter. Obviously he has so much money he does not care about other folks opinion too much. Will be very interesting to look back in 12 months to see the impact. He made some obvious money saving moves but can he do real management and inspire/train the next level of management?
I dunno, let's ask Gwynne.

What is going on with all the politics these days in here?
It's true that Elon Musk threatens Twitter File to prosecute Fauci is political but his politics cost Tesla money. The share price has dropped ever since he announced that he would buy Twitter.

By bringing reinforcement from Tesla to help out Twitter has not helped out Tesla stock prices either. As a matter of fact, Tesla employees who helped to implement the verification badge also tanked other stock prices from other companies like Ely Lilly ($22 billion) and Lockheed Martin (more than $7 billion).

This kind of madness has to stop for Tesla. If he wants to mess up his Twitter, that's his right but don't drag Tesla into it.

Please leave Tesla alone!

Last edited:
Look, I don't know the first thing about Mary Barra. I don't even remember what all the fuss was about Lee Iacocca and to be honest I don't even know or care what companies those people were the CEOs of. I probably had their cars, I don't know, don't care. They're all as gross as the next fat cat in a suit.

I don't even know the names of any other automaker CEOs. I don't care, and I don't want to care - they're all scum.

But everyone has a moral line. I certainly wouldn't buy a car - or anything - from Donald Trump. Or Kanye West. Or Steven Miller. Or Rudy Giuliani. Or any other fascist, racist pig seeking to destroy my country. It's not that I want to "cancel" those celebrities from across the internet to teach them a lesson. It's that I wouldn't be human if I didn't at least have a shred of morality and dignity.

I'm biased toward Tesla (and thus Elon) so I'm not there yet, but a startling 100% of my friends, family, co-workers, and strangers have now put Elon solidly in the above category. They look at me slack-jawed as if I have a tiki torch in my hand and I try to explain that he was a little bit less revolting back when I bought the car, but honestly, I can't blame them for judging.

GTFO Elon and GFY.

Needs to get 100x to 1000x better.

Elon realizing his mistake in supporting alt-right has a higher probability.

Vision-only can work. We have humans with just two forward-facing imperfect "cameras" who can do it all the time.

The question is how fast they can get an 8-camera AI to do as well (or actually better, since demonstrably-safer-than-human is the threshold for acceptance).

Alt-right? PizzaGate? Q-dumps from a guy in Singapore? That isn't gonna get turned into honesty... ever.

Is VW getting in the face of people that supported them and saying yeah we will do it again. Is BMW parading around Stormtroopers? Yes people that leave Tesla may go back, but do we want them to leave. For what? So Elon can spew nonsense to bring people wanting to watch a car wreck? He also needs to stop before any healing and forgiving can occur. He doing this same nonsense for years isnt bringing anyone back soon and more likely just push more people away. Its not the short term sales I worry about. It is that 20M cars per year in 2030 that I worry about.

I love Teslas, and think Elon is being utterly moronic in his social media political tribal conspiracy nonsense, which does damage to the product I love and Elon's outstanding engineering work and vision that went into it.

Go ahead - attack me as an absolute "Elon Hater".

Yep - Elon lost the thread. He was doing miracles with moving humanity to alternate energy, electric mobility, solar power, grid storage, reusable spacecraft, missions to mars and then.... he's re-tweeting lies about Pelosi's 85 year old husband and ranting about how hunter biden's dick-pics were taken down - this is what he now thinks is saving humanity.

Sad to see his brilliance fall so far into conspiracy BS

"The future of Civilization" is under threat if we don't all get to see the president's son's dork? Really?

Elon is at his best when he is leading and inspiring. This is what had me so excited back in 2015 when I first became interested in Tesla. I believe in the mission, to bring forward a sustainable future as fast as possible.

These latest public actions are not doing that.

This dilution of the mission is what has me sad about this situation. Tesla, SpaceX, Solar etc. That makes sense. Inspiring.

Twitter is just not that. I don't wake up thinking the world needs more tweets.

I really feel sorry for the Tesla team; they're doing such an amazing job, their on mission and they are why I'm still going with the car.

Buffet one said that you evaluate a company on its fundamentals. My question is: does this represent a fundamental change? Back in 2015 I would have said "hell no" to Elon being ousted as CEO. Now his behaviour is making me stop and consider it. That's not a trend line I want to see continue.

Elon and his allies have a controlling interest at the board, so any attempt will fail.

What is needed is for those within Tesla who have built mechanisms and processes to help restrain his worst instincts and harness his brilliance - they need to scale up and find ways to convince him to deputize someone to run Tesla for him while he vents his tribal political spleen on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Oh, one of those moral inconsistencies for @aubreymcfato from a person who wields significant power. Arguably a person with more power than Elon, since it’s life and death power.
Again, I don't know what Fauci did: I live in Italy and when we were in a *real* lockdown people on this forum were claiming that COVID was a nothingburger...
I tend to think - the world is full of grey areas, right? - that context is king. Nobody in the world had the right amount of informaiton regarding COVID, in the first months of 2020.
I forgave easily Elon for his tweet (the one that said that COVID was to disappear in May), because nobody had all the info. He was very wrong, and even admitted so. (Incidentally, even Elon had actually life and death power, albeit in a much much smaller scale, regarding his plant workers...)

I can easily forgive Fauci to say a noble lie in times of crisis - as a lot of people in power did, in my country too - for letting health workers get their masks in the first wave and in the midst of the panic. I don't find it extreme: different is if he lied about other things at later and more informed stages of the pandemic.

In the end, I don't know about other things Fauci did. He may well have made wrong calls, it was sort of inevitable. He will bu judged by history.
Personally, I forgive kinda everybody's opinion in those first weeks, Elon's included (and a lot of TMC folks who disregarded my own testimony in March...).

Status
Not open for further replies.