Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps to a large extent, though, that assumes customers are value or liability oriented. Not all probably are.

Also, not responding to @Matias but overall it needs to be said: it is certainly still possible Tesla changes their mind on this - or even that the Germans will. We shall see.

But the biggest thing for me is, the events of the past year are simply clouding the Level 3+ future of Tesla for me. I don't necessarily know what I thought of it before exactly, but by now I do know the visibility is very low.

I have a hard time seeing how a eyes off or mind off - i.e. one where Tesla says you don't have to look at the road - Tesla AP2 would roll out and when. Do you guys get what I mean by that? You bulls, any thoughts as to how and when you think that might happen?

Mind you, I'm not saying it won't happen. But it seems vague and potentially distant the how and when part to me.

In terms of how I see this happening: gradually, in stages.

First they release an update to follow navigation directions on freeway(there's kind of a quantum leap there, since automatic lane changing is pretty useless unless the car knows where it's trying to get to). Then they collect data. They use that data to train the system allowing it to generalize to more situations(generalization is the main issue right now on freeways. If every freeway were like the ones local to me, there'd be no issue turning off nags entirely) and gradually let the nags go longer. Eventually they gain enough confidence that the system understands its surroundings enough to turn off the nags entirely and just provide a window for taking over in any situation the car can't handle(likely relying on a trained confidence measure). An easy way to differentiate FSD here is to only disable said nags for people who paid for FSD.

How long this all takes depends on how much data they can gather(should be rapid) and how good their AI developers are.

I think at this point Elon is pretty busy with the Model 3 unveiling. From the other firmware thread, I'm guessing even if they have some EAP or FSD firmware up their sleeve they would time it well with the Model 3 release (maximize the PR value).

So glad this did NOT happen!!!! I think the days of announcing more vapor ware at public announcements is behind us as it should be.

Announce it when it is ready not when you thought about it while taking a shower.

So glad this did NOT happen!!!! I think the days of announcing more vapor ware at public announcements is behind us as it should be.

Announce it when it is ready not when you thought about it while taking a shower.
To clarify I didn't mean announcing it at same event. I mean they would time it when there are slower news days such that they maximize the coverage. There's enough for the press to cover on Model 3 alone (I'm still digesting all the new information; there's a lot).

I feel like it wouldn't be crazy at all to expect a feature like "Park Seek Mode"/more updates with Summon in the next major software update this fall (9.0). It doesn't involve road traffic and not "dangerous". So to me, it seems logical. I hope so. Would love to go to a mall or something and give it a try.

I feel like it wouldn't be crazy at all to expect a feature like "Park Seek Mode"/more updates with Summon in the next major software update this fall (9.0). It doesn't involve road traffic and not "dangerous". So to me, it seems logical. I hope so. Would love to go to a mall or something and give it a try.

Park seek mode I don't think will happen, to much liability.

Until FSD is a reality, an unattended car driving around a lot searching for a space just isn't realistic. What if someone runs into it, god for it it had an error and hit something itself? Until they have FSD perfect and parking perfect there really is no way to just let the car go off and find a spot. Who's responsible for what happpens? And that point I would guess Tesla hence to much liability to release something like that yet.

Reactions: davidc18
Until FSD is a reality, an unattended car driving around a lot searching for a space just isn't realistic. What if someone runs into it, god for it it had an error and hit something itself? Until they have FSD perfect and parking perfect there really is no way to just let the car go off and find a spot. Who's responsible for what happpens? And that point I would guess Tesla hence to much liability to release something like that yet.

The driver/owner of the vehicle is responsible I would feel. Plus navigating in a parking lot would be less dangerous than unleashing FSD out in traffic untested. Technically you would have it in "Beta". The sensors on AP2 Hardware is suffice. Just like in the demo video, if the car sees a person it stops until they pass.

You have to collect data to make it smarter and smarter and better at doing said job, in this case, looking for parking in a lot and summoning to you at the entrance. So I mean at some point they will have to release it, put a warning on it like with Autopilot, and then have at it.

Plus releasing "smaller" features progressively would make FSD better and better.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and Doctt
The driver/owner of the vehicle is responsible I would feel. Plus navigating in a parking lot would be less dangerous than unleashing FSD out in traffic untested. Technically you would have it in "Beta". The sensors on AP2 Hardware is suffice. Just like in the demo video, if the car sees a person it stops until they pass.

You have to collect data to make it smarter and smarter and better at doing said job, in this case, looking for parking in a lot and summoning to you at the entrance. So I mean at some point they will have to release it, put a warning on it like with Autopilot, and then have at it.

Plus releasing "smaller" features progressively would make FSD better and better.
I respectfully disagree. You are in your car when engaging autopilot. You can take over if needed

Having the car drive itself to look for parking spot is way too dangerous. No one can stop the car when something goes wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: davidc18 and Bebop
2v2cos0.png

Tomorrow officially makes it 6 months. We see no FSD features nor even EAP features, we only see the struggle to match AP1 parity. If FSD or even EAP were on the horizon and coming in the next update, you would see alot of hype coming from Elon like he always has. But we have crickets.

What in the world is going on at Tesla HQ?

I think i lucked out by canceling my Model 3 preorder and didn't exchange preorders with someone high on the list for 2k like i planned in October after the AP2 announcement.

Definitely = precise, exact, certain, sure, conclusive, firm, concrete, unmistakable, absolutely, without doubt, without question

There's still no EAP features. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.
This is after 10 months.10 months ppl!

For the love of all that is good, stop over-promising and under-delivering... the constant disappointments are amazing.

i mean am i the only one who feel this way? like just deliver and stop the constant hype?

Ha... reminds of me of the Trump quote.... "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated." let's hope FSD is still doable.

It's funny, I was at the model 3 launch, and during the presentation, I remember Elon saying something about being able to fall asleep in the car one day while using autopilot.... There were two guys in front of me who turned and looked at each other disapprovingly.

I thought to myself, those two must be lawyers.

I imagine Elon's legal team popping another Tums whenever a tweet goes out.

The thing about Audi isn't what the first release is limited to do, it is what it is a culmination of. It is the first release of Audi's self-driving car, something they've been working on for a decade. They are conservative with the setup - because unlike Tesla, they actually take legal responsibility for the car's driving - but the platform is already shown (to journalists) to be capable of much more.

Fair enough

The new Audi A8 will also go on sale much sooner than 7-8 months.

Actually I thought it won't be on sale in the U.S. until 2018 calendar year - not this fall. And in Europe where it does go on sale this fall it isn't getting the Level 3 switched on yet - at least I believe that's what I read. So, I believed that the US is the first market in which the A8 will actually be Level 3 - 7 or 8 months from now. No?

It seems perfectly reasonable that Audi has some institutional knowledge and some AI knowledge which Tesla lacks - due to that long research history. On the other hand - Elon has a personal history of upending long-standing players in areas one would think he lacks relevant knowledge. Rocket science? Electric cars? Look at MBZ - they've been at the autonomous driving research game longer than anyone else - over 20 years I believe. Yet recently they appear to have largely thrown in the towel on their own research efforts and thrown in their lot with the relatively new, less supervised deep learning methods enabled by very recent developments in computing hardware.

Given these developments and the recent shift in how self driving is approached as an AI problem - I'm not sure how valuable many years of in-house research actually is.

Deep learning has upset more than a few apple carts and made irrelevant some lifetimes of research. There's a great debate in linguistics between Noam Chomsky on the side of the "elegant framework" camp and Peter Norvig and others on the deep learning camp. Chomsky is the God of Linguistics for the last 50 years - yet his theories and his followers have never managed to produce anything of use (or even an actual translation framework). A few years of neural networks recently enabled by fast chips and the deep learning crews are translating languages in real time.

Chomsky turns up his nose at this - but they're getting work done.

I respectfully disagree. You are in your car when engaging autopilot. You can take over if needed

Having the car drive itself to look for parking spot is way too dangerous. No one can stop the car when something goes wrong.

But the car isn't going 75mph like on the highway, at most probably like 5mph roaming the parking lot. Even IF you got hit it would be tap compared to getting hit at highway speeds.

Plus it has sensors all around the car. It really isn't as dangerous as you make it seem. Have you stepped in front of one while it was in motion say summoning out of your garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.