Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Bromance with Cheeto Jesus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one here who's uncomfortable with Elon's seemingly budding bromance with Cheeto Jesus (aka President of the United States whom I'll never call by name)? The cozier it gets, the more concerned I become... What exactly is Elon's motive here? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Jeff

My view (standard) is to strive to treat everyone with respect, regardless of their behaviour or deeds. EM seems to be doing that.

Treating someone with respect does not always imply that the other party is held in high esteem or that some of their despicable behaviour is condoned. It simply means that each one of us sets our own personal standards, the other party has no say in setting those.

I am glad that Elon got a seat at Manufacturing Council and as Strategic Advisor with the current administration. I hope that he can positively influence infrastructure projects such as grid upgrades with energy storage and hyperloop projects.

I also see a lot of risk to Tesla brand in getting CEO associated with the administration which many people perceive not aligned with Tesla mission or values. The risk is Elon's to take (or not take) and manage the best he can, it comes with the job.

DT seems to perceive simple disagreements or unfavourable facts (Obama's larger crowd size) as disrespect. That presents great challenges. I am hopeful that Elon will handle his new challenges as well as the past ones.

You will find that the term redneck is used far more broadly than North America. So your statement about it being a national or geographical reference is false. The term redneck is used in Australia where I am from and as a previous poster has pointed out would fall afoul of our racial vilification laws.

That said I am a believer that offense is taken and not given. My point here is that if you want to call out people for racism the sword cuts both ways. President Trump does not deserve to be ridiculed for the colour of his skin any more than President Obama does but for some reason in the tangled mess of ill-logic that forms the the leftist collective intellect it is acceptable. Can someone please explain why...
I think because Obama's colour didn't come out of a bottle.
Trump seems willfully orange.

Your Constitution was established with the state delegate system so as to stop the larger more populous states overpowering the smaller states.
In fact that was only part of the reason. The other part is to prevent someone who is unqualified to be president from gaining the office. Unfortunately it obviously failed it's intended roll.

As Alexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.”

The Reason for the Electoral College

There is another racist term that is used proudly by the affected community in the US. Ill leave it to you to have a think about that. It's all about intent.

It's not even close to the same. I don't think you'll find a popular line of clothing labelled "N-word" Nation.
Redneck Nation

Come on. I was fairly clear about the mocking being associated with the guys handicap and not just generic mocking. Using grade school mocking gestures is A LOT less offensive than mocking someone's disability. You're working so hard to twist my point.

Again, you cannot know what Trump was thinking while mocking that reporter. It is entirely possible that he was mocking his handicap. It's also possible that he was not, but you can't say definitively so. It certainly appeared to many people that he was.

None of those links are an actual effort to amend the constitution , just efforts to win in the swing and essentially "hack the system" to effectively bring about a popular vote without actually changing the constitution.
So they fall into the categories of "complaining, protesting, and vandalism" then? Or do you concede that efforts are underway and people are working? That's the point I was addressing. You now have the opportunity to own your argument and admit that you were exaggerating for effect, or, less ominously, were just plain wrong. I'll keep it short so we can sort this point out.

Then, we can discuss what the first steps are in a fight to change the Constitution. Is a Republican majority going to be supportive in abolishing a system that favors them, or do we begin by winning in the swing, getting people elected who are at a detriment to the system, and then making a change? And, as insurance, look at other ways to work on the system as insurance in case those don't work or at least don't work quickly enough?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Canuck and bonnie
The thing I don't understand about Trump supporters is why they want us to show respect towards him, when he has gone great lengths to insult any and everyone, even things that are sacred to America like veterans and civil rights leaders. Obama had been called far worse things and never lashed out against anyone on Twitter.

On topic: as much as pains me, I am with Elon in this one. Small hands will be around 4 or 8 yrs max, but Tesla, Climate change, and move towards sustainable energy go beyond that.

Am I the only one here who's uncomfortable with Elon's seemingly budding bromance with Cheeto Jesus (aka President of the United States whom I'll never call by name)? The cozier it gets, the more concerned I become... What exactly is Elon's motive here? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Jeff
I will say that as I see terrible policies being enacted that I have started to lose some of my passion for the Tesla mission because of the association. I have cousins who were to adopt two girls from DR Congo in the middle of February and that has now been put on hold indefinitely because of the refugee ban. The girls have been living in a refugee camp in Uganda for eight years. The ban breaks my heart to know they are stuck there when their situation was so close to improving.
I was somewhat heartened to see Mr. Musk speak against the refugee policy tonight on twitter. This restores some of my faith in him.

Reactions: ModelX
I will say that as I see terrible policies being enacted that I have started to lose some of my passion for the Tesla mission because of the association. I have cousins who were to adopt two girls from DR Congo in the middle of February and that has now been put on hold indefinitely because of the refugee ban. The girls have been living in a refugee camp in Uganda for eight years. The ban breaks my heart to know they are stuck there when their situation was so close to improving.
I was somewhat heartened to see Mr. Musk speak against the refugee policy tonight on twitter. This restores some of my faith in him.

The countries on the temporary ban are...

The executive order bars all people hailing from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen

So they fall into the categories of "complaining, protesting, and vandalism" then? Or do you concede that efforts are underway and people are working? That's the point I was addressing. You now have the opportunity to own your argument and admit that you were exaggerating for effect, or, less ominously, were just plain wrong. I'll keep it short so we can sort this point out.

Then, we can discuss what the first steps are in a fight to change the Constitution. Is a Republican majority going to be supportive in abolishing a system that favors them, or do we begin by winning in the swing, getting people elected who are at a detriment to the system, and then making a change? And, as insurance, look at other ways to work on the system as insurance in case those don't work or at least don't work quickly enough?

In California, we gerrymander our districts and have modified closed primaries to keep final balloting pure. I'm pretty sure that's what the goal is; for the whole nation to be a one party state with Presidents for Life like FDR.

If Madonna and other intellectuals get their way, other countries might think we abandoned democracy and the concept of 'united states', but they would be wrong. We would not abandon elections, we would just make them like the USSR elections. A public demonstration that we still own balloting equipment. And we would still have states so we could have college football. Not sure they would have governors however.

Jeff

Based on this comment this movie is coming true.

Sun Tzu:
是故百戰百勝,非善之善者也;不戰而屈人之兵,善之善者也。
  • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
  • Elon (Luke Wilson) is a strategist who isn't failing for the main stream media crap. The crowd represents the liberals whining about free stuff.

Last edited:
You do know the complete story about this reporter backtracking out of story he wrote in order to cast Trump in a negative light, right? As with many instances with Trump, once attacked he doesn't hold back in responding.

I was all ready to not vote at all this past election - mostly because I believed that mocking story. It looked damning. Of course, I didn't know about him using this gesture several times before. Certainly the media knew about these prior Trump gestures - they filmed the events. So, we have the media actively editing, selecting and slanting the news in order to disparage Trump. He only appeared to be mocking if you didn't view the other prior videos of him using the same gestures and goofy expressions.

I just want someone with intellectual honesty to explain why Trump used those same goofy gestures aimed at other non-handicapped people. It takes 30 seconds to do a Google search to find these videos.

George Orwell would be proud - Doublespeak in action.