Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency lane assist doing my head in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i live in a rural area of mainly single track roads.

Bit of an issue I am finding is that the tesla keeps thinking I have fallen asleep at the wheel.

There are a few passing spaces that I regularly end up in that set of a cacophany of chimes and corrective movements from the wheel. Dangerous and distracting... and putting my wife right off driving the car at all.

I can turn this off..... BUT IT RESETS EVERY SINGLE JOURNEY!

It is a minor hassle having to go through the menus to turn this off every time i stop the car... but I often forget and get the full on emergency beeping nonsense 1 or 2 times on the way home.

Just checking - are all modern cars doing this now through some sort of directive? I can see why they want to reset it from a safety perspective... but this is literally making me less safe on my daily commute and i would like to have the option to turn it off for good.

Ideally the car would recognise it is on a single track road in the first place of course... but it clearly doesn't.

I know it can be infuriating. My previous car had the same functionality but threw up fewer false alarms than my Tesla does. You could also not turn it off permanently, not sure if that's a legal thing or to keep the NCAP star rating up for marketing purposes.

I used to get this alot on country roads and notice that it is when the edge of the road is overgrown/uneven.
It is vastly reduced with recent updates but have never noticed steering correction although the alarm does suggest it has done.
Was in Cornwall a few weeks ago on roads like the OP describes but it never went off once.

Might need a service visit if its as bad as he is describing.

a man should be entitled to throw his car into a hedge whenever he feels the need, especially on a country lane as you say.

nanny state. useful in the 1/100,000 scenario, pain in the ass otherwise. On recent VW Passat and BMW 6, you could turn all that crap off.

I used to get this alot on country roads and notice that it is when the edge of the road is overgrown/uneven.
It is vastly reduced with recent updates but have never noticed steering correction although the alarm does suggest it has done.
Was in Cornwall a few weeks ago on roads like the OP describes but it never went off once.

Might need a service visit if its as bad as he is describing.

I think you are right - the passing spaces i am talking about have indistinct borders/ tallish grass at their edges more so than others that don't trigger the warning.

These are very rural roads in Scotland and I wouldn't be surprised if they were in considerably worse nick than the kind you might find even in Cornwall.

A long time ago, the workers responsible for making the majority of our country roads here in France decided that it was not necessary to make them wider than two Citroen 2CV's would need. To update this situation to modern standards would obviously require agreement between at least fifteen different departments and a good percentage of the currently, 5.3 million civil servants - I kid you not, that's how many there are. Of course, this means that when two modern cars meet, both have to take to the verges and the locals are quite skilled at doing this at 80 kph. The infuriating thing for me is that sometimes nothing happens but other times there is the chiming, screaming, wheel moving palaver that has passengers shouting in fear of their lives. I have tried to turn it all off but can't so like a number of other things on the car, I'm just living with it.

Bit of an issue I am finding is that the tesla keeps thinking I have fallen asleep at the wheel.

There are a few passing spaces that I regularly end up in that set of a cacophany of chimes and corrective movements from the wheel. Dangerous and distracting... and putting my wife right off driving the car at all.

It is a minor hassle having to go through the menus to turn this off every time i stop the car... but I often forget and get the full on emergency beeping nonsense 1 or 2 times on the way home.

Just checking - are all modern cars doing this now through some sort of directive? I can see why they want to reset it from a safety perspective... but this is literally making me less safe on my daily commute and i would like to have the option to turn it off for good.

Ideally the car would recognise it is on a single track road in the first place of course... but it clearly doesn't.

A few software versions ago I had a real problem with this but after a subsequent update it hasn't been an issue. I also use single track roads and roads where cars can only pass each other with extreme care. I haven't recently had a spurious warning. I do wonder if there might be something more going on with your car? See what others think but it just might be worth a service query.

A few software versions ago I had a real problem with this but after a subsequent update it hasn't been an issue. I also use single track roads and roads where cars can only pass each other with extreme care. I haven't recently had a spurious warning. I do wonder if there might be something more going on with your car? See what others think but it just might be worth a service query.
I second that. As you know I was also driving around your area in the Borders, on lovely single track roads at your suggestion, a couple of weeks ago, and I didn’t have one alarm or steering correction. Perhaps the OP needs to try them at 50mph rather than 80 ;)

Does it really reset every journey, or is it a case that the setting isn't being saved to the profile? (or is being saved to Easy Entry)

I noticed that little issue when i would get in the car and it would try and navigate me to work every time (Automatic Navigation), but when I checked it was already switched off. Turned out it was enabled on Easy Entry profile, and disabled on mine, but of course it would start navigation as soon as I sat down, before it switched profiles.

Lol.

Single.

Track.

Road.
What's your point? I'm 99% sure that even on a single track road if you use the turn signal, the car won't complain when it thinks you are leaving your lane because it will understand that it is intentional.

Sure, you might confuse the other drivers, but your car will be happy.

I agree Tesla should fix whatever bug is causing the off setting to not stick. I'm just saying that using your turn signal is a better solution than taping a photograph in front of the cars camera.

Last edited:
What's your point? I'm 99% sure that even on a single track road if you use the turn signal, the car won't complain when it thinks you are leaving your lane because it will understand that it is intentional.

Sure, you might confuse the other drivers, but your car will be happy.

I agree Tesla should fix whatever bug is causing the off setting to not stick. I'm just saying that using your turn signal is a better solution than taping a photograph in front of the cars camera.
There are no lane markings mate... it is a single track road. I cant flash my indicators every time I go through a passing space (every 20 seconds approx)!

Yeah, like this, we have lots of these in Scotland :)

1200px-Scotland_Kinlochewe_SingleTrackRoad.jpg

Please tell me it's possible to switch off lane departure warning, I "straighten the curves" all the time including being on the "wrong" side of the road often, because it's safer to do so (avoiding potholes and ragged road edges) on many roads around here. With good forward and rear visibility, obvs.

Im just grateful it gives an option for warning rather than straight corrective action. I test drove an e Niro and the default is corrective steering, nearly threw me into oncoming traffic on a number of occasions. Thankfully haven’t actually had any issues in the 5 months I’ve had the tesla.