Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Endorse my letter to Tesla for supporting 3-phase charging for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My package got delivered to the UK office and within 12 hours I had a response from Palo Alto!

They saw my tweet and all the re-tweets? Could be?

Dear Wido den Hollander,

We received your letter and package regarding 3-phase charging for Model S. Thank you for assembling a thoughtful presentation. We are sharing your presentation with technical leaders within Tesla and will reply formally to your recommendations after a full review.

Thanks again for your interest and support.

This e-mail also got CC'ed to George Blankenship, so I'm curious what is going to happen next!

I'm hopeful they can get you what the European market needs. If it adds a few thousand dollars to the base price, is that something you think the European market would accept (I'm just making up the price increase since I have no idea what the changes would cost)?

I'm hopeful they can get you what the European market needs. If it adds a few thousand dollars to the base price, is that something you think the European market would accept (I'm just making up the price increase since I have no idea what the changes would cost)?
Do you mean in addtion to the extra price they are claiming for the European version or as part of Tesla's margins. When they are talking about the good expected margins in Europe that is us paying more for essentially the same car. After all if the BASE price is below $70 000 here in Norway I will be a happy camper. No one believes they will go for $60 000 here.

Cobos

The simplest and most expensive three phase charger imaginable would consist of three separate single-phase chargers, one for each phase. This requires zero engineering, but is enormously expensive compared to what's possible, because you throw away the three phase advantage of smoother rectifier output and need all components in triplicate. For comparison, the rectifier stage of a three phase charger is one and a half single phase rectifier, not three, and less than half as much total smoothing capacity is needed.

If the simplest solution is chosen, the cost would be three times the standard charger. If they build a real three phase charger (or source one), the cost might be something like 50% higher for the same amperage, but a good bit less per kW. A 32 A three phase charger would probably cost less than the standard charger.

For me, this is a question of whether I can buy it at all or not, so I'd be willing to pay more. The problem is that with the 300 mile battery, the car will be quite expensive already, and there is a limit to what I can pay.

Last edited:
The simplest and most expensive three phase charger imaginable would consist of three separate single-phase chargers, one for each phase. This requires zero engineering, but is enormously expensive compared to what's possible, because you throw away the three phase advantage of smoother rectifier output and need all components in triplicate. For comparison, the rectifier stage of a three phase charger is one and a half single phase rectifier, not three, and less than half as much total smoothing capacity is needed.

If the simplest solution is chosen, the cost would be three times the standard charger. If they build a real three phase charger (or source one), the cost might be something like 50% higher for the same amperage, but a good bit less per kW. A 32 A three phase charger would probably cost less than the standard charger.

For me, this is a question of wether I can buy it at all or not, so I'd be willing to pay more. The problem is that with the 300 mile battery, the car will be quite expensive already, and there is a limit to what I can pay.

I guess that's for another thread, but it made me wonder whether you could just have a 3-phase rectifier and feed the output to the AC input of the car's charger. It will just get re-rectified, if it doesn't require a sine input. So you would just need the diodes (or any modern replacement thereof) as an external adapter. But then, this thread is supposed to be about the letter and response itself.

unfortunately, i couldn't make it for the Model X unveiling. Otherwise I would ask JB Straubel about your letter and again about 3-phase charging. Making a triple-charger instead of a twin-charger seems very easy. Will cost just $1500 over the twin-charger?