Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it going to get worse in CA when they implement the rates for Electricity based on income and not how much you use?

That's not how that proposal worked.

Per kWh electric rates still existed under that proposal, and actually went DOWN. The whole point was to make electrification cheaper for everyone, and lower kWh costs. It would be amazing for people and businesses with electric cars.

What it did was make the infrastructure part of the bill variant on income. Currently the infrastructure charge is built into the kWh rate, even though the infrastructure costs the same if it delivers 5kWh or 200kWh to your house each day. This proposal would make the infrastructure charge more like a property tax and the align the per kWh charge more with the actual incremental cost of generation.

Also, that proposal has been rejected and is not going forward.

Turn down the Fox news and dig a bit into the actual policies.

Isn't it going to get worse in CA when they implement the rates for Electricity based on income and not how much you use?
That has nothing to do with my trip to South Carolina.

To clarify, the proposal is for a fixed rate and if I can demonstrate lower income, I won't pay the expected $24 a month versus the $13 I pay now. $250 a year is not bad for for the used of the grid as a 1.5 mWh battery like I do in the winter. I also just found out some states already charge a fixed feed more than the California proposal so it is not the end of the world for me.

Last edited:
Check to see how far apart the superchargers are on your intended route.
I have already done many road trips and know there are plenty of Superchargers along the Interstate. My concern is that they will not be maintained like they were and will be worse than Electrify America stations. I did buy an adapter so I can use CCS stations if needed.

Reactions: cwerdna and MD70
he could have seen how successful Nio's battery swapping network was. He may be planning to do the same with Tesla.
Watch some of Munro Live videos on battery removal. It's not trivial. Tesla would have to make major changes to swap batteries. With all the other things going on at Tesla, I'd be very surprised it that happens.

While there, he could have seen how successful Nio's battery swapping network was. He may be planning to do the same with Tesla. When Tesla began that idea was considered but dropped. Nio has proved it is successful.
Elon first sold me on the idea that teslas are supposed to be a forever car, but the newer ones they have made like the 4680 model y goes to show they want a forever replacement car where it becomes impossible to repair anything.
057 technologies said they tried to look at a 4680 battery model y, saw the new design and realized they can't work on newer cars.

I think a lot of people felt that way already and this episode serves to reinforce that. The last time a Tesla recruiter asked me if I was interested in a job opening my response to her was, “no way in hell would I work for Elon.”
I should also point out, 6 months later that entire software team was laid off (as was that particular recruiter). It’s a shame too because it would be cool to work on software I use everyday and care so much about and I’m a perfect match for that job but it’s just not worth the risk.

I'll say this. For the first time ever, I have lost faith in Tesla as a company. I was behind and supportive of Tesla since the first Roadsters were launched. But lately, there has been nothing from Tesla that I'm excited or enthusiastic about. I've been moving away from Tesla in terms of what vehicles I drive. Tesla doesn't really have any vehicles I'm really interested in right now. The one thing that I thought Tesla was really strong on right now was the charging network, poised to possibly become the North American sole supplier of EV charging. But they just stabbed themselves in the face on that. I think Elon has become reckless and a liability to the company. I'm selling the remaining stock I have in Tesla. After being a big Tesla supporter for about the last 14 years, I just don't think there is any magic left.

I believe, there are two general ways to see the Tesla SC team situation. First is that the sudden dissolving of a large department and removing all contacts overnight should point to some internal top-to-the bottom problems with the department such as, for example, widespread kickbacks. Musk alone without talks to c-suite, HR, and IT people could not orchestrate this, unless you believe he is a superhuman, or super-anti-human, whichever you prefer. And that brings us to the second way of looking at the situation, which is never-Tesla-again, Elon is an evil, etc. see below...

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
I believe, there are two general ways to see the Tesla SC team situation. First is that the sudden dissolving of a large department and removing all contacts overnight should point to some internal top-to-the bottom problems with the department such as, for example, widespread kickbacks. Musk alone without talks to c-suite, HR, and IT people could not orchestrate this, unless you believe he is a superhuman, or super-anti-human, whichever you prefer. And that brings us to the second way of looking at the situation, which is never-Tesla-again, Elon is an evil, etc. see below...
Speaking of HR, the head of HR itself quit a day or two after. Perhaps he didn’t take to her about it.

Reactions: KJD
Elon first sold me on the idea that teslas are supposed to be a forever car…
Don’t recall that. But I do recall a car company (Volvo?) a few decades ago floating the idea of what it would take to make a car last “forever”. Two main problems presented themselves…

1) The car would cost several times what a conventional car would cost, due largely to the cost involved in “forever” materials and components, and,

2) How many people would actually want to drive the same car for 30 years? Or would anyone be happy driving a car with 1950’s technology into the 1980’s?

Of course, the fact that there’s a whole category of classic cars running around that shows that cars can already last “forever” given proper care and attention.

Edited to add: This reminded me of an anecdote about Henry Ford and how well his cars should be built, often used as an anecdote when discussing parsimony in evolution. For your consideration: The legend of Henry Ford's kingpins in evolutionary biology

Last edited:
Good video.

As I noted in an earlier post, Tesla has not accompanied the Supercharger layoffs with responsibly communicating its future plans to its customers who rely on the network. Based on what we know, and as further indicated in the video, it also has not responsibly communicated its plans to other auto manufacturers who have signed onto the Supercharger network or to the various suppliers and partners who are/were working on developing Supercharger locations; indeed, those remaining at Tesla do not even know how to get into contact with those partners or how to pay bills that are owing. Nor has Tesla responsibly communicated its plans about a key part of its technical infrastructure to its investors.

Whatever the ultimate reason for and outcome of this change, it also matters how it is done. The arbitrary and chaotic manner it is happening reflects very poorly on the leadership of Tesla and undermines confidence of those who might consider dealing with the company in the future, whether as customers, employees, suppliers, investors or business partners.
^^^ this, coupled with the fact that the macro environment now is very much different than it was in 2019, the last time we saw major layoffs at Tesla performed in a similar manner. The fanboy base seems to be justifying this methodology as how Silicon Valley companies do these types of things, or this is how Musk executes on these sorts of genius approaches to layoffs that, despite the seemingly bad perception/look, actually work out for the best over the long term - as doing so accelerates the growth curve for innovation. That may or may not be true - and while this approach has worked in times past, when Tesla was the only game in town, the macro environment is very much different today. Consumers have a wealth of other options to choose from now. Norway, perhaps the most progressive BEV adopter country on earth by the numbers, just published the following April 2024 BEV sales data:

1715007591395.png

While the layoffs didn't occur until late April timeframe, there's an argument to be made that the Tesla platforms/models are aging, and even though Tesla takes a somewhat different approach to improving their vehicles iteratively over time since they are SDVs, the look of the vehicles has not changed much if at all over time. This perception, especially in the MSM, results in consumers, especially traditional consumers, seeing the Tesla models as aging and out of date. Perception is reality, especially for a company that outright refuses to educate/advertise on any meaningful scale. The above sales data is likely predictive for other countries in the EU, and likely why we're seeing falling sales volumes here in the US markets - and even in China. Couple this with the controversial nature of the Tesla CEO - who is politicizing himself quite a bit via X on a near daily basis - which by definition polarizes his reputational aspects - and likely alienates both existing and prospective customers in the process - and it's not hard to see why the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Yes there are macroeconomics in play as well, without a doubt, but it's not just macroeconomics, it's a combination of things. Musk is likely looking at some really bad Q2 numbers behind the scenes, otherwise he wouldn't be cutting as deeply as he's cutting with these layoffs. He's the type that has already admitted that if you don't have to hire back, then you didn't cut deep enough in the first place. Again, controversial without a doubt, and to the markets and to prospective customers, it's not a good look. Where this goes from here is really anyone's guess. I remain skeptical that this is going to work out in Musk's favor given Tesla is no longer the only game in town, and if traditional consumers get the message from the MSM that things at Tesla are unstable, they will simply spend their dollars elsewhere. Volvo/Polestar are owned by Geely (China BEV manufacturer), so expect more of what we see in the sales chart above in the EU, and eventually here in the US, not less. Chinese BEV manufacturers are Tesla's primary competition in reality, and we're starting to see what Musk has likely feared for the past few years now, happening in Norway, and coming soon to theatres near all of us.

As it relates to the topic at hand - cutting the entire SC team - definitely doesn't send the right message in the current environment. Perception is reality, and the perception given is that something is wrong within Tesla now. That is how the MSM is portraying this recent move:

Back in 2019, Tesla was pretty much the only game in town, so it really didn't matter how they treated their employees, or how they handled layoffs - they were on the verge of a major upswing in sales with the M3 mass market model. Fast forward to today, after having built the premiere SC network world-wide, and with competition releasing mass market BEVs almost every week that compete directly with aging Tesla models, and the market leader kills off it's entire SC team in a mass layoff, and, literally today, is supposedly laying off thousands more employees - and it's not even remotely a good look - the reality is it's a really bad look - and everyone is watching this time around.

Last edited:
Elon is headstrong and seems impulsive, that's not new. His impulses have turned out well in the past, but that does not guarantee they always will. None of us here know what's going on within, so any predictions are guesses, some above are naive (not all). Where Tesla was not profitable for almost a decade, it has been for quite a few years now, that may have emboldened Elon. And I worry about the Twitter/X distraction. Fingers crossed, time will tell...

Where Tesla was not profitable for almost a decade, it has been for quite a few years now, that may have emboldened Elon.
Look at this profitable machine. Let's change it!

It's hard to see Elon as more complex than "sales are down 20%, so lets reduce headcount by 20%." Zero strategy there, just as long as by mid quarter, 20% of people are gone, and think of how just firing a whole division is the "easy button" version of that. The other easy button is that Tesla is firing people without even telling their managers.

It's not clear what Elon has been "emboldened" to do because they are profitable that he couldn't do if they were losing money? Apparently this is firing people?