Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should at least be anchor points in the back that can be used with a cable lock to secure items when this happens.

A broken window is one thing, Losing valuables is even worse. It’s not always an option to leave valuables at home or take them in.

Reactions: EVnut
There should at least be anchor points in the back that can be used with a cable lock to secure items when this happens.

A broken window is one thing, Losing valuables is even worse. It’s not always an option to leave valuables at home or take them in.
Full agreement, of course. I can lose the window, I can't lose my cargo. And what I've done is to add my own "anchor points" to which I don't lock my cargo, I lock the rear seats. (And don't tell anybody, but I've also made my windows MUCH more difficult to break.) Yes, the thieves can still cost me money, but I now can guarantee that they'll be wasting plenty of time trying to do a repeat performance on my car.

Seems like there are a lot of videos from Florida... Not just a California situation.
Getting a bit tiresome to hear that *most* of these are in unlocked cars. And then in other videos we hear how 70% of them have valuables in view. None of this matches what *I* keep seeing, and what I experienced with my own car.

NOTHING visible, and the car certainly locked.

Seems like a crime of opportunity and there is no way to deter that.

What about applying something that is a little flexible and strong yet clear and heals itself to the qtr class? Hmm. PPF.

My Local Installer actually thought of it so give credit to him.

Let’s call it the qtr window fix.

I was initially going to get carbon fiber themed Vinyl and apply it to both, inside and outside of the glass, to make it seem like a solid piece.

This would probably ensure that the perps will for sure break the side glass and not the qtr glass.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Seems like a crime of opportunity and there is no way to deter that.

What about applying something that is a little flexible and strong yet clear and heals itself to the qtr class? Hmm. PPF.

My Local Installer actually thought of it so give credit to him.
Sounds like you have a sharp installer!

I'm happy and somewhat giddy to mention that I not only imagined this solution a while back even before my window was first smashed (and posted it here <grin>) but I have also gone the extra step of actually doing it. Installed myself because my local installers thought I was nuts to put PPF on a window. I'm quite happy with the results. Nobody can tell it is on there, and I'll bet it keeps the scumbag entertained for a bit. And if smashed it should hang together REALLY well with security tint on the inside, and PPF on the outside (honestly, the security tint seems to be PPF as well) I only wish that I had a test piece of that glass to test for myself how it responds to a center punch now.

I so wanted to use the 0.030 Xpel headlight protection, but those sheets are only sold to "certified pros". Thickest sheet that a schmo like me could find was 0.010 in 3M Llumar. Better than the 0.080 paint protection, but I want MORE!

If ANYBODY knows how to get a sheet of 0.030 headlight protection film that is at least 15 inches wide, I'm all ears!

Last edited:
For anybody else who wishes to try this, I'm happy to offer some tips (assuming that like me, you don't apply PPF every day.)

I first used stiff paper to create a pattern of the window. (note that I cut holes through the paper, to stick it through the template to the glass). This was the step where I spent the most time. Testing and re-testing that template until I was happy with the fit. I left the edge toward the front of the car run long for maximum installation flexibility, and knowing (from testing) that cutting THAT edge after installation was the easiest to make perfect.

I then used a Sharpie to trace this onto my sheet of PPF (hint, ALWAYS warm the sheet up enough for it to lay flat. Don't make the mistake that I did, and try all of this in the cold garage with the sheet wavy from being rolled up in shipping. I did the first one that way, and the next one using warm sun to flatten the material. What a HUGE difference). Then, using my best scissors, I cut exactly on the line. Then I held the dry PPF (with backing on still, of course) to the window, and removed a few more slivers here and there until I was satisfied with the fit. With a spray bottle of slip mixture (a few drops of soap in water) and fix mixture (1/4 alcohol in water), I slapped it on there in a couple of minutes.

The part that made my job more difficult than it needed to be is the FIRST step I took, where I cut my new vinyl message and applied it to the glass in advance of the PPF. Getting the PPF to stick tight to those letters is going to take some days of drying, but so far it appears like it is going to work. I debated long and hard about putting my decal below or above the PPF film. Certainly the decal will last a lot longer behind the film, but it sure would have been easier to apply the film without the vinyl lumps under it!

190120.001.JPG

190122.001.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting to note that this report is from almost a year ago.

Any improvement yet?
Far as I can tell, there's been no improvement.

And honestly, I'd sure like these reports to stop equating the number of *reported* break-ins with the actual number of break-ins. There is simply NO way that all of these are reported. The number of actual incidents has to be higher than whatever number they have or reports. Of the people I've spoken with who've had their glass smashed, approximately 50% of reported it. I personally came *that* close to not bothering to report as well, but changed my mind simply because I wanted to be counted. And really, that was the only benefit to taking the time to make the report.

Last edited:
For anybody else who wishes to try this, I'm happy to offer some tips (assuming that like me, you don't apply PPF every day.)

I first used stiff paper to create a pattern of the window. (note that I cut holes through the paper, to stick it through the template to the glass). This was the step where I spent the most time. Testing and re-testing that template until I was happy with the fit. I left the edge toward the front of the car run long for maximum installation flexibility, and knowing (from testing) that cutting THAT edge after installation was the easiest to make perfect.

I then used a Sharpie to trace this onto my sheet of PPF (hint, ALWAYS warm the sheet up enough for it to lay flat. Don't make the mistake that I did, and try all of this in the cold garage with the sheet wavy from being rolled up in shipping. I did the first one that way, and the next one using warm sun to flatten the material. What a HUGE difference). Then, using my best scissors, I cut exactly on the line. Then I held the dry PPF (with backing on still, of course) to the window, and removed a few more slivers here and there until I was satisfied with the fit. With a spray bottle of slip mixture (a few drops of soap in water) and fix mixture (1/4 alcohol in water), I slapped it on there in a couple of minutes.

The part that made my job more difficult than it needed to be is the FIRST step I took, where I cut my new vinyl message and applied it to the glass in advance of the PPF. Getting the PPF to stick tight to those letters is going to take some days of drying, but so far it appears like it is going to work. I debated long and hard about putting my decal below or above the PPF film. Certainly the decal will last a lot longer behind the film, but it sure would have been easier to apply the film without the vinyl lumps under it!

View attachment 370803

View attachment 370804

There is an apparent issue with this.

Based on my actual circumstances, the perps would just break the window and peel the window inward/outward.

Might be better to use Carbon Weave Vinyl to cover the entire qtr glass, and then PPF.

My car is getting some work done and will test a couple of things and post.

from the article;

Of the nearly 30,000 car break-ins in San Francisco last year, the police department made arrests in just 1.7 percent of cases, totalling 790 arrests, according to data provided by the police department and district attorney’s office. Of those taken into custody, most were never sentenced to jail time.

What do people think happens when these criminals are released with no jail time? They just take their luck smashing and grabbing some more.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
What do people think happens when these criminals are released with no jail time? They just take their luck smashing and grabbing some more.

Or even with short jail time... Repeat and repeat.
I read stories about people charged with dozens of car break-ins.
Risk/reward appears not to be in our favor these days.

There is an apparent issue with this.

Based on my actual circumstances, the perps would just break the window and peel the window inward/outward.
Can you offer a bit more detail about your circumstance? Because in my case, the perp had a hell of a time just dealing with my interior tint on the glass. There was no "just peal the window inward/outward." He or she clearly struggled to penetrate the broken glass with intact tint, and when finally successful, the hole was no larger than a fist. With un-filmed glass, I often see almost all of the glass broken out of that window. Didn't happen with mine. And now that I've added PPF to the OTHER side of the glass, I just can't imagine this is going to be a case of "just break the window." Hell, I'm not even sure that a center punch is going to work the first or second time to crack the glass. And once cracked, that glass isn't going to go anywhere with the film sandwich I've made. Of course I'm only talking about that totally-framed quarter window. I agree that the door glass could just be folded down when busted... because of no frame.

Might be better to use Carbon Weave Vinyl to cover the entire qtr glass, and then PPF.
I guess the more layers the better... but what does the vinyl bring to the table that the PPF doesn't? Additionally, I already know from experience that the PPF will stick best to the glass (or paint) and not so well to vinyl. So I'm afraid that stacking the films would actually diminish the effectiveness. The adhesive on this PPF is amazingly strong to the glass. I put a test piece on, and after only one day or drying (on a damp, winter day) it was REALLY tough to remove.

Can you offer a bit more detail about your circumstance? Because in my case, the perp had a hell of a time just dealing with my interior tint on the glass. There was no "just peal the window inward/outward." He or she clearly struggled to penetrate the broken glass with intact tint, and when finally successful, the hole was no larger than a fist. With un-filmed glass, I often see almost all of the glass broken out of that window. Didn't happen with mine. And now that I've added PPF to the OTHER side of the glass, I just can't imagine this is going to be a case of "just break the window." Hell, I'm not even sure that a center punch is going to work the first or second time to crack the glass. And once cracked, that glass isn't going to go anywhere with the film sandwich I've made. Of course I'm only talking about that totally-framed quarter window. I agree that the door glass could just be folded down when busted... because of no frame.

I guess the more layers the better... but what does the vinyl bring to the table that the PPF doesn't? Additionally, I already know from experience that the PPF will stick best to the glass (or paint) and not so well to vinyl. So I'm afraid that stacking the films would actually diminish the effectiveness. The adhesive on this PPF is amazingly strong to the glass. I put a test piece on, and after only one day or drying (on a damp, winter day) it was REALLY tough to remove.

I think we are getting somewhere with this, and Im not the sharpest tool in the shed...

I have to find the surveillance video but it was my other ICE vehicle which has the similar qtr glass windows.

End result, the perp broke the window with what I think is porcelain or something as you can see them throwing it. When that hits glass, its shatters instantly (you can google Porcelain breaking glass) but with tint installed, its like glass that shattered but held structurally in place by the tint but still flimsy with no support to hold it up. You can literally push the top in and push the glass sheet with tint downward like a soft blanket.

I can confirm that PPF will stick to anything if applied correctly, even vinyl. I literally have it installed everywhere.

I really leaning towards Vinyl on outside with PPF layer on outside and single piece PPF on the inside. Cured and dried correctly, it should be pretty painful for someone to remove.

To be honest, that qtr glass is quite pointless IMO, and if I can avoid having to worry about my car, then ill do what it takes to ensure that.

While looking into this situation, I found many video describing how to break window glass easily.
I vote we refrain from discussing those here too much as it could just spread the ideas to more people.

I also realized that some of these break-ins would result in the thief obtaining yet another emergency escape tool from the cars that they ransack.

This should help: Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Elon Musk Retweeted Andy Sutton

Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot
Need to fire up the ol' rumor mill again! What will this "Sentry Mode" entail? And why the heck would it be tied to AP? Wouldn't it be great if we could view all the camera feeds from the app, with alerts? Part of me is a bit afraid that maybe it'll allow the cameras to record on the thumbdrive like the dash cam... offering us not much more than a record of what happened. But hey, I'm all for *anything* that may help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.