Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or it could be muscle memory. Break, Put Seat Down, Look, Break, Put Seat Down, Look......
It probably won't even cross his mind to look first to see if seat is down. To make sure he would look first, you really have to roll down the back windows a few inches.

When our MS was broken into, we shared dashcam footage with a fellow Tesla victim curious about the guys who had victimized our cars. The team of guys in his case in a Costco parking lot at night were all peering into the windows before they took any action to break a window. I suspect they do take the time to look.

I don't know if it's been posted here yet...and it doesn't have a Tesla in it but a few months back, Inside Edition did a story about smash and grab robberies. They used a bait car in the San Francisco area and it was quickly broken into. While they were reviewing security footage of the robbery from a house nearby, different thieves broke into the Inside Edition vehicle.

I had security film installed, and there's no question that it was a hindrance. Other images I've seen of broken glass had a huge hole back here. Mine has a hole in it the size of a fist, and nothing more. So everything they did was one-handed, trying to see through dark tint. Once they pawed through and found the damp towel, that was the end of it.

Can you share what type of film you used?

For those who are interested the following aftermarket product just came on the market (with some reviews):

Drop-Lock
Innovative Tesla Model 3 Seat Lock Aims To Reduce Break-Ins | CleanTechnica
Tesla Model 3 Rear Seat Lock Is Pure Genius: Video

Seems rather pricey for what is basically a piece of plastic, but they can afford to do that for now since it is the only product out there. Hard to say how effective it is. I’d expect additional aftermarket products to follow soon.

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

• Funny
Reactions: xilex
Parked at Bridgepointe shopping center San Mateo (bay area). Security with flashing yellow lights was at other end of this very large parking lot. Shiny black Nissan with chrome wheels, young hispanic driver, no license plates, pull up next to my 3. He stuck his head out of his window and peer into my back seat. Stayed for a minute and then move on. I had the seats folded down and nothing in the trunk.

I will not buy another 3 or recommend for bay area folks until this is fixed, Simple fix move the seat release into the trunk and update all existing 3s.

I wonder how they will deal with this in Europe.

I knew of a house at the edge of a tight curve in the street. Over the years many speeding cars jumped the curb and ran into the house.
The owner had enough and put a giant rock in his yard right where the cars kept driving over his lawn into the side of his bedroom.
The next car that jumped the curb ran into the rock and they sued the homeowner for the rock...

I was once involved in a very similar case, where a homeowner's mailbox on a curve was taken out repeatedly by out-of-control cars -- so he replaced its wooden post with a 10-inch I-beam set into a deep concrete base. The next out-of-control car that hit it had 4 teenagers in it, and three of them died. It turned out to be an almost open-and-shut civil case, as all the previous accidents put the homeowner on notice about the risk. Fortunately, he had a very large insurance policy, and the case settled almost immediately for policy limit. The lesson: don't do stupid things than can be anticipated to hurt someone, at least in the US.

For those who are interested the following aftermarket product just came on the market (with some reviews):

Drop-Lock
Indeed. As our resident Ninja pointed out, I posted that at noon yesterday. :) But... what's this you say about some reviews being posted? I've not seen any, and they aren't shipping it yet. I'd love to see reviews if you've got them.

Seems rather pricey for what is basically a piece of plastic, but they can afford to do that for now since it is the only product out there.
Just like when you purchase software that costs 14c per copy on a DVD (or nothing with a download), you aren't paying just for a copy of the product. You are paying for the time, effort, expense (especially multiple, expensive failures) inherent in the development of almost any product. This stuff doesn't just pop into existence. It takes money, time and dedication. I'm a bit sensitive to this idea that nothing should cost more than the raw materials cost that were used to make the product. Please have some respect for those who innovate and take risks to create the improvements that we all want.

I will not buy another 3 or recommend for bay area folks until this is fixed, Simple fix move the seat release into the trunk and update all existing 3s.

I am thinking the same things too. For the fix to be effective, they also need to change the exterior of car to differentiate the new version from the existing ones, adding a special emblem won't work. So this might be hard. Hope Model Y is designed right.

This is not just a Tesla thing. In San Francisco all cars are vulnerable to these smash and grab thieves. You see broken glass in parking lots and street parking near any tourist area or sports events.
Yes, that's of course true. No self-respecting thief would turn down a handy target if a Model three wasn't readily available for them. Teslas - and specifically Model 3's right now - are still the biggest target. Just call any high-end auto glass business in the SF Bay Area to discover which car's glass replacement work they can't keep up with.

Reactions: OutofPocket
I had security film installed, and there's no question that it was a hindrance. Other images I've seen of broken glass had a huge hole back here. Mine has a hole in it the size of a fist, and nothing more. So everything they did was one-handed, trying to see through dark tint. Once they pawed through and found the damp towel, that was the end of it.

I have not heard of security film for windows before. What brand did you use?

Note that security film will make it harder to break through the glass but you'll still have a broken window. Actually you might have two broken windows, assuming that you only put the security film on the small triangular piece of glass and none on the rear door windows. Once the thief realizes that he/she can't get through the small window, he/she might just break the large window on the chance you're protecting something valuable in the trunk.

I have not heard of security film for windows before. What brand did you use?
3M Scotchshield. Nothing will prevent intrusion, but this definitely slows it down. Images of other broken windows often shows the glass totally broken out. In my case, the eventual hole was barely the size of a fist, and since they ended up not taking anything from my totally full trunk except for a damp towel... I'm calling it a relative win.

Status
Not open for further replies.